• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HSPA+ and 3g switching issue.

I have the Straight Talk AT&T plan and my phone almost never switches to 3G. No wonder my battery life sucks.

Well, like I mentioned, my phone never shows "3G" except for an instant. I have no issues with my phone going 2-3 days since the 4.2 update. Though obviously I'm not using the screen a lot during that time, but it is always connected to the cell network (never use wifi).

I don't think showing 3g vs H is an indicator of wasting battery or anything.

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that say I'm in a bad h+ area and icons are blue but I have no bars, then it will switch to edge and be completely full bars. Does the service indicator work in conjunction with the network that's present? If so and I'm showing no bars and h+ blue, how do I actually have service to make calls? If that makes sense. Like with lte on older phones the data and service (cdma) indicator is separate. I'm relatively new to gsm do I apologize if this seems "obvious" per say.

Yup, they are different connections. I believe you'll see that on a CDMA phone that is on the edge of Evdo and 1x/RTT. The signal strength may go up when it drops back to 1x.

The same happens with Edge/HSPA. If you are on the edge of a decent HSPA signal, the meter will show no or one bars. When it falls off and switches down to Edge, it may be able to get an excellent signal for that. They aren't necessarily on the same frequency, so Edge will often be stronger. I think both ATT and TMo have Edge in the 850-900MHz ballpark? So it will have better in-building strength and whatnot.

Upvote 0
Yup, they are different connections. I believe you'll see that on a CDMA phone that is on the edge of Evdo and 1x/RTT. The signal strength may go up when it drops back to 1x.

The same happens with Edge/HSPA. If you are on the edge of a decent HSPA signal, the meter will show no or one bars. When it falls off and switches down to Edge, it may be able to get an excellent signal for that. They aren't necessarily on the same frequency, so Edge will often be stronger. I think both ATT and TMo have Edge in the 850-900MHz ballpark? So it will have better in-building strength and whatnot.

Thats what I was thinking. Glad to see its confirmed. Thanks ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones