• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How-to Thread For ADB SHELL

Is the Thread Helpful enough to sticky it?

• Yes

Votes: 48 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
Ok so I had the same prob as many of you are having. ADB is not seeing my behold or odin says to connect phones. The way I got it to see it is like this;
First: go Menu>Settings>Application settings>Development in here you want to make sure the USB Debugging is checked.

Next: got to the home screen and go Menu>Phone settings>USB settings here you want to select Samsung PC Studio

NOTE: If you don't see this option under the USB settings then I think you are using a home replacement or something similar. Either way you need to select Samsung PC studio.

After that simply connect it and let the computer install whatever drivers it thinks it needs chances are if you are using win7 it will not be successful even if it is theres more work to be done.

Now: download and install the drivers that have been so graciously provided from here Alternate Drivers Don't for get to unzip them to a folder you can find easily

NOTE: It most likely will fail to install them but it sets up for whats next.

Now this is where I got my phone to work with windows

Turn your phone off wait about 10 secs after the screen goes blank then put it in download mode by pressing the following buttons in order and holding them until you see download mode on the screen.
Volume down+Dpad center button+Power button

Once in download mode your computer should recognize the 3 different devices in the phone. From here simply go to the device manager and click on the items with yellow signs next to them and look for the drivers in the folder you unzipped them to.

One driver may give you some error about not being signed, ignore it its all good. Now in order to use the ADB drivers on win7 and maybe others you have to restart your computer and press f8 before it loads windows. You'll be given a menu to chose stuff from you want the item second to last right above "start windows normally" it should read something like Disable driver signature or something. select that and then windows loads up you should have no problem with adb seeing your device. Prob is you have to do that every time you adb. I'm trying to see if I can make it permanent or if I can hack a use able sig for the driver. No promises.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse anyone worse than they already are.

Reactions: shauma
Upvote 0
This is the message I get when trying to move to system. I just rooted my phone yesterday just so I could do this. I did adb install TwMms.apk instead and this worked.

Since rooting I noticed more dropped calls I don't this has anything to do with rooting or removing the original TwMms.apk. So I'm not sure why this is happening now.

failed to copy 'C:\AndroidSDK\tools\TwMms.apk' to '/system/app/TwMms.apk': Permission denied

Upvote 0
Ok... I put in
adb shell
cd /system/app

This is what appears:

C:\Users\Me>adb shell
#cd /system/app
cd/system/app
#

I have tried exiting and typing the command again to no avail. I am just trying to get a list of applications so I can take some off.

Once you are in adb shell and cd to the folder you want you need to type "ls" to list what is in the folder. My personal recommendation when you are playing around is to adb pull /system/app to your pc. Its easier to look at and you have all the apps in the folder backed up in case you accidentally delete something important.

Reactions: LiamSHepard
Upvote 0
This is the message I get when trying to move to system. I just rooted my phone yesterday just so I could do this. I did adb install TwMms.apk instead and this worked.

Since rooting I noticed more dropped calls I don't this has anything to do with rooting or removing the original TwMms.apk. So I'm not sure why this is happening now.

failed to copy 'C:\AndroidSDK\tools\TwMms.apk' to '/system/app/TwMms.apk': Permission denied

Go back to your command line and type adb shell. Do you get a $ or a #?

Upvote 0
I got a replacement behold 2, 1.6 that I'm not able to get root. Try3 seems to have pushed successfully, I have super user apk, cmd recognizes my phone but can't get remount to work in cmd screen. I think I need#, but get $. I was able to root my 1st behold 2, using windows vista and adb shell to pull twmms and install modified. Would like to do that again, otherwise I'm happy with my behold 2.

Upvote 0
I got a replacement behold 2, 1.6 that I'm not able to get root. Try3 seems to have pushed successfully, I have super user apk, cmd recognizes my phone but can't get remount to work in cmd screen. I think I need#, but get $. I was able to root my 1st behold 2, using windows vista and adb shell to pull twmms and install modified. Would like to do that again, otherwise I'm happy with my behold 2.

flash nu11u5's rooted kernel to get root if you have 1.6. f you have 1.5 then upgrade to 1.6 and flash that kernel

Reactions: shauma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones