• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root (Be Gentle)

Jools

Lurker
Feb 18, 2011
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Android and I'm not really a 'techie'. I appreciate I'm responding on a post that was running between May-November last year, but I, too, would welcome some help/advice on how to kill services that are running on my HTC Desire and seem to drastically shorten its battery life (and I'm not talking about my hours spent playing Angry Birds!).

My Desire is running on the UK's Orange service and, as noted by DanC, Orange uses its own ROM. I've contacted HTC and they say there's no 'generic' ROM that I can download and install to replace the Orange ROM. However - and as backed up Twisted_Mind - there would seem to be generic ROMs that can be installed on the Desire (he quotes the 'modaco r3' ROM).

My problem is that I haven't got a clue about removing the existing ROM and installing a new ROM. I'd be very worried about permanently diabling my phone if I got it wrong, or if the ROM was incompatible with my phone.

Is there anywhere that I can get absolutely, perfectly clear, 100% 'idiot-proof', step-by-step guidelines on how to replace the ROM? Finally, apart from Flickr (which seems to be an HTC, rather than an Orange, application), there are several 'Orange' applications (e.g. demos of games) that I don't want/need on my phone, but can't seem to delete. Is replacing the ROM the only way to delete/uninstall these Orange apps, or is there another way that doesn't involve replacing the ROM?

Apologies for the length of this post (my first!).

Regards,

Jools

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones