• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One SV - How to Root

Requiescat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2015
Hi,
Can anyone give me some info on rooting this model phone (running 4.2.2)? Also, I heard from a friend that it shouldn't be difficult and relatively safe if you follow instructions. I'm nervous about possibly bricking my phone, but there is so much bloatware on it that I can't help but be tempted, providing I have information I am confident is complete and reliable.

Regards

Last edited:
This phone is actually pretty easy to root as long you have some patience.

The first step is to unlock the bootloader.

WARNING THIS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE THE PHONE. SO BACK UP PHOTOS, DOCUMENTS, ETC BEFORE PROCEEDING

In order to do that you need to visit htcdev.com and follow the instructions provided through the site.

Once you have unlocked the bootloader we need to install a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP)

(There are a few different versions of the One SV. I will need your model number to post a link to the correct recovery. )

We will also need the supersu.zip found HERE. You need to put this on your sdcard.

Recovery is installed via fastboot using the command
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Where 'recovery.img' Is the name of the recovery you download.

Next, we need to boot into the recovery you just installed. (Just scroll down to recovery on the fastboot screen and select it)

Once in recovery the first thing to do is make a stock, unmodified backup. This makes sure you can recover from any future mistakes.

The next step is to install the supersu.zip

(The steps for these two vary depending on the recovery, so we can cover that once we know which one you are going use)

And the final step is to reboot your system.

If you get stuck at any point, or need clarification, just post here and I'll do my best to get you sorted :)

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hello,

I've been trying to root my HTC One SV for quite a while now (first time doing stuff like this). I got the bootloader unlocked pretty easily. The trouble started after flashing the first recovery.img (one from CWM) and trying to boot from recovery. My phone got stuck on the boot screen (the one with the HTC ONE text one there) with the beautiful purple text 'entering recovery'. Only way out was removing battery and just rebooting it. Been browsing around this forum and found that I'm possibly using the wrong recovery. I tried to use the one suggested here, but my phone isn't from any provider (certainly not from boost mobile, which apparently is a provider). How do I know which recovery to flash and where to find this?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,
Kind regards,
Mike

Upvote 0
Hey Mike, welcome to our AndroidForums! :)

Full disclosure: I don't own an HTC One SV, so I'm only pointing you to this TWRP page (which you might have already been to):

Do a control-F (text) search for "HTC One SV" and you'll see these entries:

The CWM one you linked to from frosthax1 appears to be the Boost Mobile one (as I think you implied).

Flashing the wrong recovery certainly could give you the weird behavior you are experiencing.

Other than the above, I'll let the HTC One SV experts guide you further.

Cheers!

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
Hello reader!

First of all, thanks for the fast response scary alien! Much appreciated!
Secondly, tried to flash all four of those and entering the recovery. Same routine kept happening *sad face*, but I did not brick my phone yet *victory face*.

HBOOT told me this:
*** TAMPERED *** (kind of obvious as I've been fiddling with this little f'ers brain)
*** UNLOCKED *** (small victory for me!)
K2_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.21.0000
Radio-1.21.40f.00.23
and so on...
So, skimming more forums I found that for the 4.2.2 the twrp 2.7.0.x (K2_UL, HTC ONE SV LTE) was the best recovery choice. Hoping for a victory, I flashed the recovery once more. Alas, no game!

Anyone got anymore suggestions for me or seeing what I'm doing wrong? They would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Mike

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
This is all I got when I tried to do it:

rjh2xg.png
[/IMG]
rjh2xg.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones