• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to use Adfree?

a5pe4

Android Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011
I just downloaded Adfree because I want to eliminate annoying ads (hopefully those in Words With Friends) and I'm not sure if I want to 'check server for updates daily' or 'use /data/data/ hosts symlink' or 'Run TCPdump'. Anyone with any experience with this know what to do?

I set mine up like this (someone else may have better settings);

screenshot-1327289495490.png

I never really mess with it as it seems to be a set-it-and-forget-it thing.

If you have a PC, you may want to check this out, too (I've been using it on mine for years). The guy who made the app gets the host file from here:

Blocking unwanted parasites with a host file.

Upvote 0

If you have a PC, you may want to check this out, too (I've been using it on mine for years). The guy who made the app gets the host file from here:

You were exactly who I was hoping would respond since I remember you talking about AdFree before! I almost put your name in the title ;) Thanks!

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0

36? burr! not to derail thread but what weather app you using?

Upvote 0
36? burr! not to derail thread but what weather app you using?

36 is mild for here. It was -1 the other day.

Beautiful Widgets. I find that the more crap I have on my phones desktop, the more my battery gets used. So I don't have the widget itself there. What I did was add the widget to my desktop and go into the settings to make the temp appear on the status bar. Then I remove the widget from the desktop. The temp also shows on the status bars pull-down thingy, so it can be tapped to open the current weather. ;)

Upvote 0
I just installed Adfree and I am curious about possible configurations using the settings? I've had trouble finding anything...

Geez, i almost forgot that i even had this app, as someone said "set it and forget it ".
I've had this app for well over a year, and have no ads anywhere.

I have it set check for updates daily, and below that automatically apply updates.
Set it and forget it!
After that press where it says download and install hosts. Then you should get a popup saying your ok and up to date, then reboot for the DNC cache, that's it.

NOTE : Found an old thread on this ...http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/667200-ad-blocking-issues.html

Upvote 0
Geez, i almost forgot that i even had this app, as someone said "set it and forget it ".
I've had this app for well over a year, and have no ads anywhere.

I have it set check for updates daily, and below that automatically apply updates.
Set it and forget it!
After that press where it says download and install hosts. Then you should get a popup saying your ok and up to date, then reboot for the DNC cache, that's it.

NOTE : Found an old thread on this ...http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/667200-ad-blocking-issues.html

I took a look at thread in the link U posted. Apart from "asadullah"'s post, it seems like it is pretty much hands off. I had 2 other questions:
1. Is it still in development?
2. And, if so, are they updating the hosts file and whatever else the app needs to do it's job?

Upvote 0
I took a look at thread in the link U posted. Apart from "asadullah"'s post, it seems like it is pretty much hands off. I had 2 other questions:
1. Is it still in development?
2. And, if so, are they updating the hosts file and whatever else the app needs to do it's job?

I don't know if it's still in development, but i noticed i didn't have it set to update automatically, so when i opened the app, i pressed boot normally and it said i had to update my hosts. Then i pressed download and install new hosts, which it did and said my phone was now up to date, please reboot phone to clear dnc cache.

I just checked it again and it said host files are up to date.

I hope this answers your questions.

Upvote 0
Cool!

Do U have an opinion on whether one is better than another? I just started using Adfree. It's to soon to tell.

I have been using adfree for well over a year, never had a problem until this Christmas, when they updated, but thanks to assadullah, it was resolved in no time.

As for adaway, same thing, they both do what their supposed to do. ;-)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I just realized that I'm not sure if these apps block ads in your browser. I use Google Chrome for example. And, I was browsing the mobile version of Billboard.com and had an ad appear after I clicked a number of times.

[Just to throw something else into the mix... Lucky Patcher has an Ad Blocker. Can you/Does it make sense use more than one Ad Blocker?]

Upvote 0
I just realized that I'm not sure if these apps block ads in your browser. I use Google Chrome for example. And, I was browsing the mobile version of Billboard.com and had an ad appear after I clicked a number of times.

[Just to throw something else into the mix... Lucky Patcher has an Ad Blocker. Can you/Does it make sense use more than one Ad Blocker?]

I've never had an ad popup in my browsers, but i only use stock browser and Opera mini, never had a problem.

I can see no use in more than one ad blocker.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones