• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC m9 vs LG g4 It's so hard!!!

Which phone?

• HTC m9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LG g4

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

dwang040

Dec 17, 2013
So, m old phone broke and i'm looking for a new phone. Personally, i would have bought a xperia z5, but since it's not comming to the us, my parents do not trust the so called "sketchy" sites, and what not. In short, they will not let me get the xperia z5. That's cool since i'll get it next year in college. So that leaves me with two choices, the htc m9 or the lg g4. I've picked those two phones for specific reasons, but now i can't decide which one to get. Here's my thoughts, and i'd like to hear yours.
Design goes to HTC, no doubt. I'm not to big of the all plastic build (no leather lg, not my style). Also, the htc is smaller, and i prefer it that way. I'm sure the lg g4 buttons are there for a good reason, but i'm somewhat "traditional" with the side buttons. That's just me.
Screen goes to no one. Pixels don't matter since both screens are very sharp. the htc is brigher but the lg g4 has a lower screen brightness. So i can't say i favor one screen over the other. I guess lg's screen is more color accurate?
battery goes to htc since it lasts a few minutes longer. Or does it? every where I go, its different results. According to phone arena, the htc lasts 30-60 minutes longer. charging times don't really matter to me. i charge when i sleep so... But i will give props to lg for including a removable back, so when the battery does go bad, i can always change it. So lg wins?
Camera goes to lg? Supposedly the update helped out htc camera, but i'm sure the lg is still better.
Performance goes to no one. The lg runs cooler but the htc runs better. So i guess it depends on how hot the htc gets. I'm sure the sd 808 is just as smooth, but benchmarks give it to the sn810.
Finally, misc. The htc has better media output (and i love listening to music, like whenever i get the chance). But, the lg g4 is easier to root. I don't have a usable computer to root with, so as far as i'm aware, i need a pc to root the htc, and i don't know if i can live without root. xposed module, spotify skip, youtube adaway (a big one) oh man...

What do you think, did you use both devices, know someone who had what not. I need to make a decision fast, and i'm stuck. Thank you for your input.

Well I have the G4 and have had a G2 which wife has now.You will get use to the back buttons and there really is not a way to root U.S. G4's that I'm aware of without real big risk of bootloop and/or bricking.
But me,I'm not concerned about rooting the G4,Because its so fast.
And battery life is not near as good as our G2.But still not bad in real life.
I really love my G4 and I thought on getting it for 2 months.

But what I've read in you post,You really just need a push towards the HTC.
The reason I said that is in your post you really like the HTC M9.

Upvote 0
Conversely my daughter has an M9 and loves it. But then I have a low opinion of Samsung's Android UI and menus (I have a Samsung tablet but a HTC phone), so I think there's a big element of "what you are used to".

Rooting a HTC is generally very simple, but the methods I would recommend do require a computer (I'm not a fan of "rooting apps" anyway, some of which are quite sketchy imo). Some US carriers make it harder, though I don't think Sprint are the worst there (but I'm European so that stuff is all second hand to me, so best to check).

Upvote 0
Okay, AMOCO, the main reason i'm considering the lg is because of the screen, camera, and removable back. call it "future proof" cause then i can switch out a bad battery. But now that you mentioned that rooting a g4 is very hard, i'll have to look into that, that does change the game. Cause again, i had a plastic phone before, and it felt "flimsy" and i do love music, front facing speakers is a must since i do show videos to friends and cupping the speakers in a loud environment isn't to great. But dang, that camera and removable back...Cause if the phone really does heat up that hot, the battery is going to get "destroyed" fast. And it's non removable so, i guess i'll be stuck with shoddy battery life for years.

AZgl are the colors that faded? What do you mean by that? Also does it overheat when she uses her phone under load. I don't know, does it heat up when she multitasks, or plays heavy games. i don't know what she does, but in short, does it get as hot as everyone claims. also, hows the battery life?

Hadron i've read some things about htc rooting, and yes, i'll need a pc to unlock the bootloader, and by then, i might as well use a pc to root it. I was able to easily root my previous lg phone with t-mobile, so maybe it'll be possible for htc. Anyways, as said in AZgl's blurb above, does the phone overheat during cpu and gpu intensive things like streaming videos, heavy gaming, etc. And hows the battery life?

Thanks

Upvote 0
It's my daughter's phone rather than mine, so I can't give much of an analysis as I don't use it for more than a few minutes, and she's not a heavy gamer (does stream stuff, but being sensible she uses WiFi when available). But she doesn't complain about heat or battery life. All 2015 high end SoCs get hot under use (the S5's Eynos actually runs hotter than the HTC's s810), but the internal layout of the M9 does mean that the battery is more exposed to the heat, so if you do run it hot I'd expect that to impact battery life. But with current firmware my understanding is that it is the coolest running s810 device around. May be best to ask in our M9 forum if you want more hands on info.

One thing I would say is that you should try both out in a shop before buying - look and feel with the real device is important too.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all your input guys, just random fyi, i did go with the htc because of the newer processor and gpu (supposedly htc fixed the overheating issue, so if good temps mean 95F, then maybe the issue is fixed), and also, they only had the leather version for the g4, and i was worried that after months of accidental scuffing, the leather would get damaged and look worn out. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones