• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC SYNC Manager Backup Issue

I recently upgraded my HTC One M8 from AT&T's Android 4.4.2 to 5.0.2 and ran into the "Device Unavailable. Please reconnect phone (4)" error message. I got around the connection error by re-installing the AndroidHTCSYnc2.APK. The missing APKs were no where to be found on the phone, so I copied from missing APKs from the Programfiles(x86)/HTC/HTC_Manager folder on my laptop into the internal storage of the HTC One M8. This resolved the connection problem but a NEW problem popped up with backups.

The NEW problem is the HTC SYNC manager backups the phone but doesn't increment the name of the new backup version. In my case, the new backup file is always named BR_4641343457574D3037333337. Because the backup version name isn't changed by the SYNC manager... I get only one backup version. Subsequent backup attempts result in the overwriting of the old backup. Also the SYNC manager does not recognize any of the older backup versions that I made (prior to the OS update) and moved to a separate directory. I can only assume that there is some APK interface that is missing on the phone to communicate with the SYNC manager that a success backup was made.

BR_4641343457574D3037333337 is the name of the last backup on the SYNC manager prior to the update of phone to AT&T's Android 5.0.2.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones