• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire HD - Needs to be brought back to life!!!

An RUU is an exe file that you run from your computer, with your phone plugged in - you wouldn't need to get in to recovery mode :)

Thanks. I can't seem to load an RUU... When it gets to the stage where it reboots bootloader the phone just sticks at the HTC logo screen and then the RUU program says "USB Error".

If the .exe is stubborn,rom.zip can be extracted,renamed PD98IMG and flashed via hboot using a FAT32 sd card :)

Thank you. I've also tried downloading the Vodafone stock ruu.zip file. What did you mean by 'extract it' and then rename it? Isn't that the same as just renaming it? I just renamed it PD98IMG.zip and HBOOT seems to load it and then just goes back to the HBOOT menu. Am I missing something?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks. I can't seem to load an RUU... When it gets to the stage where it reboots bootloader the phone just sticks at the HTC logo screen and then the RUU program says "USB Error".

Thank you. I've also tried downloading the Vodafone stock ruu.zip file. What did you mean by 'extract it' and then rename it? Isn't that the same as just renaming it? I just renamed it PD98IMG.zip and HBOOT seems to load it and then just goes back to the HBOOT menu. Am I missing something?

Thanks again

If you're using windows,you may need to leave off the ".zip". Due to the way windows adds and hides extensions,typing in the ".zip" results in the file being named "PD98IMG.zip.zip" :eek:

The other thing you need to check is that your sd card format is FAT32 and not plain FAT or something else.

Upvote 0
Wow - thank you very much for your quick offers to help me!

I can confirm that I have 'show file extensions' enabled in windows exploorer, have a fat32 formatted sd card and have been trying to run RUUs from fastboot mode :(

The RUUs keep failing after the 'restarting bootloader' process. Phone sticks at HTC logo and bootloader doesn't restart unless I restart it manually.

The PD98IMG method keeps failing after HBOOT goes through the complete install process and says 'finished - press power to reboot' (or something like that). Then, just HTC logo and nothing else loads.

No matter which PD98img or RUU process I go through, even when HBOOT reports that the install process is complete, I can't seem to get the phone to go past the HTC logo screen.

I've soft bricked a few phones before, but this takes the cake. I think that the fact I can get to HBOOT still gives hope, but I might have to take it in for 'repair' by a professional?

Upvote 0
No matter which PD98img or RUU process I go through, even when HBOOT reports that the install process is complete, I can't seem to get the phone to go past the HTC logo screen.

I've soft bricked a few phones before, but this takes the cake. I think that the fact I can get to HBOOT still gives hope, but I might have to take it in for 'repair' by a professional?

unfortunately,if the phone has updated all partitions with the PD98IMG without any errors,and still wont boot,you prolly have some sort of hardware failure. :(

might have to take it to someone who can diagnose and repair componet failure :(

Upvote 0
unfortunately,if the phone has updated all partitions with the PD98IMG without any errors,and still wont boot,you prolly have some sort of hardware failure. :(

might have to take it to someone who can diagnose and repair componet failure :(

Thanks. I'm going to keep on trying for a while before taking it in for repair. Its such an old phone I can't really justify paying top $ for professional repair.

It sounds strange but on my dual-boot windows/Linux computer I have a piece of software installed called 'grub' and when the machine first boots up grub lets me choose an os. After hours and days of trying to get this phone to work I really think its the phone's equivalent of grub (during the HTC logo splash) or the 'primary partition' part of a window's HD that's not finding the rom or recovery when the phone boots. My reason for thinking this is because; even when in HBOOT menu if I choose 'reboot bootloader' it doesn't reboot HBOOT but goes to the HTC logo and freezes. Only if I hold volume down + power to turn it on can I get to HBOOT.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm going to keep on trying for a while before taking it in for repair. Its such an old phone I can't really justify paying top $ for professional repair.

It sounds strange but on my dual-boot windows/Linux computer I have a piece of software installed called 'grub' and when the machine first boots up grub lets me choose an os. After hours and days of trying to get this phone to work I really think its the phone's equivalent of grub (during the HTC logo splash) or the 'primary partition' part of a window's HD that's not finding the rom or recovery when the phone boots. My reason for thinking this is because; even when in HBOOT menu if I choose 'reboot bootloader' it doesn't reboot HBOOT but goes to the HTC logo and freezes. Only if I hold volume down + power to turn it on can I get to HBOOT.

htc phones never came with anything like that,and if someone was clever enuff to install some sort of similar software,ive not heard of it. when the device installs all partitions from the PD98IMG without error,its usually the fault of hardware if it still wont boot.

the only thing you can do(that i can think of) is to continue trying different ruus,or possibly add a recovery and try and flash a very small footprint rom(like cm7- 70ish mb or less) and see if it will boot that way.

you can also try installing PD98IMG in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

you might possibly get a clue what installs are not working by watching the output on the screens window.

you could also download and install one of hyuh's patched hboots,wich would give you some eng commands. you could then try and fastboot erase boot,system,data,etc. and then run the ruu again. more info on that later,im late for work atm! :eek:

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
htc phones never came with anything like that,and if someone was clever enuff to install some sort of similar software,ive not heard of it. when the device installs all partitions from the PD98IMG without error,its usually the fault of hardware if it still wont boot.

the only thing you can do(that i can think of) is to continue trying different ruus,or possibly add a recovery and try and flash a very small footprint rom(like cm7- 70ish mb or less) and see if it will boot that way.

you can also try installing PD98IMG in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

you might possibly get a clue what installs are not working by watching the output on the screens window.

you could also download and install one of hyuh's patched hboots,wich would give you some eng commands. you could then try and fastboot erase boot,system,data,etc. and then run the ruu again. more info on that later,im late for work atm! :eek:

Thanks very much again!

I've tried the instructions above (from fastboot), but no luck. Your instructions start with "if youre working with a booted, operational phone", so maybe this method isn't for me...

I've never heard of hyuh's patched hboots, but am very interested in hearing about it when ever you have time... I'm not in the greatest rush to get this phone going - but I do enjoy tinkering with it every now and again when its working :) Hope work wasn't too painful and that I didn't make you late!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
I got a similar problem with my HTC 802t after an android lollipop 5.0 update.
According to #2 i have locked my phone and the following showed up when i typed the command "fastboot getvar all"
where do i go from here ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones