• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Camera not working

The camera was fine when i rooted and flashed CM7 on my htc desire in October, 2012. Later when I flashed Runnymede with sense, the camera stopped working. After that I tried several ROMS including the earlier CM7 but the camera failed to start. I even tried by installing other camera apps from the market but in vain. PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance.

To make it further clear- I have formatted the total sd card and done factory reset before every rom installation.

You shouldn't need to format sd between flashes - a factory reset from recovery is fine.

Is very odd though, as wipe + rom flash should completely replace the previous software.

What radio (aka baseband) are you using? You can find out from the About Phone menu, or from the hboot screen. The reason I ask is that while any Froyo radio should be fine, the camera won't work with an Eclair radio, so if you have run a really old RUU at some point that could do this. Otherwise don't mess with radios unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

Reactions: prabs4sure
Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to format sd between flashes - a factory reset from recovery is fine.

Is very odd though, as wipe + rom flash should completely replace the previous software.

What radio (aka baseband) are you using? You can find out from the About Phone menu, or from the hboot screen. The reason I ask is that while any Froyo radio should be fine, the camera won't work with an Eclair radio, so if you have run a really old RUU at some point that could do this. Otherwise don't mess with radios unless you are sure you know what you are doing.
Thanks for your reply Hadron. The Baseband version that I found in the about phone is 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23

Can you do something to help me further. Is there anything wrong with the baseband?

Upvote 0
No, that baseband should be fine - it's the same I have (most recent for the Desire).

Hmm, have to think...
In some other thread I found that it may be a hardware problem caused by some "rigid flex" being disturbed or loosened. If that is the case then can I fix it myself by opening the phone or I will have to see the service center? Or how can I be sure that the problem is of the rigid flex or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
EUREKA......

I just solved the camera problem for my htc desire. Anybody having the same problem can try this. I just copied it from some other forum.

Take the battery cover off and have a look at the camera lense, you will see that there is a small , square piece of glass sitting on a slightly larger metal square frame. You need to GENTLY ease that metal frame away from the phone. On my handset the frame is joined at the top right corner, I used this join to hook the corner of my thumb nail under and lift it up by a FRACTION OF A MILIMETER MAX!
A good way to see if this is working is to start by pressing the camera icon untill it blacks out the screen, if you get somebody to watch the screen, or use a mirror, you will see the screen come back to life showing you all the on screen camera options and the image of what ever the camera is looking at as you GENTLY and ONLY SLIGHTLY pry the frame away from the phone.

CHEERS......

My htc desire is full functional again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones