1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to find what app is turning on proximity sensor

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ev7, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Ev7

Ev7 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    A few days ago, after using my S5 for a over a year with no problems, I noticed that my battery was going down faster than normal and that my TV remote (TIVO) was very unreliable when the phone was in the same room. That made me suspicious so I looked at my phone using my digital camera. I found that the proximity sensor was on bright even though no call was in progress. (The camera can see UV light.)

Once the light comes on when no call is in progress, it stays on until I reboot my phone. It stays on even when the screen is locked or off. The only way to turn off the proximity sensor light seems to be rebooting the phone.

How can I find out what app or other process is turning it on when no call is in progress?

Many thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Try tapping on the phone icon, then menu, then scroll to call settings from there uncheck turn off screen during calls. That disables the proximity sensor.

Now use one of your most frequent apps then make a call. If the screen turns off while ypur listening that app probably turned it back on.

Daniel Fernandes and mikedt like this.
  3. Ev7

Ev7 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks. I'll try that. However when the sensor is off and I make a call it comes on for the duration of the call only. So that is working as it should. Never-the-less turning it off for diagnostic purposes is a good idea.

I do not know how Android works but, as a long time ago writer of operating systems, I would think that an app could not turn the light on directly but would have to ask the system to do it. Android should know what resources each app is using and could turn it off once all users of that resource have shut down, even if apps did not explicitly release it as they should. That does not seem to be happening.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.