• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Thunderbolt Review-From a biased X Owner - Edited!

708353ktyzp004l8.gif

I am now a Thunderbolt user, I took my wife's upgrade and gave her the X. I would have waited but her Blackberry died Saturday and the Thunderbolt was the only 4g phone available right now. Stock thunderbolt is much smoother than stock X, But I already miss the X and I prefer the way the X feels in my hands

Upvote 0
How is your battery life compared to the X?

Thanks for your review, very good job! Battery is the main concern for me. All the form factor and options are great but for some reason it seems that HTC phones are plagued with poor battery life. My Incredible was this way, friend's Evo's, and now I talked to a buddy with a Thunderbolt and he says his battery gets him about 5 hours. I know that there are things you can adjust/get an extended battery and try to get more battery life...but I don't think you should have to. I was amazed when I moved to my X and could get 12-15 hours on the stock battery, using the phone how I wanted. Why is this such a problem for HTC? If they could fix this, there would be almost nothing bad to say...

Upvote 0
In a word.......sense. their biggest advantage is also their biggest weakness.
I have to say that I was expecting bad battery life on my Thunderbolt but so far it's about the same as my X, and super smooth. I'm having a hard time with the adb shell and rooting it though, I had no problem with adb rooting the X when I got it. I sbf'd my X and gave it to my wife, now I'm trying to root it again using z4 and haven't had any luck (I tried and hour last night, and about an hour so far tonight)

Upvote 0
I have to say that I was expecting bad battery life on my Thunderbolt but so far it's about the same as my X, and super smooth. I'm having a hard time with the adb shell and rooting it though, I had no problem with adb rooting the X when I got it. I sbf'd my X and gave it to my wife, now I'm trying to root it again using z4 and haven't had any luck (I tried and hour last night, and about an hour so far tonight)

The battery life on my Thunderbolt is about what I was getting on my Droid X, granted I did some tweaking with the Bolt (OC,UC/UV, bloatware gone, etc). So this phone has really impressed me! Two weeks after the fact, I am still very happy with my purchase. CM7 is now in Alpha stages, so I only have to wait just a little longer to never have sense again! WOOT!

Upvote 0
Really? I am still in love with my Tbolt. I enjoy the features, and have no complaints about battery life anymore!

What Rom and kernel are you running? I have major problems browsing and texting, the keyboard (all 5 that I've used) lags and I have to type real slow. When browsing and I long press a link it doesn't bring up the right menu 95% of the time, I have to zoom all the way in then find it again before I can open in new tab, the reason this may be a deal breaker for me is because the browser is the main thing I use

Upvote 0
I'm on Bamf 1.6.2 also, all the problems I have had have been present with this rom, stock and every other rom I've flashed, I think it's the phone. I'm not sure if it's just not for me or if my phone is faulty. I have been able to get 15 hours with 20 mins of talking, no text, no emails, no browsing, no fun lol. I have had LTE turned off since the outage because it's not even in my area yet.

Upvote 0
I already miss the X and I prefer the way the X feels in my hands

I know what you mean here. The main thing that I miss about my DX is the way it felt in my hand as well. I don't know if it's just because I got familiar to it over the 9 months I had it or what, but after using my G2x for a while, when I pick my DX back up it's like going home again.

The G2x is as thin as my DX is, except for the hump. And as much as it surprises me, I miss that hump when holding the LG device. Like I said it might just be because that's what I got used to. Like if I'd had this device first and then got a DX I might miss the way the G2x felt.

But I can't say that forsure. I also notice that even though I consider the LG G2x to be a very well made, quality device, the Motorola really just feels very solid and substantial. I like the metal body and weight of the DX. I guess that's what I miss about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones