• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Howdy. This is my first postZTE Unico Navigation Never Works

Howdy. This is my first post, here.

I have had owned tow previous Android smartphones, LG Optimus V and LG Optimus Elite, boith on Virgin Mobile. These were Android 2.x phones and had a dedicated Navigation app, not just maps. I wanted to get away from Sprint service, which VM used and had pathetic signals, at work. So, I looked at Straight Talk and the salesperson showed the wife and I some phones but he was really pushing two ZTE's, the Unico and the Majesty. He noted that the Unico would probably be using AT&T 4G LTE and that was cool as my workplace had AT&T and Verizon repetaers. We bought one each.

I like my phone but I do not see a Navigation app, so I'm assuming that Google for 4 and up has merged Navigation with Maps. However, everytime I try to use Maps to Navigate, it rarely starts as it always says "Searching for GPS." If Navigation ever starts, it never gets me there. I never hear turn by turn and if I pull down the little blue Navigation icon in the notification bar, it always says "waiting for GPS." I never had this issue with eother LG or my standalone Tomtom GPS.

Why? When using many location based apps, the flashing compass "Searching for GPS" always shows - see #1 below.

1. Am I missing a setting (I have everything checked: Google Location Services, GPS Satelites, Use assisted GPS and Location and Google Search)
2. Is it because this phone has a poor GPS receiver?
3. is there a software issue?
4. Are there other apps that may work better?

Looking forward to the responses as GPS and Nav, I would think, are an important feature for a smartphone. Thanks!

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones