• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the official Android 2.2.1 update for the Motorola Droid (FRG83D)

After reading the replies here, and having already renamed my .bak files back to .apk, I let the OTA update proceed. All went well. I lost root access as expected, but got it back quickly with SuperOneClick.

I'm still confused by what you said above. Clearly my rooted Droid had nothing that blocked the OTA update. Are you using the term "rooting" to refer to more than just gaining root access to the device? I'm not trying to argue, I just want to clear up my confusion.

Sorry about that. I'm losing my mind right now.

Anyways, I was mistaken about what I said. The script I was think of actually helps prevent your custom recover from changing back to stock (assuming you decide to flash a custom recovery).

Kratos

Upvote 0
when I run I am getting

Finding update package...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/twitter.apk", "2acad.....","def...")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I uninstalled twitter (1.0.1) the other day using titanium and now titanium won't let me restore?!?

I tried installing from the market but it is version 1.0.5 or some such thing and I still get the above error

:(

Any ideas how to get past this

Upvote 0
when I run I am getting

Finding update package...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/twitter.apk", "2acad.....","def...")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I uninstalled twitter (1.0.1) the other day using titanium and now titanium won't let me restore?!?

I tried installing from the market but it is version 1.0.5 or some such thing and I still get the above error

:(

Any ideas how to get past this

Two options.

Get the twitter.apk from someone with FRG22D and restore it to that location. You will lose root if you you install the patch with this method.

Another way is to extract the update.zip and edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script. You can comment out the assert/install lines for twitter (line 218/781). If you're going to be doing this, you can also disable the steps that will overrwrite your custom recovery (line 1054) and fix root permissions by adding this line after line 1057:
PHP:
set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
Once you made these changes, rezip the update.zip and you will be good to go. Note that I use sprecovery to install these by booting into it then choosing "allow update.zip/install update zip" steps.

FYI in the future, use the Titantium Backup "Freeze" feature for system apps if you want to remove, if you do this, the updater will still be able to patch the files and the updater-script will require fewer edits to work.

Thanks for posting the update.zip here Kratos, I was able to update my "self-rooted" Google OTA FRG22D using this zip with the edits I described above.

Upvote 0
Two options.

Get the twitter.apk from someone with FRG22D and restore it to that location. You will lose root if you you install the patch with this method.

Another way is to extract the update.zip and edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script. You can comment out the assert/install lines for twitter (line 218/781). If you're going to be doing this, you can also disable the steps that will overrwrite your custom recovery (line 1054) and fix root permissions by adding this line after line 1057:
PHP:
set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
Once you made these changes, rezip the update.zip and you will be good to go. Note that I use sprecovery to install these by booting into it then choosing "allow update.zip/install update zip" steps.

FYI in the future, use the Titantium Backup "Freeze" feature for system apps if you want to remove, if you do this, the updater will still be able to patch the files and the updater-script will require fewer edits to work.

sounds good and thanks for the tip on the Titanium - I am new to it and thought backup backedup the app

One question - what is the comment character? for this scripting language - I will repost the modified version
Thanks

Upvote 0
Interesting. I have the DInc now so I don't usually bother in this forum anymore, however, my gf has the OG D1 and she tried applying the update on a stock rooted 2.2 ROM and it took her to Clockwork and then rebooted. Notification for OTA is gone but she is still at 2.2 and not 2.2.1

This update is non-rooted phones only. If you want it, you either need to unroot, update, reroot or flash basically any ROM currently available, as almost all of them are based on this update.

However, I wouldn't worry about it much as this update is very, very minor and basically only fixed exchange issues.

Kratos

Upvote 0
This update is non-rooted phones only. If you want it, you either need to unroot, update, reroot or flash basically any ROM currently available, as almost all of them are based on this update.

However, I wouldn't worry about it much as this update is very, very minor and basically only fixed exchange issues.

Kratos

This is the kind of statement that leads to confusion, particularly among those who root solely to run apps that require root. Rooted phones *can* be updated successfully without unrooting first. I rooted using SuperOneClick, and my rooted Droid updated without a hitch, and without unrooting first. Maybe other methods of rooting will cause the update to fail; I don't really know. But I do know that the blanket statement regarding the update being for non-rooted phones only is not true.

Changes I made to the stock apps had to be reversed before attempting the update, but that's a separate issue. I think the underlying assumption for the blanket statement is that everyone who roots also does x, y, and z. This may be true in the majority of cases, but not for everyone.

Upvote 0
This is the kind of statement that leads to confusion, particularly among those who root solely to run apps that require root. Rooted phones *can* be updated successfully without unrooting first. I rooted using SuperOneClick, and my rooted Droid updated without a hitch, and without unrooting first. Maybe other methods of rooting will cause the update to fail; I don't really know. But I do know that the blanket statement regarding the update being for non-rooted phones only is not true.

Changes I made to the stock apps had to be reversed before attempting the update, but that's a separate issue. I think the underlying assumption for the blanket statement is that everyone who roots also does x, y, and z. This may be true in the majority of cases, but not for everyone.

I wasn't trying to be confusing.

The people I have talked to (with the exception of a few) have state that this update has failed if they are rooted. And by this I mean that they have root access, but are not running custom ROMs. They are simply using root only apps. Therefore, that is why I made the statement that you should unroot first, as a way to prevent any problems and ensure that the update is successful.

Kratos

Upvote 0

The people I have talked to (with the exception of a few) have state that this update has failed if they are rooted. And by this I mean that they have root access, but are not running custom ROMs. They are simply using root only apps. Therefore, that is why I made the statement that you should unroot first, as a way to prevent any problems and ensure that the update is successful.

Kratos

My gf is rooted on the stock ROM and the update wouldn't apply. I appreciate the information though. She just wanted a few rooted only apps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Kratos

I didn't think you were (or ever would be) trying to be confusing. I guess this falls under the "your mileage may vary" disclaimer.

Upvote 0
Check out post #8 on this thread:
http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/233755-help-frg83d-root.html

To apply the update and keep root, simply download update.zip, then unzip and edit \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script with the changes listed. You'll have to use Notepad++ on Windows systems. Re-zip then file, then apply from custom recovery.

I can verify this works! I updated to FRG83D, and still have root!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones