• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Evo 3D Voltage/Heat Issues

Does your 3vo get hot under the following charging conditions? (click choices in wall _and_ USB)

• YES - when using the wall charger, my phone gets hot

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • NO - when using the wall charger, my phone stays cool

Votes: 59 44.4%
  • MAYBE - when using the wall charger, mine is sometime hot, sometime not

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • YES - when using USB/computer, my phone gets hot

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • NO - when using USB/computer, my phone stays cool

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • MAYBE - when using USB/computer, mine is sometime hot, sometime not

Votes: 20 15.0%

• Total voters
I have occasionally noticed my phone getting very hot too. Sometimes when I'm talking on the phone I can feel the screen get very hot against my face, even though the screen is not lit.

I've also had times where it was in my pocket and it got really hot, only way to get it to cool down was pull the battery, let it cool off, then put it back in and reboot. I've only used my stock wall charger and a motorola car charger.

I have since done a hard reset (hadn't been done since before I updated to ICS) to try and fix Swype, and I'll pay attention to see if it gets warm again. I've also setup an alert if the temp exceeds 104 degrees F using the battery monitor I've been using for awhile.

Upvote 0
I noticed my 3D got warm again last night, so I checked the temp using my battery monitor app and I saw it was around 99-100 degrees F. So it definitely was getting warm, but didn't quite hit the 105 degree F threshold I set for my alarm.

This started when I was using my 3G connection to try and find a webpage, while I also had Bluetooth and GPS on (which they are always on usually). So not when I was talking on it, but using the data connection. It definitely was warm enough to feel it in my pocket.

Is 100 degrees F unusual (possibly indicative of a weakened battery)? Or is that pretty a pretty common temp for new smart phones if you're using a bunch of stuff at once?

Upvote 0
evo 3d becomes very hot in normal use,when not charging. When battery is fully charged, i turn on my phone without sim, all apps turned off, but the phone getts extremely hot and battery discharges in 40min. Battery is new, 3.7v 2450mah. After that i can't charge battery using wall charger via micro usb port. Then i pullout the battery and charge it with universal charging dock (stand). Can anybody tell me where is the problem? Thanks

Upvote 0
evo 3d becomes very hot in normal use,when not charging. When battery is fully charged, i turn on my phone without sim, all apps turned off, but the phone getts extremely hot and battery discharges in 40min. Battery is new, 3.7v 2450mah. After that i can't charge battery using wall charger via micro usb port. Then i pullout the battery and charge it with universal charging dock (stand). Can anybody tell me where is the problem? Thanks

I wonder if your new battery was defective.

Did this happen with the old one?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
You can verify the software by doing a factory data reset.

That will clear off all information, your settings, apps and let you set it up clean, like a brand new phone.

I recommend just setting up the basics to begin, your account information, and use it a day or two. If reception is good and performance seems snappy, then I'd trust the hardware and software.

If the problem persists, I'd replace the battery, sorry.

Blinking red means that the battery has been run down too far and needs some charge before allowing it to turn on.

It's better to not run the battery all the way down - they last longer if you charge them before that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones