• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to store website for offline browsing?

harrypt

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
I seen this asked a few times, but no good answers.

I want to save my company website on an Android tablet so that I can make presentations in client offices without having to ask for their wifi password. Would need to go just a few pages deep.

Any good way to do this?

Thanks.

Opera Mobile accomplishes the same thing, and is a world class browser to boot, able to view offline and online pages. Something named Offline Browser might not do the same
That feature in Opera works for only pages, not whole websites. What if the website has 100 pages? Are you going to click through all 100 pages and manually save them all? Based on the description, Offline Browser appears to save full websites up to 4 links deep.

I'm not sure what the OP means in terms of "a few pages deep." That could mean "deep" in terms of how far it drills down as opposed to "a few pages" (literally three or four independent pages).

Upvote 0
Okay thanks for the responses, I got away from this over the Holidays but am back.

The Offline Browser app seems to be on the right track, but it doesn't seem to handle Flash and I get "file not found" on the second click even though it's supposed to go four clicks deep. If this is the best solution, I can present without the flash but four clicks may not be deep enough.

It looks like you can save the page another way, import to the sd card and use the app to view. I'll have to work on that, anyone know how to do it that can save me some time?

Upvote 0
This is not an answer. this is a journal entry I am releasing online that documents how i made my website work offline and on an android tablet, and is not meant to be recreated. consult an IT professional for all your IT needs.
1: I needed Polaris Office
2: I needed Opera browser.
3. I emailed the entire website to myself in a zip file and downloaded it in google mail online (the email program on my tablet didn't let me download the zip file)
4. I Saved the website zip file in local memory.
5. I extracted the zip file
6. I Made sure all referenced links and pictures/graphics in the website were relative, not hard format (ie. not '<a href="Example Domain">' but '<a href="big.jpg">').
6. I Opened Polaris office.
7. I selected my default webpage (either default.html or index.html) in the polaris shell-like screen after choosing local storage
8. I selected Opera to open it
9. I selected one time only
10. Since all referenced graphics and addresses are made in a relative format, it worked for me
Best Regards,
Chris
Houma Publishing Inc., President
houmapublishing.com

Upvote 0
You can try scraping/downloading the whole site on your PC. Which is the same as doing..
Code:
cd /sdcard/
wget -m http://www.nameofyoursite
...that @aysiu suggested. ...and then copy it to your phone's or tablet's storage. Then you should be able to open it by navigating to the index.htm file with a file browser. May not work though if the site uses server-side scripting to dynamically generate pages. i.e. the site uses a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress.

Code:
$ wget -m http://www.amazon.com
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I seen this asked a few times, but no good answers.

I want to save my company website on an Android tablet so that I can make presentations in client offices without having to ask for their wifi password. Would need to go just a few pages deep.

Any good way to do this?

Thanks.

Can't you just download the code/files/folders and store them as a local folder on your tablet?

I create/run/admin about a dozen sites and I have them all on folders on my local machines that sync to the server. I can run all of them offline (only exception being pages that require Internet access)

Instapaper, Pocket et al store pages and probably allow you to nav the site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones