• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II?

HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II?

• Total voters
The screen on the SGS2 is quite simply brilliant. However I do not like the build quality or design of Samsungs.

Even though the sensation has the deathgrip problem and is currently unrootable (This will change soon I am convinced) if forced, I woudl definitely get the sensation over the SGS2.

However, if not forced - I would wait until something I really want is available.

Upvote 0
You make it sound like that is unfortunate. I haven't looked back once.

Drastically cheaper services.
Same good signal.
Same number.

Well, I have been with O2 a number of years. The number, signal etc is fine but currently I do need a contract due to this recession, I cannot afford a handset outright even though it can be cheaper in the longrun. Its the initial outset. I would be happy to save up for a handset before buying one but this could take me some time (It will be hard to start saving before my current contract ends next May) and I do fear that the hardware on my desire will start to fail before I have saved up.

...And it will have to be a top of the line handset. HAVE to be.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would go for the Sensation. I LOVE the Sense UI, the build quality of HTC compared to Samsung, and the overall appearance of the handset itself. Had several samsungs in the past and for me at least, build quality and reliability has always been an issue. I know the SGS II has a slight edge in performance, but I would still take any HTC over a sammy. Only gripe with HTC phones is the quality of the speaker. Nokia have always been best at this IMHO.

Upvote 0
I can't vote yet, because a T-Mobile SGSII variant is still in the air, and that's the carrier I'm headed to if I indeed end up leaving Berizon. I can get the same service (with unlimited minutes) on my primary line, and more minutes data on my secondary line for $30/mo. less than what I'm paying now. And they now have partner coverage in an area I exclusively needed Berizon for the longest time. I only visit there, so I don't really "need" Berizon anymore.

In addition T-Mobile offers WiFi calling. There are some areas I work in where I really wish Berizon offered that, although only a few. Too bad sATanT&T is likely to acquire T-Mobile and ruin it before my contracts run out on Berizon.

Fortunately, both appear to be exceptional phones so far. Anand gave the sensation very positive remarks overall, especially with battery life as a wifi hotspot, and build quality. The new camera is excellent, too, and it can record audio in stereo. I do worry about being able to fully appreciate MHL when HTC struggles to play video files that Samsung devices support with ease.

Decisions, decisions.

Upvote 0
I am having doubts on what to buy either.

Is sense a good enough reason to get the Sensation or you can get something like that in the GS2?

Some people love Sense. Some people hate Sense. Some people love TouchWiz. Some people hate TouchWiz. It is extremely dependent on your personal preference. I will say this, with the SGSII already in the hands of a top dev, and no official unlock of the Sensation's bootloader (at least that I'm aware of yet) from HTC, you will likely see a heck of a lot more custom stuff out for the SGSII. If you're the type that roots, you will be able to pick the ROM to your liking. Hopefully the unlock drops soon for the Sensation and we can pick what we like on both phones. Some people would rather have the Sensation despite Sense, and will get rid of it first chance they get, or skin another launcher onto it.

I personally don't mind Sense, but there are features it has lacked that alternative launchers have in more abundance, including customizability. This latest Sense found on the Sensation is quite good, however, and brings some true usability to the table. I have heard likewise remarks about the latest iteration of TouchWiz as well, but I haven't seen that in action personally as of yet.

Upvote 0
ive played with both for considerable time and i have to say other than build quality the SGS2 poos all over the sensation.
why oh why for a high and handset are htc persistent in not including any build in storage like other phones?
you still need and bloody microSD just to take a bloody picture
sgs2 takes microSD and has 16gb built in
the camera and video on the sgs2 is much smoother.
screen is better
flashing is a peace of piss

basically if i had to get a phone now it wouldnt be a sensation.

Upvote 0
ive played with both for considerable time and i have to say other than build quality the SGS2 poos all over the sensation.
why oh why for a high and handset are htc persistent in not including any build in storage like other phones?
you still need and bloody microSD just to take a bloody picture
sgs2 takes microSD and has 16gb built in
the camera and video on the sgs2 is much smoother.
screen is better
flashing is a peace of piss

basically if i had to get a phone now it wouldnt be a sensation.

But you don't live in the U.S. :(

That aside, I love my country (and my friends that are from your country, too!! :D) but our soon to be duopoly mobile market is a piece of TRASH. Granted they have gobs and gobs of land to blanket with service, but if memory serves, the government provides quite a bit of aid for tech developments and updates, not to mention the much higher prices for GB's and minutes, etc. that we have here. The consolidation and mergers have left us with precious few nationwide competitors, and only AT&T and T-Mobile are truly "with the times" simply because they us GSM handsets like most of the world's countries.

Upvote 0
I looked at the SGSII and the Sensation for a few weeks, it was really hard to decide.

In the end, I chose the Sensation because I like the look and feel of it.

They're the first ones to get qHD right, too!! That screen is great. SuperAMOLED plus is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but there are still many users who will really make good use of that extra resolution!

Upvote 0
I got the SGS2 the other day, didn't have my mind set on anything else tbh. Looked at the Sensation briefly and a few comparisons on youtube and still nothing detered me. I haven't really got on wih Samsung phones over the years but this one is just amazing. My boss got his around 3 weeks ago so I have been giving that some serious hammer and after 6 months with the HTC Desire, it was time to pass it on to my wife and get the SGS2, so far its been everything I expected from it and more!
Don't get me wrong, the Sensation is a nice phone, but I think I made the right choice, ....the Iphone was never an option either :eek:

Upvote 0
I love Sense but the SGS2 has too many benefits to pass up: -

* better processor + graphics
* better camera
* better screen
* more built in storage
* thinner and lighter

I would rather have a phone with decent software than a phone with crappy software and good specs though, so I'd have to see if Touchwiz is acceptable before purchasing an sgs2.

Coming from the original Desire (which I still use for work), both the Sensation and the SGSII are huge improvements. I rooted the Desire to get A2SD+ after getting fed up of low storage warnings. I have 400mb of apps, so it makes no difference whether my new phone has 1gb, 16gb or 100gb.

I know plenty of people like the SGSII because it's thinner and lighter. I actually thought this was a point against the SGSII - there's something nice about a handset with a little weight and a solid feel. :)

Upvote 0
Coming from the original Desire (which I still use for work), both the Sensation and the SGSII are huge improvements. I rooted the Desire to get A2SD+ after getting fed up of low storage warnings. I have 400mb of apps, so it makes no difference whether my new phone has 1gb, 16gb or 100gb.

I know plenty of people like the SGSII because it's thinner and lighter. I actually thought this was a point against the SGSII - there's something nice about a handset with a little weight and a solid feel. :)

I don't even use all the space on my Desire for apps, the extra space for me would come in handy for music, photos, etc.. I agree though that for a lot of people 1GB built in would be enough.

I like weighty phones too - until I make a long phone call! If I'm on the phone for like an hour and a half the Desire can start to make my hand ache, although that may be the case with any phone...

Upvote 0
If I'm on the phone for like an hour and a half the Desire can start to make my hand ache, although that may be the case with any phone...
I seriously hope that the weight of the Desire isn't the cause!

I mean I've never been a fitness freak, but I've never considered holding 130g for any length of time to be an issue :p

And the SGSII must be all of 20g lighter (2/3 of a packet of crisps)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones