• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire 816 memory issue

Since the update form Kitkat to lolipop , I am having memory issues with my internal storage. The alret message foe low device memory is kept coming and I have already moved many apps to SD card, still running out of space, due to this I am nither download the new apps nor update the existing apps.

Total apps storage sometimes it will show around 1.5 GB and sometimes it is around 4 GB. Though there is nothing else in phone memory apart from my apps , it does show rest of the memory is being used by music, Photos etc.. which is really annoying me :(
here are the details ..

Total Phone memory is 8 GB and the split is shown as below
Apps - 3.65 GB
Music - 0.98 MB
Photos and Vedios - 13.87 MB
Other - 3.80 GB
Available - 545 MB

actually apart from apps I cant see any otehr data is stored in phone memory but according to the above stats I am facing the memory issue,,, I dont know what the 3.80 GB is shown as Others :(

PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP ME!!!!!!!
Many Thanks in Advance.

"Other" means "anything that doesn't fit into the few narrow categories above". It's likely to be largely system software, app data and caches, but really anything whose file extension doesn't identify it as music, picture or video will be called "other".

On an unrooted device you can only look at the /sdcard view of your storage. Apps and their internal data are stored in a directory tree called /data, which you cannot access without root. That's probably why you can't see what's there. This is for security, both making app piracy a little harder and preventing one app from interfering with another. Also the system software (pre-installed apps and other, lower-level software) lives in another area which you don't have access to. If you want to get a better overview of your storage, look at the sticky post in this forum about storage questions and try downloading and running the "storage truth" app.

The problem here is, you ask for help but I don't know what help you expect. According to what you've written it's showing a total of 14.85 MB used by music, photos and videos, which is utterly negligible. You appear to have 3.65 GB of apps, 3.8 GB of system software, caches, app data etc, and 545 MB free, which adds up to 8 GB. So it's all consistent. With 500 MB free I expect you can still install stuff, provided it's not too large. The phone will keep a certain amount of space free as working space, so if you try to install an app which would take you below that then it will refuse. And if you have more stuff cached at a given moment, and so less space free, then it will be harder to install apps.

So you can temporarily free space by clearing app caches (social apps can be real space hogs, for example, and browsers can cache a lot of stuff). Go to Settings > Apps > All, select an app and then hit the "clear cache" button - not the same as the clear data button! There are apps that can clear all app caches in one go if you really need. Note though that cache clearing is only a temporary measure, as caches will fill again. The only long-term options are to move apps to SD as far as you can (but this only moves part of the app, and doesn't move app data, so is a limited measure), uninstall large apps that you don't use, or root (which doesn't change anything itself, but gives you the option of using other tricks to move more stuff to SD). If there are system apps (i.e. pre-installed) which you don't use you can clear data, uninstall updates and disable them (system apps live in a different area, but updates live in your /data space, so uninstalling updates frees space, whereas uninstalling the app itself, even if you could do it, would not). But that's about it.

The reason this has been more of an issue since Lollipop is probably that the runtime environment Android uses changed with 5.0, and apps installed with the new environment take up a bit more storage (the plus side being faster app loading that uses less power). But you'd probably have faced this sooner or later under KitKat as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones