• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One (M8) will not boot into HBOOT or recovery

sav_j

Lurker
Feb 13, 2016
Hello, people of Android Forums, I have a serious problem with my HTC One (M8) that I need your help with fixing. I will try and explain the situation I'm in in as much detail as I can (apologies in advance for the many parentheses, hehe).

Yesterday evening (Feb 12th 2016), I downloaded the latest CyanogenMod 13 nightly build (cm-13.0-20160212-NIGHTLY-m8.zip) as per usual (I like keeping up-to-date with my updates and nothing bad has happened prior to flashing this specific update, might I add). Once it had finished downloading, I proceeded to tap "Reboot and install now", because that's the method I had always chosen and I figured doing so this time wouldn't be any different. But, upon tapping that aforementioned option, I noticed a new dialogue box appear that read something along the lines of "Performing Android update" (although it caught my eye I can't remember verbatim) and it had a progress bar in the centre of it. To my knowledge, this dialogue box had never been displayed before. My initial thoughts were "Oh, there must be something major that has changed with this build" and it seems I was correct as this build had totally changed the way ROMs were installed (or flashed) as the CyanogenMod Recovery screen never showed up this time.

After the dialogue box disappeared I was greeted with a black screen that "illuminated" (I use that word very loosely as it just became a slightly lighter shade of black, almost as if it had just been powered on) every 3-4 seconds. I thought this had something to do with the update process, as if it was a fancy visual effect or something, so I decided to let it do its thing for a few minutes. Once I came back to check on it, the same thing was happening. This was when I figured something went wrong. I unplugged the charger and let the battery drain overnight as I assumed it was still technically powered on.

In the morning I plugged the charger back in again and after a short while I tried pressing the power button but nothing happened. Then I pressed both the power and volume down buttons and after roughly 10 seconds the HTC splash screen appeared with the pink text in the top middle reading "Entering Recovery..." but then a few seconds later it went back to a black screen. The same thing goes for when I try to boot into HBOOT too, it just won't let me do it. I've been looking all over the Internet for tutorials on how to fix this issue but none of them have worked unfortunately. So this is why I came here. Hopefully somebody could shed some light on my issue here. Thank you for reading.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones