• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD Battery Life??

i'm sure this has been posted before but i followed the instructions on this link exactly and it works (doubles your battery life, i swear.) Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers

before i did this, i was getting maybe only half a day until i got to 30% power and the batter power saver thing kicked it but now i can go to nearly a day and half without charging.

i also do what i can to conserve battery (ie. screen is at about 15% brightness, i dont have that live wallpaper app running, i turn screen off after 1 minute etc). i don't watch videos on this but i do play music. even still, i get pretty good battery life because of this trick. good luck

Upvote 0
Both HTC HD 1800mh batteries arrived, had them for a week. They arrived from Singapore, well wrapped, and badged for the HTC ACE which I believe from El presidente was the original name for the Desire HD ?

Fitted fine to the desire HD, not sticky, actually a better fit than the OEM one supplied with the phone.

Battery life now 2.5 days, with an awake time of 30 hrs per cycle.

Well worth the investment - didn't do the reconditioning cycle previously described on the first cycle, just thought I'd see what it actually did been plugged straight in.

really recommend buying a couple - think total price was $18 ish for two?

Upvote 0
Both HTC HD 1800mh batteries arrived, had them for a week. They arrived from Singapore, well wrapped, and badged for the HTC ACE which I believe from El presidente was the original name for the Desire HD ?

I think it's HTC's internal name for the handset, it's also called that in the states too (There's a 4G variant called the Inspire 4G).

Fitted fine to the desire HD, not sticky, actually a better fit than the OEM one supplied with the phone.

Battery life now 2.5 days, with an awake time of 30 hrs per cycle.

Well worth the investment - didn't do the reconditioning cycle previously described on the first cycle, just thought I'd see what it actually did been plugged straight in.

really recommend buying a couple - think total price was $18 ish for two?

Keep us posted. I've been happy with extended batteries before, only to be disappointed again after a few charge cycles. Hopefully your experience will differ :).

Upvote 0
i'm sure this has been posted before but i followed the instructions on this link exactly and it works (doubles your battery life, i swear.) Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers

In the nicest best possible way can I state as a hardware engineer myself that this is rubbish. :)

Are people trying to tell us that over two different chip manufacturers and two different software companies got it all wrong?

Lithium ion batteries are not just a stupid mixture of chemicals. The battery has a microchip in it which is used to prevent it overcharging and it knows when it is fully charged or not.

The charger section on the phone also has a chip which was made to monitor the amount of current given to the battery and is used to communicate with the battery and the rest of the phone. That is how the phone knows what temperature the battery is, its charge and condition it is in.

Also HTC have tested this combination with phD qualified engineers. Also Google has written software to make use of all these sophisticated bits of engineering.

And you're telling me all this technology can be fooled by simply removing the DC plug and reinserting it?

It would take a phenomenal amount of bad luck and very bad engineers for 4 major manufacturers to cock all this up.

Let's put these old wives tales (made by people who don't know one end of a diode from another) to bed and smother them eh? :D

Upvote 0
Pretty much at the end of my tether now with this phone and HTC customer service.
The battery life is sh!te.
HTC are telling me to prolong the life of the phone by turning off gps, wi-fi, bluetooth (OK, will do), et cetera. But I bought the phone with those specifications so I expect to be able to use them.
The specification doesn't say - "Use of any of the phone functions may seriously deplete the life of the phone in normal usage down to 4 hours"
HTC: Get your act together!
The gall of HTC knows no bounds as they said I can return the phone for checking/repair which would of course mean i am without phone for any number of days. "Not our problem" appears to be HTC's attitude - the fricking phone is less than 3 weeks old! Aaarrgghhhh!
think I need some primal scream therapy.

I started using the Power Tutor app to see what was really using the battery. This was quite an education and after seeing a couple of apps show up that I never use and uninstalling them I saw that the background process for the auto-rotate was using a significant amount of power. So I turned it off and installed Auto-rotate switch so that I could enable it quickly when I need to. Now my standby time is massively improved. 10 hours on standby and the battery is still over 90% (note also using Juice Defender which is pretty much mandatory on any Android phone). I also found a battery from Obostore (Andida brand) at 1800mAh that actually lives up to its spec. It was only

Upvote 0
Basically if the phone has to do something the CPU ramps up from 250MHz to 1GHz (full speed) and this uses serious battery power.

I find keeping it in Airport mode or turning off Auto-Sync increases battery life dramatically.

I've installed an app that monitors when it is plugged in and charging and then it does a sync.

HTC phones by default are set to sync every few hours. Not good for the battery sadly.

It's a problem all phone manufacturers have. Not just HTC.

I've recently made myself a 1.2V C cell @ 4500mAH phone charger.
I stuck the end of a AA cell Emergency phone charger onto my C cell battery holder and it works a treat. Far smaller than using 4 x 1.2V C cell battery pack.

It keeps my HTC powered for an extra 3-6 hours.

Upvote 0
just thought I'd come back to you all after having the battery for about 3 months, still really good coverage, I charge every 2nd day, but rarely hit the 10% warning - use the widgets to keep 3g / screen brightness / wifi off when not needed. Really impressed by the batteries - touch wood, rotate them every couple of weeks after letting the one being used drain completely.

Upvote 0
just thought I'd come back to you all after having the battery for about 3 months, still really good coverage, I charge every 2nd day, but rarely hit the 10% warning - use the widgets to keep 3g / screen brightness / wifi off when not needed. Really impressed by the batteries - touch wood, rotate them every couple of weeks after letting the one being used drain completely.

Thanks for the info and following up. I am going to try my hand at this. Now the only things missing would be either Sense 3.0 or ICS :D

P.S: What online store did you order from? I found this link on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1800mAh-HTC...721501?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2eb8311add

Same?

Upvote 0
I find the best way to save the battery life is to turn the phone off....... ;) but it does get to the point that the phones functionality is being compromised with all these battery saving features.

I have been using the 1800mah andida battery initially as a backup for the original but soon kept forgetting to change it back and now just use it constantly and battery life does seem to of increased slightly. I must of had it for about 8 months now with hundreds of charges and its still going strong.

Upvote 0
OK, I've had the phone for a few days now and had a chance to test the battery a little... so I'd like to get some opinions on the current useage.

Battery is now down to 12% after the following.

15h 50m

display 39% (on 1h 23m at approx 30% brightness auto off, animation off, screen off 30s)

Dialer 19%

wifi 9% (time running 11h 23m)

cell standby 9% (time on 15h 18m - not sure what this is)

sense 7% (cpu total 35m keep awake 8h 31m)

phone idle 7% (13h 55m)

akmd 7% (cpu total 33m)

maps 3% (keep awake 1h 24m, GPS 2m 25s (never went out today)

OS 2% (7m 30s)

mediaserver 2% (4m 44s)

I never actually made any calls today as I was home and get free calls on my landline... so I use that. Received a few emails and txts, did a little bit of surfing, downloaded a couple of apps, read a little bit of news (bbc app), played some table hockey for about 15 mins and listened to music for about 90 mins.

So I probably used the phone for around 2hrs judging from the idle time, but not sure if the phone thinks it's idle whilst playing music, so that could be as much as 3.5hrs.

Friday I tested it from fully charged and played a drag racing game for just over an hour (music off after about 10 mins) before the battery warning came on (power save kicks in at 25% at the moment)

Upvote 0
Battery life doesn't sound like anything to write home about, but it doesn't sound too bad... I think that music can rinse the battery and games can be a bit hard on it too.

I did a battery calibration run on a coach down to London and played games and listened to music (with a bit of browsing on mobile network) and killed it pretty quick. Might be worth giving it a couple of days on normal usage to see how it really performs!

Upvote 0
I installed the battery monitor widget and another widget to allow me to swiftly switch the wifi/gps/bt/3g on off as I need.

I've gone through and disabled auto syncing for a load of things I rarely use or don't use at all, and set others to only sync when used.

I'm now conducting a discharge test, I'm gonna be at home the next few days with no real plans for going anywhere... So I'll be letting the phone idle as much as possible and only using it when I have too.

When it's on idle with everything switch off, it's only drawing -5mA and giving me an estimate of 52hrs.

After that I'll increase my use of it and see what I can average.

I was going to get a dock and spare battery... but I think i'll go for one of these instead. Will come in far more handy when I'm camping and would mean I can give the device heavy use for a few days without worry.

Upvote 0
Ok... just for your info, I was decorating yesterday and have been in training at work today, so had minimal use on my phone... here are the stats:

1D 23h 13m 44s on battery - now @ 1%
Mobile Standby 40% (13% time without signal)
Wifi 22% (wifi on all the time)
Phone Idle 22%
Android System 15%
Voice calls 3% (time on 29m 38s)

I did play a game for about 5 mins too this afternoon (just after training).

EDIT - it was showing @ 70 something % this morning (after 1 day) I think that, by messing a bit this afternoon and playing the game for a bit, it zapped what was left (about 16-17% before I started playing the game), but I thought that wasn't so bad!!

Upvote 0
I had some heavier use of the phone from around 4pm onwards, lots of texting, checking a few websites, emails and google+.

Finally put it on charge with 12% left after 25hrs, I only use a trickle charge from the PC via USB with net pass through enabled and didn't want the phone running flat overnight. It takes between 3-4hrs to charge fully that way.

Upvote 0
I find keeping screen timeout short is a good way to save battery as i would often check the time on it and forget to turn the screen off. By reducing the timeout from two minutes to 30 seconds my screen battery usage percent went from 70% to 50% and the battery lasted longer.
If anyone is still interested the link for the 1800mah andida battery has expired. But have found this one instead (I needed another for a long trip) which is cheaper;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desire-HD...133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b82f9a55

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones