• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get email permanently on the phone?

Andrzey

Sep 9, 2010
I set up email as soon as I got the phone to my roadrunner account (pop-server), everything O.K.

This weekend I logged on to roadrunner via computer downloaded all email to outlook and deleted the mail from the server.
(I store all emails locally and not on the email server as they have limits and I do not, just to answer why)

Now when I went to the phone all my email was gone from the inbox. It looks like the phone actually synchs to the server and does not store a copy of the email locally. Strange as the deleted emails are still on the phone so they are store locally (what are developers thinking???).

Anyway, is there a way, some setting I am missing to store emails locally on the phone?

Thanks in advance.

Go into your Gmail account (or create a new one) and set it up to check the messages (gmail>settings>accounts and imports). You can set it up so that if you send an email from it, it will show the roadrunner address. Set it up so that it leaves the email on the server. Also, go to Outlook>tools>email accounts>View or Change existing e-mail accounts>highlight the account by clicking>change>more settings>advanced Look towards the bottom and change the delivery option to "Remove from server after" at least one day. This will make sure the gmail (or you phone) has a chance to poll it. You could leave on longer, if you want to skip gmail checking it. You could also set it to leave on the server until it is deleted from deleted items.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

If I understand what you are saying.
Set up another email account, in this case gmail, retrieving messages from roadrunner.
Set that up on my phone and never touch any messages on the gmail account, that way they will remain on my phone until deleted by the server.
(This would essentially be the same as setting up roadrunner to forward the emails to gmail account)

Yes this would do what I want but it does not seem correct?
I should be able to store my phones inbox locally the same way the deleted emails are stored. (another work around would be to delete all emails as they arrive and just use the Trash folder as my inbox)

I guess I will have to use one of these work a rounds for now.

Upvote 0
I know what you are saying and agree, but it isn't the same as forwarding since if you set up a forward and replied to it, you would be replying to yourself too. There is another advantage also. Since Gmail is push instead of pull, you in theory would save battery life. Keep in mind, that you are going to set it up so that when you reply to a message send to you RR account, it will show that is came from that RR account, not gmail. I have a Yahoo account that I have had for over 10 years now, and I was having issues with yahoo's inbox taking forever to load messages. I was looking for a solution that didn't require all my contacts to change my email address and cause confusion. I did this, and it is working outstanding. My friends and family don't even realize that anything has changed. Give it a try, it is easy to set up and easy to stop also. You might even decided to drop outlook altogether. Gmail's inbox is a little different though, I hated it at first but now I like it. Just takes some getting used too.

Reactions: Andrzey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones