• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to mute camera shutter sound

Aah this the changelog of AOSP upgrade from GB to ICS, I was really hoping for a galaxy S2 specific changelog :(

But unfortunately Sammy doesn't release those :(

I guess the patch is probably S2 specific that's why it doesn't show up on this changelog.
why would samsung make s2 camera change only? if shutter sound is a privacy issue it should apply to all phones

Upvote 0
This *is* a security issue, but the issue is that - for security reasons - I want to be able to mute the camera shutter sound permanently.

The specific use case is that if my phone is stolen then I can use (for example) the androidlost app to remotely take a photo with the camera (that app's "send a message popup and take a photo with the front camera when "OK" is clicked and send that photo to the server/email).

However, if the camera makes a shutter sound then the thief is effectively alerted that his photo has just been taken, which may not be the desired effect, particularly if multiple pictures are needed to capture the thief's face to pass to the police as an aid to retrieving the stolen phone.

So: Is there any way to just switch off the shutter sound?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones