• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Htc desire hd - stuck on boot screen

Hello all. I'm having the same problem as OP, stuck on HTC screen, happened after app update which froze and I took battery off. HBOOT works fine, but if I try recovery phone freezes and makes 7 vibrations. What could this mean? Anyway, I'm trying to install new RUU, so what version would be good for me? Any help would be great! :)

INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.00
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.04.
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 3.12.405.1
INFOserialno: SH137RX02140
INFOimei: xxxxxxxxx
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: HTC__Y13
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4174mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca9
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.008s

edit: and because this is my first time doing anything like this, I'd like to have step by step instructions. Furthest I've gotten is here, having those numbers out so I'm really in need of help. :)

Upvote 0
HTC Desire HD success from Brick to Smartphone again!

Hi Guys,
After bricking my HTC Desire HD phone for three days :mad:, I did lots of research and got it recovered :smokingsomb:. Thought I should share my some research with you.

1) If your phone is boot loader unlocked and you have S-off, then you can simply flash off any new version of OS on your mobile. By simply copying it an SD card and installing it in recovery mode. Make sure you get it from right place

2) If your phone is boot loader unlocked and you have S-on, then you need to push boot.img to your phone via command prompt using PC and you can still install the full system via SD card same as (1)

3) If your phone is boot loader locked, then you need to unlock your boot loader via HTCdev or command prompt.

I am now running Android Jelly Beans 4.2.2 on my HTC Desire HD, it really cool :thumb:

Let me know your mobile condition, I might be able to help.

Upvote 0
Looks like I'm missing the point. I have same issue as couple of other members mentioned before. I tried installing update and could never recovered. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I have UNLOCKED bootloader and updated ROM using htcdev. Giiven below is updated info.

fastboot getvar all
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.85.0024
INFOversion-baseband: 26.09.04.11_M2
INFOversion-main: 2.52.0.0
INFOcidnum: ORANG001
INFObattery-voltage: 4130mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: dirty-ae32a7eb

Upvote 0
my dhd is not booting up.. it goes to a black screen after the htc logo even it happens while trying to enter into the recovery mode...Btw i m having eng s-off with supercid and moreover i've tried flashing the stock ruu, but still no sucess...And yes i forgot to mention that i'm experiencing 7 vibration while turning on the device...plz help me out... thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
my dhd is not booting up.. it goes to a black screen after the htc logo even it happens while trying to enter into the recovery mode...Btw i m having eng s-off with supercid and moreover i've tried flashing the stock ruu, but still no sucess...And yes i forgot to mention that i'm experiencing 7 vibration while turning on the device...plz help me out... thanks in advance :)

I'm sorry to say that, as your phone is doing 7 vibes, that means that it is pretty much toast.

It would require a repair - flashing RUU's/ROM's will not work. You may be able to get it repaired by a high street phone repair shop... wouldn't like to say for sure though. You would definitely need to tell them about 7 vibes being the problem... they should be able to tell you there and then if they can repair it.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to say that, as your phone is doing 7 vibes, that means that it is pretty much toast.

It would require a repair - flashing RUU's/ROM's will not work. You may be able to get it repaired by a high street phone repair shop... wouldn't like to say for sure though. You would definitely need to tell them about 7 vibes being the problem... they should be able to tell you there and then if they can repair it.

Hmm ok btw thank u for ur quick repl btw can u help me out with my htc lexicon?? its an s-off'd device and is also having super cid though i m not able to flash custom recovery to it...

Upvote 0
I wouldn't just try different recoveries... using the wrong one for your device could end up bricking it.

A quick look revealed that the Lexicon is another name for the Merge.

Your best bet would be to head to http://androidforums.com/merge-all-things-root/446697-merge-all-things-root-guide.html

Finally flashed recovery... Thanks to scotty for his thread it helped me a lot to get it installed :) Link to thread:http://androidforums.com/merge-all-things-root/434029-root-s-off-simunlock-supercid-htc-merge.html

Upvote 0
hey guys
Im having a similar problem. Only difference is i was trying to root htc desire hd and install a custom rom kitkat 4.4 to be specific. i unlocked bootloader installed cwm and flashed 4.4. but never got ahed of the boot logo. ive tried everything but of no use pls help
one more thing i read somewhere to install ruu stock you need ro relock bootloader so i did it through easy ace tool just as i unlock it through that but none of the ruu so far have worked.
details are here

HT0CCTH00959 fastboot
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0030
INFOversion-baseband: 26.16.04.09_M
INFOversion-main: 3.17.1010.1
INFOserialno: HT0CCTH00959
INFOimei: Removed by Mod
INFOmodelid: PD9815000
INFOcidnum: KT___901
INFObattery-voltage: 4204mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 62d2f26e
finished. total time: 0.012s
all help greatly appreciated

Upvote 0
Welcome to our AndroidForums, Daniel.

Just so folks know, it looks like you're booting into (ClockworkMod) custom recovery and re-flashing the stock recovery for your device (not 100% that it's an HTC Desire HD?--is this your video?).

Anyway, your post made me realize that this thread should probably be in our all-things-root area, so I've moved this thread there.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
hey guys
Im having a similar problem. Only difference is i was trying to root htc desire hd and install a custom rom kitkat 4.4 to be specific. i unlocked bootloader installed cwm and flashed 4.4. but never got ahed of the boot logo. ive tried everything but of no use pls help
one more thing i read somewhere to install ruu stock you need ro relock bootloader so i did it through easy ace tool just as i unlock it through that but none of the ruu so far have worked.
details are here

HT0CCTH00959 fastboot
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0030
INFOversion-baseband: 26.16.04.09_M
INFOversion-main: 3.17.1010.1
INFOserialno: HT0CCTH00959
INFOimei: Removed by Mod
INFOmodelid: PD9815000
INFOcidnum: KT___901
INFObattery-voltage: 4204mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 62d2f26e
finished. total time: 0.012s
all help greatly appreciated

with an s on device,a seperate flash of the boot image is required,the custom recovery is NOT able to install it. in otherwords,your device is hung at the splash screen because you have no kernel.

you have 2 options:
1)open your rom on the pc,and find the boot image. transfer it to your "fastboot" directory. place the phone in fastboot(not hboot) and flash the boot image with:

fastboot flash boot imagename.img

example image named "boot": fastboot flash boot boot.img

wouldnt hurt to wipe data,cache,dalvik cache and flash the rom one more time.

2)you can restore a stock nandroid(you made one right?) or install a stock rom that may be compatible with your current kernel

failing those two,there is actually a third option:
3)relock bootloader and run a signed ruu. however,the ruu must match several criteria for an s on phone,and some of the less common builds are not available.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Hello Scotty

sorry to piggyback this existing thread, but I have the exact same problem as the OP. I can create a new thread if you prefer, just let me know. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you had new links to the "revolutionary drivers" unrevoked.com download, as the link no longer works? I did manage to download your mini-adb.zip link. Is that still the best version to use (seeing as this thread is 2 years old) :)

thanks very much for any help you can provide. My phone is currently frozen on the white screen with the green HTC logo, and finding this thread has given me hope, if only I can find the right download for my particular model!

Upvote 0
Hello Scotty

sorry to piggyback this existing thread, but I have the exact same problem as the OP. I can create a new thread if you prefer, just let me know. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you had new links to the "revolutionary drivers" unrevoked.com download, as the link no longer works? I did manage to download your mini-adb.zip link. Is that still the best version to use (seeing as this thread is 2 years old) :)

thanks very much for any help you can provide. My phone is currently frozen on the white screen with the green HTC logo, and finding this thread has given me hope, if only I can find the right download for my particular model!

here is a link for drivers:
Simple File Sharing and Storage.

we are going to need more information about your phone and how it came to be in the state that its in in order to help.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,

Thank so much for the help! Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me. Can you double-check it please? It says "The file you attempted to download has been previously claimed by a copyright holder through a valid DMCA request and cannot be downloaded".

I've got a HTC Desire HD bought from Vodafone Spain with contract. The phone is not rooted, is S-ON, and has the same software that was on it when I bought it (stock I believe it's called). A few months back I did a factory reset as it was running slow. It's been running great since, until yesterday when it suddenly started rebooting and rebooting without stopping, in some kind of loop. I eventually took out the battery, and when I put it back in, now I get the white screen with the HTC logo (which is the usual screen I see at start time), but it stays stuck there.

I followed Granite's advice to the OP, but that didn't work, so then I started following yours, but of course I need the downloads.

Thanks so much for your generous help!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
yup,the link is working fine for me. might try with a different browser or loosen up your antivirus/firewall temporarily.

there are a few things that can be tried if you get drivers working,but when a stock phone starts doing something like that without cause,the chances are good that some sort of hardware failure is the prollem. does the phone have any warranty? it may be a better option if so,as unlocking the bootloader technically could void any warranty it has. :(

edit:
heres a dropbox link that may work easier for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qzcpcfhwfj18t1/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe?dl=0

Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty

Unfortunately the phone is out of warranty, so I think this is my only option.
I got the drivers from your Dropbox link. Here's the output of the fastboot command. I've blanked out the imei info.

c:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5
INFOserialno: HT0BERX02626
INFOimei: xxx
INFOcidnum: VODAP304
INFObattery-voltage: 4094mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
finished. total time: 0.044s

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty

Unfortunately the phone is out of warranty, so I think this is my only option.
I got the drivers from your Dropbox link. Here's the output of the fastboot command. I've blanked out the imei info.

c:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5
INFOserialno: HT0BERX02626
INFOimei: xxx
INFOcidnum: VODAP304
INFObattery-voltage: 4094mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
finished. total time: 0.044s

the red parts are what is going to make a rescue attempt tricky. with security on,youll need to find an RUU that passes all the phones security criterias. unfortunately,not many vodaphone RUUs made it out into the world :(

alternately,in a nutshell,we will need to:
1)unlock bootloader and install a recovery http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-how-unlock-install-recovery-root-htcdev.html

2)flash this zipfile in recovery: set main version low

3)create a gold card. this part may be tricky. you can possibly use the adb commands in recovery,if you dont have another android phone you could use. the first part of the code from this thread to make your gold card: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

4)if you can successfully make the gold card and lower the main version,we can now run any RUU that we chose :D i would recomend this one: Shipped ROMs

you will have to alter the directions some since your phone cannot boot completely. youll for the most part be doing the parts that involve fastboot( fastboot xxxx commands) with exception of making the gold card.

i know this is a bit vauge,well help you along as needed

hope that gets you started :)

Upvote 0
Thanks again Scotty

I realise that this is an awkward one, and would appreciate any help you can give. It hasn't been going so well.
I'm stuck on step 1 "unlock with htcdev". Unfortunately "adb devices" returns no devices:

c:\mini-adb-desirehd>adb devices
List of devices attached

c:\mini-adb-desirehd>

However, "fastboot devices" DOES return my device. So I'm not sure if this is a problem? I tried selecting FASTBOOT on the phone before typing "adb devices" on the pc, but it still made no difference. I also tried different USB ports on my laptop but I haven't been able to get it working.

Then I tried this, which also failed.
c:\mini-adb-desirehd>adb reboot bootloader
error: device not found

Any suggestions? Why would "fastboot devices" work but not "adb devices"?

Also, I registered on HTCdev

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones