• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC EVO ROM Review Thread

Chckycrk

Oct 22, 2011
Mount Clemens, MI
Here I will be testing out several of the most popular ROMS (mostly developed from AOSP) For the Evo 4G. I will go over boot time, battery life (0-10 Scale), features, etc..

These reviews aren't indicative of every EVO 4G, and are my personal view.

Well then, lets get on with it.

(Kelsogenmod) MetroGenMod 4.5 -
Since I'm flashed to metroPCS I chose this ROM as my daily driver. I had CM7 on my Optimus M and LOVED it, So naturally I was familiar.

Boot Time - Pretty standard. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't much faster than any other CM7 install. Pretty much what you would expect from CM.

Battery Life - 7.5. I say this because 1. The Evo never really had superb battery life to begin with, it decreases exponentially with just 20 minutes of medium-heavy use. Just today I took my phone off charge at 100 percent, 20 - 25 minutes of medium-heavy use saw a decline in over 30 PERCENT of battery.

Features - I like the fact that almost no ROMs sound as great as this one. DSP manager is an epic tool that should be seriously considered.

Cyanogenmod has always been jam-packed with tons of features and is one of the best ROMs available for your device.

Should you use this ROM as a daily driver? Yes
Why? You have the best of both worlds, AOSP, and all the features of the EVO work such as FFC, 4G, LED notifications and more.

Where can I find this ROM? Right Hyaw

DigitalKarma V8: Reincarnation

THIS ROM is epic. It is one of the most beautifully developed and themed ROMs available for the EVO. I Thoroughly enjoyed using it (for about 8 days).

Boot Time - At first boot it was slow (as expected) but standard boot times are quite speedy. The included boot animation is fun to look at and just as cool as the rest of the ROM is.

Battery Life - 8. The battery life is PHENOMENAL on this thing (could it be the kernel?) I went all day with moderate use ( a handful of calls, texts. About 20 minutes of music. Tweets, and a few Youtube videos) *All day = 10 hours.

Features - DigitalKarma V8 Has a ton of features worth noting such as HTC Sense (1.0 I think) which is gorgeous for the EVO, Cool lockscreen, cool fonts, Modded Hotspot capability, Built in EPST.
This ROM is a killer amongst all the others but there are a few cons. The sound quality of music could have been better, The stock browser doesn't have incognito (another reason I love CM7), some applications were laggy.

Overall This was a great ROM that needed little improvement. It's like having the best of both worlds: All the stock features of the EVO (4G, 720p Video, EPST) but with all the speed of AOSP (Deodexed, de-bloated, memory optimization)

Should you use this ROM as a Daily Driver? Yes, in fact this could be the last ROM you ever need.

Where Can I find it? In this thread

-

Strike! AOSP Speed TEAM D.I.R.T ICS 4.0.4

I also personally used this ROM for about 2 weeks.

Boot time - Okay. Slightly slower than the CM7 boot process.

Battery Life - 6.0. ABYSMAL. I was rarely ever able to go longer than a few hours on this ROM. So if you go with this one, bring a charger/extended battery.

Features - This ROM brings all the best features of ICS (except facial unlock, but who needs that anyway) to the EVO. With the ability to download all the latest apps, Google now modification, compatibility with flashed phones, and the cool look and feel of ICS.
Unfortunately you wont get FFC, Video recording, 4G, and theres some wonkiness with apps like Meetme and using dual LED flashlight will cause temporary bricking.

So, Should you use this as your daily driver? You can. I didnt have any issues with using it for two weeks straight (except for what was listed).

Why? because I said so.

Where can I find this ROM? Right Thurr

Upvote 0
My suggestion: Use the OP as a post with links to the specific posts where the other reviews are located.

Otherwise I can see this getting very hard to get through as members post things and you add new ROMS.

Example:

Check out my X ROM review here : link to post #

Y ROM here: Link to post #

Maybe by the time you get through a few ROMS have a top 5 pick for new rooters and list them

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones