• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root my HTC Desire with version 2.2.2 and 2.29.405.14 ? :S

You do have to use Revolutionary with that software version - it's too recent for Unrevoked.

Revolutionary should prompt you for the beta key, but it sounds like it's not communicating with the phone. Have you tried different USB ports (certainly do not use a USB hub)? Or a different cable?

I fear it may be something to do with drivers, but as long as you didn't uninstall those when you remove HTC Sync that should all be OK. Unfortunately I do not use Windows for this type of thing, so have never had to debug driver issues.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the moment with the tips about drivers and USB-hubs, im going to test that when i come home (i'm in school right now ^^ )

Ah, good catch! Charge only won't be what the app expects.
Aha, i thought i should use "Charge only". What would i choose instead? Or should i test every choice?

Do you mean "app" as Revolutionary-program for PCs?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the moment with the tips about drivers and USB-hubs, im going to test that when i come home (i'm in school right now ^^ )

Aha, i thought i should use "Charge only". What would i choose instead? Or should i test every choice?

Do you mean "app" as Revolutionary-program for PCs?

Yes the Revolutionary windows app is what Hadron is referring to.

As for connecting to PC it is something like "connect as usb mass storage". If that doesn't work try the other options.

Upvote 0
hello!

Now i have tried with different USB-cables and without USB-hub.

I tried run Revolutionary during in the BootLoader. The BootLoader says "HBOOT USB PLUG" and the device manager says
- Android Phone
+ "Android BootLoader Interface" (version 2.0.10.2, 2009-08-11 when i go to properties)

And Revolutionary says the "Waiting for device..."

I also Pressed the POWER-Key on FASTBOOT-choiise in the BootLoader, and then the device manager changes to:
-ADB Interface
+ HTC Bootloader

And Revolutionary says the "Waiting for device..."

When the Android OS is loaded/booted:

If i chosse "Charge only" or "Disk drive" the device manager says
- Android Phone
+ Android Composite ADB Interface
like this:

Is it in order with that "Android Composite ADB Interface"? Why does some people have "My HTC" and things?

Upvote 0
Also please confirm that you did all of the following:

Prerequisite steps

Read the Rooting FAQ to understand what it is you are doing. Also ensure you read the FAQ for information on RUU's and goldcards and how they affect you.
Install HTC Sync
Remove HTC sync (application only) via Control panel (add remove programs / programs and features) - This should leave the drivers behind, which we need to keep.
uninstall any android explorer apps such as myphone explorer and disable AntiVirus (mainly AVG but maybe others)
Ensure if you have used a trick to force apps to SD card, you have undone this.
Install the Hboot drivers:

Extract your hboot driver files somewhere you will remember.
Boot into Hboot screen (from off, hold volume down and press power)
Connect Desire to PC (the screen will then show "HBOOT USB")
Right click "My computer" > Manage > Device Manager
Expand "Other Devices" in the right-hand pain and locate "Android 1.0 device"
Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software
Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder you extracted earlier (press OK to any errors received and Close when complete)
Check Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone in device manager.

***Please note, This Hboot driver only works correctly when the phone is in the Hboot screen. If the device is not at the hboot screen, the driver will not show correctly as essentially the device is not present.

Note that although the above is not in the guide to Rooting with Revolutionary it is linked from within the guide.

Reactions: 8DEAMON8
Upvote 0
Bit late at night for me to advise in any detail. I used CM7 on the Desire, but not Data2SD.

But there is something strange there: CM7 should fit in 145 MB, but that image shows you've filled the 250MB partition. So what else have you flashed to system? Obviously a Google apps package, since CM doesn't include that, but which one? And anything else, because that still seems too large to me. Or have you moved other apps to system?

CM7 with a simple apps to sd script should work just fine in that phone without repartitioning internal storage. In fact on the Desire people would normally shrink the system partition rather than enlarge it. So the key here is to work out why you are using 100MB more system space than that ROM needs?

(I suspect the solution will be to reflash the ROM without some addition or other, but don't yet know what).

Upvote 0
Hello..

Hmm, i copied out the entire /system-directory to the SD-card with Total Comander-android app to see the real size and if my Partition-program works well. The size of the system-directory is 343 MB when i right click and select Properties in Windows :S.

You wonder if i tried to install Google Apps-packages... Yes i tried but it failed. The installation of the gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip in Revolutionary-recovery mode sucesses but when i startup the HTC with CM7, no or just some Google apps are available. Anyway Google Apps dont seem to install sucessfullt. It was a long time ago i tried this. 1

Upvote 0
I think that's a KitKat Google apps package. CM7.2 is Gingerbread. You can find a version that will work here: http://goo.im/gapps. Just choose the one for CM7. But given that your system partition seems full it may not work anyway - if so you'll have to reinstall the ROM first.

The system partition of the phone is 250 MB unless you are using a custom mtd or hboot. I don't know why Windows would report larger, but remember it isn't seeing the system partition but the result of a copy using Total Commander. If you were using a Sense 3 ROM it might be that part of /system was linked on SD, but CM7 doesn't do that.

There will always be a data partition on the phone. These scripts, whether the more normal apps2sd or data2sd, work by creating directories on the card and linking to them on the phone so that it uses the space on the card without realising it. Depending on how the directory lookup or copy is done it can look like one is empty or both contain the same stuff.

If you want to start from scratch, you wipe the phone (from recovery that should wipe both) and reinstall the ROM.

I've only used apps2sd solutions with CM, not data2sd, so can't comment in detail on that. The difference is just moving apps and dalvik cache rather than all data. Data2sd seemed unnecessary to me (I could get enough space by other means), and more likely to slow the phone, and placed a greater load on the least reliable component (the SD card), so never appealed to me.

Upvote 0
So, i have to summerize here i think.

I formatted the /system-partition (through recoverymode) before i installed the CM7 and now the Partitions Info Lite says that /system have 133 mb of space used instead of 249 MB. And of course i did wipe /data and /cache also before installing CM7.

And i continued to use this Data2SDInstallerX1.zip with ext4-partitons and things seem to work well.

Reactions: nicka3200
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones