• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to read signal db level

Raptor5150

Android Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2011
Ok so i decided to switch my triumph running cm9 to signal db or noise instead of bars.. right now its at -91 whats considered bad and good levels (i know stick with the bars they are easier to read blah blah :p) i hear that signal db is alot more accurate so could someone give me a positive to negative scale based on the numbers that are used?

thanks

The -91 is dBm, the lower that number the better. From memory, it basically measures how much interference/background noise there is against a reference level. I'd say -91 is average, mine normally sits at around 75-95 at home.

You then have something called ASU which I think stands for Active Set Updates and is something to do with how fast your phone can get a reading from the nearest cell tower. It's been a while since I read up on the topic so I'm a little hazy.

There's a good app called Network Signal Info which will give you detailed info on signal strength/WiFi etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones