• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use my phone hands-free?

RhinoCan

Jul 5, 2015
I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) and am very happy. Yesterday, as I was driving along, I realized it would be very convenient to send a text to a friend to tell them I was on the way and would be arriving in 20 minutes. It's strictly illegal to use a phone will driving where I live and I wouldn't do it anyway since it's too dangerous. I didn't want to pull over to the side of the road because that would be too time-consuming. I started wondering about hands-free operation, which I've heard of but never used.

Now that I am back home, I started researching this and came across a TechRepublic article that tells you how to enable and use touchless operations (which I assume is the same as hands-free). You start by enabling touchless operations in Android settings and apparently don't need to install any third party app. So I looked for that setting so that I could experiment with hands-free/touchless operations. Unfortunately, I can't find any option that looks like "touchless" or "hands-free"; the closest I came was "one handed operation" which looked like it was for gaming.

I'm running Oreo 8.0 so why don't I see the option in the TechRepublic article? The article *did* say that some phones had much more in the way of touchless operations than others. Did I just happen to get a phone with NO touchless capabilities? I have the full manual for the phone (in PDF) and I searched it for "touchless" and "hands-free" but came up empty so I'm guessing I can't go hands-free on this phone at all. I can live with that but I want to be sure I'm not missing some other way to use my phone in the car (assuming I get a mounting bracket for it but that's easy: I've seen them in several stores).

Thanks for the suggestion! I bought a cell phone holder yesterday to hold the phone to the dash or windshield. I'll try Google first and see how that works in a moving vehicle but Bluetooth may be the ticket if it isn't. I already have a BlueTooth headset I could use with the phone, although I'd likely get something different for use in the car; the headset is meant for other things.

Reactions: Davdi and Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones