• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Dream touchscreen failure, subsequent hanging on splash screen

Calculon000

Lurker
Jul 21, 2011
A little background;

I bought an HTC Dream used a few weeks ago, I successfully rooted it, and installed Cyanogen 6, and used the phone for a couple weeks afterward. Then a couple days ago the touchscreen decided to die. The LCD screen functions fine, it is simply the touchscreen that has failed.

Literally every touchscreen device I have ever owned in my life has done this, I don't know why, but it makes me paranoid. As it turns out, this phone was no exception. It's one of the reasons I will never get a phone without a physical keyboard.

Of course, without the touchscreen, I cannot use the phone, as I cannot operate the unlock screen that displays after the display times out. Thus, I hope in vain that perhaps it's a software issue and attempt to wipe (factory reset) and re-ROM Cyanogen 6 in the recovery screen, using the zip file of Cyanogen 6 I still had on the root of the SD card. Now, the phone hangs on the Roger's logo screen. After displaying the Roger's logo splash screen, the phone turns itself off where it probably should be starting the Cyanogen startup animation. I have tried this with the phone charger plugged in so I don't think it's the battery dying as I try this. I am still able to access the recovery system/console fine, so it's not 'bricked'.

So my question is this; Could a faulty touchscreen cause the phone to flip out during booting and hang or do you guys think it's perhaps the 'motherboard' that is faulty and I should start thinking of all the creative ways I can use a new paperweight?

I have ordered a touchscreen digitizer part online for $14 and I'm hoping that replacing that part will solve the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. I like the design of the HTC Dream I'll try to replace this one I have to.

(As an aside, I am back to rocking my old Sony Ericcson W200 I got second hand from a friend many months ago that I was so very desperate to get rid of when I got this HTC Dream. Finally having a full keyboard and a real operating system was like having a massive thorn in my head finally removed. Now I'm stuck in T9-land again. I am so very, very sick of this thing's stupid orange face, not to mention the Roger's logo from the HTC Dream at this point. :p )

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones