• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Htc releasing firmware update for 30FPS cap... let's be more proactive!

what would you say is the next best ROM, that offers 4G?
I'm in Chicago, and its 4G "heaven" here, so I dont want to lose that..

thanks!
I have 4G where I am as well but I just love the look and feel of the AOSP Rom and have no problem ditching 4G for it.

There are a few good ones for 4G. The top dogs would be Baked 1.7, Fresh 3.2, and XxXViRuSXxX V1. Calkulin's Rom is pretty tight as well. They are all based on the newest leaked Sprint update.

I say you can't go wrong with any of these.

Upvote 0
Oh my, yes, that was REALLY annoying stock. It seems as though the finger tracking issue is 100% related to the FPS lockout at 30, who would've guessed? To make this even better, HTC is continuing to say that it's not related to that, at all. How come now that I'm running 60fps my finger movements are tracked spot on on-screen?

Yes, for sure the issues are directly related. A while back, I flashed a custom kernel that nerfed the FPS uncap a bit. I was only getting around 45fps. And sure enough, the tracking got a little worse too.

If your eyes aren't sensitive enough to see the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you will definitely see the difference between shitty tracking and 1337 tracking. I refer you again to this video if you need to see for yourself. Note the tracking at 1:20 - 1:32 (before uncap) and 2:16 - 2:28 (after uncap).

YouTube - HTC Evo Framerate + Touch Sensor Comparison - Capped at 30fps vs Uncapped

Upvote 0
I have 4G where I am as well but I just love the look and feel of the AOSP Rom and have no problem ditching 4G for it.

There are a few good ones for 4G. The top dogs would be Baked 1.7, Fresh 3.2, and XxXViRuSXxX V1. Calkulin's Rom is pretty tight as well. They are all based on the newest leaked Sprint update.

I say you can't go wrong with any of these.

thanks for the suggestions!

do I have to change the stock kernel to get these Roms to run, or just flash them?
also, do any of the ones you suggested support themes?

thanks again!
:D

Upvote 0
I'm running the kingx kernel, and it's got some volume boosting tweaks. When I say some tweaks, I mean HOLY HELL! It gets loud now compared to how it was before. It can be heard clearly even in the gym when someone calls me (death metal ringtone). Usually gets people looking at me like I'm the devil, but whatever.

-edit-
Crap, forgot link.
Here.

Upvote 0

do I have to change the stock kernel to get these Roms to run, or just flash them?

thanks again!
Most of these Roms will come with a custom kernel when you flash. They will tell you what kernel they use in their thread. If a stock kernel is what you prefer, you can always flash it but the fun of being rooted is having the FPS uncapped so I would never go back to stock! The new Fresh comes with the leaked Sprint kernel. Has great battery but FPS is not unlocked so you would need to flash a new kernel if you wanted that feature.

Most of the Roms allow themes. In the theme thread it will usually tell you what they work with and what they do not. For example, some themes are made for the new leaked OTA and some have not been updated. Some themes only work for Cyanogen Roms and Sense themes will not work on Cyanogen Roms.

Best think is to read through the threads. If you look at XxXViRuSxXx thread on XDA, on his first post he kind of lets you build you own Rom. You download the base, then the kernel of your choice, then the theme you want, and any additional programs that he might have removed that you might also want.

Once you download everything, I would flash one at a time, boot up, flash the next thing, boot up, etc........

Hope this made sense.........

Upvote 0
Yes, for sure the issues are directly related. A while back, I flashed a custom kernel that nerfed the FPS uncap a bit. I was only getting around 45fps. And sure enough, the tracking got a little worse too.

If your eyes aren't sensitive enough to see the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you will definitely see the difference between shitty tracking and 1337 tracking. I refer you again to this video if you need to see for yourself. Note the tracking at 1:20 - 1:32 (before uncap) and 2:16 - 2:28 (after uncap).

YouTube - HTC Evo Framerate + Touch Sensor Comparison - Capped at 30fps vs Uncapped

I don't know if you made this video but the person who did needs to learn how to focus his camera...my eyes are hurting just watching this

Upvote 0

thanks again!

I would suggest calkulins evio rom. He includes a kernel, not his own but one he tests on his rom...right now I believe it comes with netarchys latest. It also comes with a little theme itself but it easily themed over usually with no issues.

Right now, I'm on a CM6 kick and it is performing flawlessly for me...but I have flashed tons of sense roms and calkulins has been the best as far as battery/performance and stability. After that I would say Fresh or the new virusxxx series. Baked Snacks is a good rom but always a ton of issues for me and a bunch of other people....some phones run it well but some don't .

Upvote 0
thanks for all the suggestions, folks..now if only XDA would come back online, I could grab some of these things!
One nagging question though; since I have read you need to wipe, flush davlik, etc before flashing a rom, can you then use titanium backup to restore your apps and data easily, or, does doing that bring some "unmatched" old rom system files and such to your phone?

It seems like alot of work re-installing everything after flashing a new ROM, and then deciding you want to flash another one, and go through the whole process again..

I know its work to ensure a trouble free phone after flashing, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it a 2 or 3 hour process, instead of a 9-10 hour one..
thanks again!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones