• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to get rid of popup ads?

gmcshave

Lurker
Jul 19, 2013
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I have a problem with pop-up adds on my phone. These are not notifications, I have disabled those for all apps and don't get any spam in my notifications area. These are pop-up adds that pop up and must be dismissed before I can proceed with using the device. I find that they most commonly appear when I resume the phone from sleep. I have attached a screen shot of one so you can see what I'm talking about.

I have installed the various apps recommended in this and other forums (addons detector, airpush detector, ad network detector) and run scans. These show that I do have several ad networks on the phone and associate them with apps. My question is now that I have this information how do I proceed? Is there a way to determine which add network(s) are doing the popups so I can remove just those games? Will removing the offending game(s) also remove the add network or are there further steps required to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 13742709419490.jpg
    13742709419490.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 241
Thanks funkylogik. I tried that and most all the add networks say they " are capable of displaying standard in-app ads". Since my adds pop-up out side of adds I don't think these ones are the culprit. There is one network (TapJoy) that says it is an incentivized offer ad network and app developers are rewarded for actions like referral based downloads. Do you think this might be the one causing the pop-ups?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks funkylogik. I tried that and most all the add networks say they " are capable of displaying standard in-app ads". Since my adds pop-up out side of adds I don't think these ones are the culprit. There is one network (TapJoy) that says it is an incentivized offer ad network and app developers are rewarded for actions like referral based downloads. Do you think this might be the one causing the pop-ups?

Uninstall and find out.

Upvote 0
If you cannot figure out which apps are causing the popups, uninstall in groups of 5 at a time making note of which 5 are uninstalled. Run for a day or so and if you still have the popups, uninstall 5 more apps. Rinse and repeat until you've narrowed a group down, then reinstall 1 app from that group. Run a day to see if there's ads. Rinse and repeat till you've found the culprit.

Process of elimination is your best and only solution if you cannot figure it out by any other means. Unless you want to reset the phone.

In the future, I recommend reading lots of the comments left for an app before installing it. People will scream if an app has annoying ads.

Upvote 0
I have an app called Airpush Adware Detector. It tells me which apps contain adware. It has listed recently some apps which I deleted long ago have left traces that still run adware included some apps I have had on previous phones with the same number. I have refreshed the list many times yet the adware parts remain. Also there is a Verizon Cloud app that contains adware and Verizon makes there apps undeletable on their phone. I bought the phone from them and pay a monthly fee to use it, why should I have to deal with crapware? I can only conclude that the deleted apps stay resident and upon deletion leave traces in Google Cloud backup that stay active and follow me even on to a phone upgrade. Help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones