1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

how to mute camera shutter sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaliy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

I remember in 2.3 u just set system volume to 0
    Now with 4.0.3 I have to mute the entire phone to do that?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

As far as I figured/know you need to have root access or use a third party camera app to mute the camera shutter sound.

(if someone else knows better please do tell)

3. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

so they patched the camera shutter and made it more strict?

4. Forbidden 403

apparently yes.

5. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

interesting i coudlnt' find anything on the ics changelog

6. Forbidden 403

can you post the link to the ICS changelog, I myself haven't had a look at it yet.

evohicks likes this.
  7. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

Forbidden 403 likes this.
  8. Forbidden 403

Aah this the changelog of AOSP upgrade from GB to ICS, I was really hoping for a galaxy S2 specific changelog :(

But unfortunately Sammy doesn't release those :(

I guess the patch is probably S2 specific that's why it doesn't show up on this changelog.

9. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

why would samsung make s2 camera change only? if shutter sound is a privacy issue it should apply to all phones

10. Kibbster

Kibbster Android Expert

Agrred.
    It's damn annoying!
    :(

11. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

It takes just 1 second to bring down the notification bar and mute the sound before you open the camera! ;)

12. Forbidden 403

Ok.. weird thing..

I was playing with my firmware (as usual) and now I can silence the shutter sound again.

I guess it's a region thing. I was playing with the CSC of the firmware.

13. socialphobia

socialphobia Newbie

It's not a fix but a work around... Put the phone on mute or mute/vibrate and no more camera shutter sound.

14. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

I can always mute the shutter with silent mode but it's annoying
    Used to be linked to system volume

15. Forbidden 403

That's the weird thing, it's now re-linked with the system volume :eek:

16. quocker

quocker Lurker

This *is* a security issue, but the issue is that - for security reasons - I want to be able to mute the camera shutter sound permanently.

The specific use case is that if my phone is stolen then I can use (for example) the androidlost app to remotely take a photo with the camera (that app's "send a message popup and take a photo with the front camera when "OK" is clicked and send that photo to the server/email).

However, if the camera makes a shutter sound then the thief is effectively alerted that his photo has just been taken, which may not be the desired effect, particularly if multiple pictures are needed to capture the thief's face to pass to the police as an aid to retrieving the stolen phone.

So: Is there any way to just switch off the shutter sound?

17. IRQ Conflict

IRQ Conflict Newbie

Might be able to just delete the sound file from the system. Haven't tried as I don't find the minimal sound to be much of a bother.

18. lisadupreez

lisadupreez Lurker

I'd love to have the sound off! I love taking photos of my sleeping baby - the loud shutter sound wakes her up. I've tried muting the sound/vibration, but it still makes a loud sound.
    Someone suggested going into the setting/sound/volume and making the SYSTEM sound set to zero - that didn't work either...

19. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried holding a finger over the speaker hole while taking a photo? Not ideal, but a whole lot quieter.

20. mike rosoff

mike rosoff Newbie

I simply don't use the stock camera app. Just install camera 360. It has the option to turn off that annoying shutter sound.

IRQ Conflict likes this.
  21. IRQ Conflict

IRQ Conflict Newbie

Yup, saw that option in camera 360 the other day when I was messing with the settings.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews