• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO][TOOL][ROM] (SGH-T759) Create ODIN/Heimdall backups

I've created a script for this process and attached it to this post. You can use Script Manager from the market to run it or install using option in script. Make sure to run the script with SU privileges when starting with Script Manager. If you plan on installing script to /system/bin/ so it can be run through terminal emulator or adb shell by typing 'backup', please make sure it's ran from the /sdcard/download/ directory or make sure a copy resides there.

My script can be found HERE on GOO.IM

THESE STEPS ARE NO LONGER NECESSARY
Code:
#mount
- just to find mounts for backing up
Code:
#mkdir /sdcard/NAND
Code:
#dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/NAND/factoryfs.rfs bs=4096
Code:
#dd if=/dev/block/stl10 of=/sdcard/NAND/dbdata.rfs bs=4096
Code:
#dd if=/dev/block/stl11 of=/sdcard/NAND/cache.rfs bs=4096
THESE STEPS ARE NO LONGER NECESSARY

Screenshot of NAND backup Tool:

SGH-T759 Nand Backup & Tools v2.5 by Geofferey Eakins, on Flickr

How-to create Heimdall Package(s)

Step 1: Click "Utilities" tab > Under "Download PIT" click "Save As..." > Name your PIT > Click "Download"
Step 2: Click "Flash tab" > Under "PIT" click "Browse" & select the PIT file you saved in Step 1
Step 3: Under "Partitions (Files)" click add & choose partition type from "Partition Name" > Click "Browse" and select corresponding file for partition (ex: for FACTORYFS you would choose factoryfs.rfs) Do this for any partitions you would like to include in Heimdall package.
Step 4: Click "Create Package" tab & fill out all the information, once filled click "Add Device" then "Build"

Afterwards you may restore using "Load Package" tab

HERE is a Custom Stock Rom based on AreaRomX on AndroidArea51. I will post an "OFFICIAL" thread (when I'm not feeling so lazy) detailing the changes and I will be releasing more updates to it in the future. It also includes my Nand Backup Utility & Tools. :)

My ghetto changelog

Hello,

Appreciate your help in creating a script to back up nand. During step 1 you mention to mount, but would it be possible you can provide an example of how to mount one of those points. Since having a hard time to mount and currently have your backup script on phone and it gives error 22 msg when i run. Assuming it's not running since mounts are not there.

Also when i just type mount can i use the specific mounts you have from the huge list that appears? and the way it appears with permission?

Thank you very much for your help.
-Android Tester

Upvote 0
Re-download the script to your phone via this link and try to run it again. Sorry I should have mentioned if you save script in windows with notepad it will mess up.

If you wanted to backup manually for whatever reason remounting isn't necessary, but I'll show you how.

This command puts the /system partition in R/W mode:
Code:
[HIGH]mount -o remount,rw -t auto /dev/block/stl9 /system[/HIGH]

You can backup & restore different partitions with the "dd" command too just replace the highlighted part with your desire partition.

Code:
[HIGH]dd if=[COLOR="Red"]/dev/block/stl9[/COLOR] of=/sdcard/NAND/[COLOR="red"]factoryfs.rfs[/COLOR] bs=4096[/HIGH]

I've posted a custom ROM on goo.im if you want to download that too.

Upvote 0
Hey geofferey,

Thank you providing the backup file and I did get to backup my current configuration before playing around with roms.

First the link to the area51 rom you provided, is not valid and the file is not there. I have been trying to get Jelly Bean based Baked Black Bean 9 unoffical rom for galaxy exhibit 4g t759.

Few issues i'm running in to:
initially i lost my root after having to wipe data/system restore from recovery in order to install the rom and get signature error while it's extracting.

In order to get my root back had to follow nut's remountrebootfix-windows fix (to remove bootloader write or so, called rootfix) and use Zerg rush root to root again.

This method worked once and than used you backup to back up everything expect ODIN method, since it requires i have the SGH-T759-ODIN.tar in /sdcard/nand.

Once again I tried to install blackbean and still get signature error is it beacuse i'm doing the wipe data/facory reset and lose my root access?

Now I can't seems to root again, so any ideas on how to root to install custom rom.

when i run zerg rush after it reboots, it can't push ./su /system/bin and vies permission denied and prior to restart it gives log:write failed (errno=14) few times is that ok? But in between the line it does show Rush did it! It's a GG, man!, killing ads and restarting as root.

while running the rootfix/remountrebootfix, i get error with "unable to chmod /sbin/ric: no such file or directory" and same for /system/bin/ric" Prior to this comd it's trying to mount and says pkill was not found.

I know it's a lot to ask, but let me know what you can do. As i'm so excited about rom, any issues you are having with current rom you have from area51 and any ideas of black bean 9 unoffical rom issues with this sgh t759 phone?
-Android Tester.

Upvote 0
Your first problem is that you have no custom recovery (this phone doesn't have one) so you can't really flash anything except for through ODIN/Heimdall. Besides that the ROM you are trying to install is meant for the Samsung Exhibit 4G II. Other places have failed to differentiate between the two phones. That's why I use they exact model # of the phone for everything I post. As for your issue with rooting the device I don't really know what to tell you about it. You can try to restore your backup & see if that helps. I also fixed the links to my ROM. Expect an update to it later on, it fixes issues with terminal emulator crashing on the phone and adds a few things. Let me know what you think of it. It's pretty much the only ROM in existence for the phone besides the AreaRomX.

EDIT:
Uploaded DeWizd 1.4 today ;-)

Adds "native" sshd support (default password=dewizd) enabled by default
to disable/enable auto start & manual start/kill:
Code:
[B]$su[/B]
#[B]disable_sshd[/B]
#[B]enable_sshd[/B]
#[B]dropbear[/B]
#[B]killall dropbear[/B]

Added nano (best if used through putty/ssh client, you should edit the default password and port )
Code:
[B]$su[/B]
[B]#backup[/B]
[B]mount[/B]
[B]q[/B]
[B]#nano[/B]
[B]CTRL+r[/B]
File to insert [from ./] [B]/system/bin/dropbear[/B]

#!/system/bin/sh

cd /system/exbin

./dropbear -A -N root -U 0 -G 0 -C [COLOR="Red"][B]dewizd[/B][/COLOR] -p [COLOR="Red"][B]22[/B][/COLOR]

[B]CTRIL+o[/B]

File Name to Write: [B]/system/bin/dropbear[/B]

Upvote 0
Hello Geofferey,

I was able to root and follow heimdall method to install your DewizVer1.4.gz. The problems I am facing is since after i install certain number of applications, my phone seems to get stuck at the lock screen. Also I noticed that time to time this happens also when the network signal bar shows circle mark, indicating no gsm (tmobile) signal found.

One of my another option missing is wificalling feature, which you have removed from you custom rom. I depend on it and would like to have it back.

You have made some nice improvements and taken away memory improvements. In terms of stability, it's hard to tell, unless I am doing something wrong.

Was also trying find how to get Devanagari language font support since it has to be supported by device. Primarily it's for viewing characters out of ASCII.

Thanks,
-Android Tester

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones