• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense.com

HTC has said that it will only support the new Sense for the NEW products. Thus, the original Desire owner will be shafted, as the rest of the HTC owners. You will have to go out and buy either the Z or HD, or whatever new products they launch. Very very bad move on HTC's part, it will piss of the whole community of current owners.

Source please?
I just got my Desire and I REALLY hope we'll get an update ;(

Upvote 0
HTC has said that it will only support the new Sense for the NEW products. Thus, the original Desire owner will be shafted, as the rest of the HTC owners. You will have to go out and buy either the Z or HD, or whatever new products they launch. Very very bad move on HTC's part, it will piss of the whole community of current owners.

i can understand your frustration and i'm waiting for an official confirnation before having a rant but it does raise the question: have we come to expect too much from phone manufacturers?

i mean, why should we expect to get every new update? if we did, HTC would never sell another phone.

tell me, if you originally bought a PC running windows 98, would you expect to receive every software upgrade right up to windows 7 plus all the new innovations for free?

Upvote 0
Manufacturers should update phones that are at least 1 year old then stop after that, not 4 or 5 months old which is what Motorola is doing to their devices. Why bother releasing a phone that has specs to run the OS version that's currently out but released with a version almost a year and half behind and quit supporting it 5 months into its life? The Nexus One and Desire are speced to run Gingerbread and maybe even further into the future, HTC will stop at 2.2 I'm sure which I think is appropriate but if they had stopped at 2.1 then I'd be a bit peeved.

Upvote 0
i can understand your frustration and i'm waiting for an official confirnation before having a rant but it does raise the question: have we come to expect too much from phone manufacturers?

i mean, why should we expect to get every new update? if we did, HTC would never sell another phone.

tell me, if you originally bought a PC running windows 98, would you expect to receive every software upgrade right up to windows 7 plus all the new innovations for free?

Your comparison is out of whack. My phone isn't some old PC running Windows 98 awaiting Windows 7 for free. It's a 2 week old Desire that came with 2.2 pre installed. So yes, I most definitely expect HTC to give me updates for at least a good while longer. If I had a very old phone, I obviously would not expect the same. And this is not a major revision upgrade of the OS, it's an updated UI w/ some new features.

Upvote 0
...It's a 2 week old Desire that came with 2.2 pre installed. So yes, I most definitely expect HTC to give me updates for at least a good while longer.

as you can see from the post above your last one, the Desire is around six months old. the fact that you only bought it two weeks ago has no bearing on the discussion.

my point is that, we all know HTC develop and release phones at an astonishing rate but peoples expectations are sometimes way too high.

yes, 2.2 was a logical step but i don't think that 3.0 will come to the Desire. maybe the Desire will be added to the HTCSense.com porfolio once the new models have settled down but then again, by the time that happens, there will be even newer models in the pipeline and the Desire will be even further behind.

when will people be satisfied?

Upvote 0
Well I'm not expecting everything of the new sense to be ported into plain Desire, but here's my wishlist:
-GPS (Google) Map cache in SD card
-Google map with compass
-eReader
-Dolby and SRS in earphone
-Admission into Sense.com
-Phototagging

Couldn't care less about dLNa, photo filtering and somesuch stuff, can live without it, or just find some apps to make do with it. Or even with the remote wipe, or auto locate feature from Sense.com, it's too gimmicky for me, since I've rarely ever misplaced my phone, the only use for it is if my phone have run out of its juice and need to divert the calls into somewhere else, something that might just happen once or twice a year. But out of the Sense.com, it's the cloud service that makes me excited.

Upvote 0
as you can see from the post above your last one, the Desire is around six months old. the fact that you only bought it two weeks ago has no bearing on the discussion.

my point is that, we all know HTC develop and release phones at an astonishing rate but peoples expectations are sometimes way too high.

yes, 2.2 was a logical step but i don't think that 3.0 will come to the Desire. maybe the Desire will be added to the HTCSense.com porfolio once the new models have settled down but then again, by the time that happens, there will be even newer models in the pipeline and the Desire will be even further behind.

and this is why we are so lucky to have such awesome developers working on these devices. We WILL see Gingerbread on the Desire, but maybe not officially. Rooting and installing custom roms is so easy nowadays you shouldnt even worry about whether you'll see an OTA from HTC.

Upvote 0

God I hope we are NOT entering into a period where a 6 month life cycle is an acceptable standard :( IF we are and HTC are seen to be treating their customer base with such disregard I think we/they will lose out in the long run. At least Apple only release a new variety every year or so ;)

WHY would anyone want to buy a new phone (at over

Upvote 0

Yes, it most definitely has a bearing on the conversation. A product is to receive support from the end of its lifecycle, not the beginning. If expecting updates on a 2 week old product, is high, then excuse my ignorance. I'm not talking about gingerbread, that might be a long ways away, I'm talking about a release that is completed, and is given to new users with pretty much equal hardware. If Desire Z and HD gets 3.0, Desire should get it too. It's pretty much the same specs. 6 months is hardly old, it's nothing. In the long run it will pay off for HTC to take care of their customers, as they will buy new mobiles regardless, people dig new technology. If they are dicks to them, they will buy another brand, end of story.

Upvote 0
These forums are worldwide, so for me being in Canada where the Desire wasn't released until August 6 2010, the phone is only a month old to some users here. I bought the HTC Legend a month before that back in July and it had only been out for a few weeks, so it's about 3 months old. I don't expect HTC to support it forever, but I expect HTC to supply firmware updates and bug fixes for at least a year directly and/or to carriers. The Desire is the best selling phone HTC has ever had, and that success translates into a lot of customers that will want some support from HTC in the form of updates.

The analogy about Windows from someone wasn't quite right because it was a different version, so instead consider if Microsoft stopped offering Windows Updates to Windows 7 users a few months after it came out? People would be dragging Gates out of his mansion to slap him silly.
:D
yes, 2.2 was a logical step but i don't think that 3.0 will come to the Desire.
I agree, but we should see Gingerbread which is v2.3(?) according to rumours, not 3.0 which will be tablet oriented. And that makes sense since version 3 will be a bigger code change to support the tablet concept. I think we can expect that 3.0 will be the Honeycomb version and we won't see that for obvious reasons.
maybe the Desire will be added to the HTCSense.com porfolio
I don't think we'll see this new UI as it's being developed for the latest models. It would be nice if they did, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Upvote 0
These forums are worldwide, so for me being in Canada where the Desire wasn't released until August 6 2010, the phone is only a month old to some users here. I bought the HTC Legend a month before that back in July and it had only been out for a few weeks, so it's about 3 months old. I don't expect HTC to support it forever, but I expect HTC to supply firmware updates and bug fixes for at least a year directly and/or to carriers. The Desire is the best selling phone HTC has ever had, and that success translates into a lot of customers that will want some support from HTC in the form of updates.

The analogy about Windows from someone wasn't quite right because it was a different version, so instead consider if Microsoft stopped offering Windows Updates to Windows 7 users a few months after it came out? People would be dragging Gates out of his mansion to slap him silly.
:D

I don't think we'll see this new UI as it's being developed for the latest models. It would be nice if they did, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Same here actually, I'm in Europe and this phone has only been out where i live, since this summer. It's out of stock everywhere, hard to find. Bit better now obviously with new models coming shortly. I guess we can only wait and see if the new UI will be made available to us, officially.

Upvote 0
Nothing official as yet from Googly, but 3.0 is Honeycomb and Gingerbread will either be 2.3 or 2.5??? Wouldnt be like Google to just drop a release in between, anyone remember 2.0?

Gingerbread is touted to operate with phones and the tablets that are coming/out now and will be hitting the streets next month. Honeycomb is being designed especially for tablets and will be seen early next year......

The disclaimer being this is Google we are talking about and everything is subject to change :D

Upvote 0
Doesnt bother me too much if they don't bring the new sense features to the desire.

I got the phone that was advertised on the spec sheet. Software issues should be fixed but I don't really see why people think that HTC are under some obligation to provide new features?

Going back to the PC analogies, you wouldn't expect Microsoft to suddenly provide you with office or money or whatever for free 6 months after releasing a new OS? If they release yet another OS that happens to have these features bundled would you feel entitled to have them as a free upgrade for some reason? They're separate products. If I buy a ford focus and then ford release an upgraded model with a better stereo 6 months down the line then I wouldn't expect them to come and fit a new stereo for me.

I'm rambling now but my point is that fixes and ongoing support of that nature should be expected, but expecting new features just seems odd to me. You pay your money & take your choice. Be lovely if HTC give us some cool new stuff but I really can't see any reasoning behind the argument that they're obligated to do so.

Upvote 0
I wish I would still have the URL but one of the largest Spanish mobile operators announced on their Twitter account that there will be updates to the new HTCsense.com soon for "older" devices like the "Desire" and possibly others. As it is Twitter it is an unconfirmed announcement but I actually wouldn't see the reason for HTC to not do this..... I mean the more people they get hooked on their new online service the more likely it is these people will stay HTC customers.

I would like to repeat a question somebody else posted above: I am curious how this new htcsense.com integration will work on rooted phones that use a stock OS. I hop that it will still be possible to get the required app on those phones and connect to HTCsense.com. What do you guys think? Will it be possible or not?

Upvote 0
I suppose it depends on what exactly they are going to do with it.......But I would imagine it being a security issue as much as anything......

IF HTC are going to allow peeps to wipe their phones through the site then I doubt they will allow unofficial ROMs to access the site due to the security risks!

I for one dont like the prospect of allowing access to my phone via a website for one, especially one which then gives a user access to all my stuff and even the ability to block/wipe the phone :eek:

Upvote 0
Same thoughts than I had: With a custom ROM it might not work. But I could imagine that it works with a rooted phone that didn't change the ROM.

I am also torn between if I want to use this or not. I like the contacts sync, SMS backup, customization stuff...... the maps thing could be cool but normally with other map products I always keep on going back to Google Maps...there is just no comparison. Although having a map available offline is quite nice. I guess I will have to wait and see how good/usable the HTC maps are that you can download.

I also am not too interested in the wiping features and deleting data remotely. I guess some people like that but it is nothing essential for me.

Upvote 0
All seems like a nice feature set, but some of the features are already available if you use something like Lookout. And Google Contacts already covers contacts backup.

Offline maps would be cool, it's the one problem I have with Google Maps/Navigation at the moment.

It would be a real shame if HTC didn't release it for the Desire, the hardware could easily support it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones