• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Evo Rooted...want to Unroot

akvanosdol

Lurker
May 18, 2011
I guess thats the way to describe it? I know nothing about these phones. At all. I bought it off craigslist and its rooted. I am trying to update my phone and it wont let me. And from what Im reading online its because its rooted.
I want to unroot it. I have no reason to have it rooted because, I dont even know what the point is. So if anyone can explain this to me, as easy as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok before we unroot it, just so you know you can't re-root it as of yet. when you update it will change your bootloader to one that has no root exploit found yet. once you update and you change your mind, you will have to wait for who knows how long. that being said rooting allows you total freedom of your phone. you get free tethering, you can get sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 on your phone which no unrooted evo can get. you can increase your batter life by being rooted. you can remove all of the bloatware on your phone. rooted phones can do more trouble shooting where as unrooted phones all you really have is a hard or factory reset or a sprint tech.

so please consider this before you unroot your phone. and read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. there is a section on how to unroot. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok before we unroot it, just so you know you can't re-root it as of yet. when you update it will change your bootloader to one that has no root exploit found yet. once you update and you change your mind, you will have to wait for who knows how long. that being said rooting allows you total freedom of your phone. you get free tethering, you can get sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 on your phone which no unrooted evo can get. you can increase your batter life by being rooted. you can remove all of the bloatware on your phone. rooted phones can do more trouble shooting where as unrooted phones all you really have is a hard or factory reset or a sprint tech.

so please consider this before you unroot your phone. and read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. there is a section on how to unroot. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Its ok if I cant root it again...hell, I didnt know it was rooted until someone at work told me. I have no idea how to do any of these things. I am at loss and so confused. I have read a couple pages on google on how to unroot it, but I am still really confused!

Upvote 0
ok so if you still want to unroot here are the steps:
1. download file#1: PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radi..zip and file #2:Unrevoked S-On Tool
2.rename file #1 by erasing everything in the name except for PC36IMG. do not add a .zip as windows hides extensions will the name would be wrong.
3.transfer file #2, the s-on tool, to the root of the sd card (no folders)
4.power off then press and hold power+vol down this will get you to the bootloader screen
5.select recovery
6.select "intsall from sd card" and find and select the file
7. afterwards connect your phone via usb and select "mounts and storage" then select "mount usb storage"
8.transfer the file to the root of the sd card
9.power off the phone by holding the power button down for 2 sec.
10.press and hold power+vol down
11.it will go into the booloader screen and automatically scan for the PC36IMG file.
12.select yes to update and you should be unrooted!!!!!!!!

hope this helps. any questions you have please feel to ask.

Upvote 0
it is pretty hard to brick your phone. we have the stock rooted gingerbread ota rom. all you have todo is flash that and you are updated. we can walk you through the process. but i also recommend that you read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. there is a section "after rooting" that explains flashing roms. just ignore the rom manager part. rom manager is very buggy and has caused more problems then it is worth using. and if you have questions please feel free to ask it.

Upvote 0
I am having technical issues with the phone, I keep getting this error message that tell me I am not logged into the Sprint/PCS network. I thought about just doing to Gingerbread update but I was worried about bricking the phone, is that possible?

The only way I have really seen an Evo "bricked" is by pulling the battery during a radio flash or having the battery die during one. Flashing roms and such hasn't done it to my knowledge. Just make sure you have at least 50% battery before making any changes so you have plenty in case of issues. The battery doesn't charge in hboot or recovery.

Upvote 0
ok so if you still want to unroot here are the steps:
1. download file#1: PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radi..zip and file #2:Unrevoked S-On Tool
2.rename file #1 by erasing everything in the name except for PC36IMG. do not add a .zip as windows hides extensions will the name would be wrong.
3.transfer file #2, the s-on tool, to the root of the sd card (no folders)
4.power off then press and hold power+vol down this will get you to the bootloader screen
5.select recovery
6.select "intsall from sd card" and find and select the file
7. afterwards connect your phone via usb and select "mounts and storage" then select "mount usb storage"
8.transfer the file to the root of the sd card
9.power off the phone by holding the power button down for 2 sec.
10.press and hold power+vol down
11.it will go into the booloader screen and automatically scan for the PC36IMG file.
12.select yes to update and you should be unrooted!!!!!!!!

hope this helps. any questions you have please feel to ask.

i goet all the way to where i want to update the pc36 file.. and it says its older version.. i guess im not sure what to do..

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.10.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Aug 19 2010, 14:29:08

i downloaded the 2.10 pc36imp.. but it tells me its older?

Upvote 0
i goet all the way to where i want to update the pc36 file.. and it says its older version.. i guess im not sure what to do..

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.10.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Aug 19 2010, 14:29:08

i downloaded the 2.10 pc36imp.. but it tells me its older?

do i need to flash a rom or what? it just boots to the white screen..

i would try and re-download the file and see. it could be a bad download.
just to be safe, get the file here:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MUSAURP7

Upvote 0
im having a little trouble with it.. i put the s-on zip onto the root directory of the sd card, went into recovery, selected install zip from sd card, selected it, and it gives me this error:

verifying system type...
E: unsupported radio version
E: Update Failed. Check /sdcard/soff.log
E:Error in /sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip(status 42)
installation aborted

anyone know of a fix for this?
my hboot is 2.10.0001
radio shows: 2.15.00.05.02

any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0
re-dled it, same issue, tried to change the radio version but they all the installs abort and mention something about to old for 2.3 or something of the like..

everytime i try to install the S-on tool i get the same error msgs.. does it have anything to do with the fresh 3.5 rom? my hero was easier to unroot than this, all i had to do with that one was run the RUU that i dled from htc and it unrooted it.. anymore ideas?

Upvote 0
re-dled it, same issue, tried to change the radio version but they all the installs abort and mention something about to old for 2.3 or something of the like..

everytime i try to install the S-on tool i get the same error msgs.. does it have anything to do with the fresh 3.5 rom? my hero was easier to unroot than this, all i had to do with that one was run the RUU that i dled from htc and it unrooted it.. anymore ideas?

no fresh has nothing to do with your issue. what recovery do you have? try this file:Unrevoked S-On Tool. i used this file when i unrooted my evo last time.

out of curiosity why do you want to unroot your phone?

Upvote 0
so i skipped the step on the off chance that maybe it worked lol.. the bootloader scanned, said no image or bad image, then asked if i wanted to install it.. i selected vol up, then it went thru all the dl stuff.. unzipped and said ok down the list, then restarted and i seemed to be unrooted! :p

not sure what it was, the bootloader said s-off the whole time, but it unrooted.. good stuff.. thx for the help

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones