• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Thunderbolt Review-From a biased X Owner - Edited!

Thats

That guy is This
Feb 19, 2010
Fargo, ND
Alright, background story first and foremost. I am a 21 year old who loves technology. If I can afford it, I want it. Needless-to-say, I love Phandroid and hearing about rumor phones. 2 years ago, I bought a HTC Droid Eris, which I loved, I rooted it and was into the Android scene for life. Jumping ahead to today, I was planning on keeping my beloved Droid X until Verizon would come out with another ASOP phone (I had my eye on the Targa). Until I went in to my local Verizon dealer, to talk about some changes to my folks family plan that I am on. Long story short, I ended up walking out with a Thunderbolt and have a cheaper plan and locked into 4G pricing (hopefully).
Now that you know where I come from, and you realize that I loved the Droid X, lets get onto the review. Although I will do this different, I would hope. Coming from the perspective of a bias Droid X owner!

First Impressions:
In the store when I first started logging into the phone with my Gmail, the first thing that I noticed was the vibrancy of the display. I know that it has a lower resolution than the Droid X (TB=480x800 X=480x845) but the colors just JUMPED out of the screen at me. It was like I was looking at totally different applications with actual color to them. The next thing that I noticed, when I actually picked up the phone was the beautiful form factor, and how it feels in my hand. If there is one thing HTC gets right, it’s the way their phones feel in your hand. I think it’s the most beautiful phone that I have owned. It just feels “right” sitting in your hand.

User Experience:
The second that I picked up this phone, I knew I was going to have a learning curve towards holding it and not pressing buttons. As most of you know, the volume up/down button is one large bar on the phone. Now this is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but it is very simple to bump and change the volume on your phone. When I was rooting it I actually bumped it while picking it up which caused the phone to cancel the root update, 100% my fault, but very simple to be repeated by others.

There is one thing that I absolutely loved about the Droid X, and that was the lock button. It was large, easy to press, in a accessible place for either hand, and was relatively a simple task to lock my phone with. With the Thunderbolt, that lock button is on the slightly right side of the phone(still on top, thankfully), and more flush with the side of the phone. Thus making it harder to reach with your left hand if you carry your phone with one hand. The button is also smaller than the button on your X, and takes a little bit more strength to push in. I am sure that I will be able to get used to it, but right now it actually takes me holding the phone in way that hurts, and I feel I could possibly drop my beloved new toy.

Hard button vs Soft touch:
First thing you will notice, obviously, that there are soft buttons on the Thunderbolt, unlike the nice hard buttons on the X. The next thing you will hopefully notice is that the home and menu buttons are switched around between Motorola and HTC. This is currently a problem for me, but I will obviously learn to adapt. Most of the times I would say I prefer to have hard buttons, but on this phone the soft keys are definitely the way to go. Nothing better than soft key with haptic feedback.

I will briefly talk about Sense:
Since I have once before owned a phone that had Sense on it, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Once again I was not surprised, except for the fact that this phone makes the Sense run FLAWLESSLY. Seriously, I have not seen a skinned phone run smoother. I would say that it is on the same plane, if not higher, than the iPhone in the fact that it almost knows what I am going to click. If you have played with an iPhone, you would understand what I mean. Overall, if you are going to stay stock in the Droid X vs. Thunderbolt. Go with Sense. Motoblur is just too damn sluggish, Sense is really beautiful, just not my style.

Call Quality:
One of the many problems that you hear with HTC Phones almost all the time is along the lines of “Call quality is horrid! HTC only cares about what the phone looks like, not how you actually sound on the phone! I can’t hear anyone if it starts blowing 10 MPH outside!” In my experience of owning the phone for 3 days now and pretty much only calling on it, I think that most of those people had a bad phone, or were in a place where no phone would have worked. 10+MPH gusts aren’t exactly perfect for any phone, from what I have heard in my experience. I would give credit to Motorola for making a phone that just plain works, in the term of being able to hear people. But I see no reason for call quality of the Thunderbolt to detract you from this gorgeous phone.

Form Factor:
Lots of people tell me that they love the feel of their Droid X in their hand. I was someone who didn’t agree with that statement, and I still do. The Thunderbolt just seems to fit perfectly in my hand, and feels right. Minus the fact that I dislike where the unlock button is located, I do like the way the phone just feels, looks and conforms in my hand. I definitely prefer it to my old X. The X has one clear advantage to the Thunderbolt, in my eyes: the slim factor of the phone. If you own a Droid X you know exactly what I am talking about. It is so incredibly thin. Which was such a building point for me from the beginning of when I owned the phone.

One thing that scared me quite a bit when I was playing with the phone in the store, was the weight. I thought that I would dislike the difference completely. But then I realized that the Droid X(5.47) only weighs .76 oz less than the Thunderbolt (6.23 oz). Thankfully that is not a huge difference, and as humans we can't detect that weight difference.

In closing on form factor, I take the Thunderbolt for the beauty of the way it is. I really like how HTC’s phones are all symmetrical with rounded corners and smooth sides. The brick feel of the Droid X always turned me off, it was the hardware inside that I liked so much.

In conclusion:
I am very happy with the purchase of my HTC Thunderbolt, but there were only two reasons why I bought this phone: The chance of locking in grandfather status for 4G unlimited plans and unlocked bootloader. If you have an upgrade and really want to have the chance of locking in, go for it. You will not be disappointed. If you just want to have a phone with full-unlocked bootloader, be happy with your Droid X. You have root and ROMS; there is no need to come to this phone. I see this phone as the last of the single-core phones. Just like how the HTC Eris was the last of the ARM6 processor phones, this phone may be the last Single Core. I do not have 4G up in my area until September at the earliest, (Fargo, ND) but if you will be getting it sometime this year, I would say go for it.

TL;DR – If you want 4G phone, Get it. If you want unlocked bootloader, Get it. If you are waiting for the next big phone that will BLOW your Droid X out of the water – Pass.

Edit: Root Review
If anyone keeps up with Android news, you obviously know that this phone is not like the DRoid X and you can't simply press "ROOT ME" or "Make it Rain" or the likes. You must go into the phone through adb (Android Debug Bridge). In short, what ends up happening is you push 3 exploits to your phone, run one of them, which allows you to have root acces, you then end up flashing two updates to your phone, which turn S-OFF (Security Off, I think, in the bootloader) and give you perm root. This is relatively simple, and I would recommend all users familiarize themselves with adb. The actual hardest part about rooting this phone is getting the correct drivers onto your computer. You cannon download them through the Android SDK, so you must install HTC Sync onto your computer (annoying!). Once you get that started and you are able to use adb, it is just a few quick 10 steps, with lots of flashing. But once you are rooted, HELLO BEAUTIFUL Un-LOCKED bootloader, Long has this nerd missed you! The ability to flash custom kernels is what makes this phone oh so worth it. In the end, rooting this phone is a must, because the newest updated radio will allow the phone to sleep correctly, thus giving you better battery life! HURRAY! and even though the rooting process at first looks hard and a killer, it is great experience.

Fair write-up. I agree with everything except the blur. Have you tried the new GingerBlur? It's amazing, imo, and puts blur right up there with sense, which I love. Enjoy the phone, my brother! :)

See, I used the new Blur, but like I said. I am a fan of ASOP. I will agree that Blur and Sense are pretty close, but I still think that Sense comes ahead, even if just slightly. The ability to actually remove it, with an unlocked bootloader, also plays into considerations.

I will enjoy the phone, I already do! :)

Upvote 0
I really don't think that the Thunderbolt's screen is "more dim" than the X. But maybe my "young" eyes deceive me. I'll do a side by side test shortly.

Edit: Side by side test, I see the LCD backlight much more on the X, which seems to wash the colors out, so it is brighter, but the colors are more vibrant on the Thunderbolt.

Edit 2: Battery hasn't been to horrible, but on the weekends I am in my home all day. Tomorrow during the week will be the true test of the battery. I will report back tomorrow after one day. (My days start at about 6 AM and end at roughly 8PM, lets hope she lasts!)

Upvote 0
I really don't think that the Thunderbolt's screen is "more dim" than the X. But maybe my "young" eyes deceive me. I'll do a side by side test shortly.

Edit: Side by side test, I see the LCD backlight much more on the X, which seems to wash the colors out, so it is brighter, but the colors are more vibrant on the Thunderbolt.

Edit 2: Battery hasn't been to horrible, but on the weekends I am in my home all day. Tomorrow during the week will be the true test of the battery. I will report back tomorrow after one day. (My days start at about 6 AM and end at roughly 8PM, lets hope she lasts!)

Yes, the DX has a MUCH brighter backlight. The Tbolt is very dim in comparison. I first noticed this watching youtube comparison vids of the bolt next to different phones. I've probably seen 40 different Tbolts in person in various stores and spent a good amount of time using it in store - side by side I still prefer the brighter backlit LCD of my DX. And that is the main reason I am waiting for a different phone before I use my upgrade which I have had for 2 months now. That and the fact that early adopting any phone will practically ensure that the bugs aren't worked out yet. I'd rather give a phone a couple months in users hands before I jump on it anymore.

Upvote 0
Also - If I am going with a "more dim" screen with more vibrant colors, I will choose sAmoled every day of the week. My Inc with the Amoled was still beautiful, if not more dim than my DX. Overall I still like a brighter backlight whenever possible. Just my preference. Not a fan of tinted whites.

Upvote 0
Also - If I am going with a "more dim" screen with more vibrant colors, I will choose sAmoled every day of the week. My Inc with the Amoled was still beautiful, if not more dim than my DX. Overall I still like a brighter backlight whenever possible. Just my preference. Not a fan of tinted whites.

I always have my brightness on the lowest setting. Always. So i notice not comparison anyway.

Upvote 0
The Droid X actually has one of the most color accurate screens made. Those vibrant colors are actually oversaturation, and not something I'm generally interested in.

AMOLED screens suffer from the oversaturation and also terrible white balance (bluish tint). Also text looks terrible due to the pentile matrix, and it uses more power, so battery drains quicker.

Haven't looked at the Tbolt, does that use a AMOLED screen? If so that's a deal breaker right there.

Big issue with capacitive buttons for me is the ability to turn phone on when off. I only use the home button to turn phone on. Didn't like my DInc, and my wifes D2 where turning it on you have to use the top button. I guess I could get used to it.

My biggest issue with the Tbolt is that it's not "that" much better. Certainly not enough in my eyes to use an upgrade.

I do love Sense though.

But what I think doesn't matter to you. Get what you like. Enjoy your phone.

Upvote 0
It is not an AMOLED screen. Check spec sheets people! Like I said, I really would only recommend the phone if you REALLY want it. Read the Conclusion and TL;DR. :p

Just a thought "Thats"... but maybe rather than telling people to check the spec sheet it would be better to provide a link to one for reference.

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC ThunderBolt? - Tech Specs
HTC ThunderBolt? at Verizon

All in all I enjoyed your review! While I tend to disagree with certain aspects of the review, the time and effort you put into it is much appreciated.

Reactions: Thats
Upvote 0
very nice comparison. i really have to get into the store to check one of these out. still haven't even seen on in person.

as for the screen talk, the DX probably is the most color accurate screen on a mobile device i have seen, however i would trade for an AMOLED or SLCD over the DX one in a heart beat. i could car less about color accuracy on a phone. i just want it Bright and Vibrant. if we were talking about a TV, give me accuracy, but a phone, Give me vividness.
i still have a while until i can upgrade, so i have no interest in the t-bolt, but i appreciate new technology and love reading about peoples thoughts on the matter. so thank you :) and enjoy the new phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, the DX has a MUCH brighter backlight. The Tbolt is very dim in comparison. I first noticed this watching youtube comparison vids of the bolt next to different phones. I've probably seen 40 different Tbolts in person in various stores and spent a good amount of time using it in store - side by side I still prefer the brighter backlit LCD of my DX. And that is the main reason I am waiting for a different phone before I use my upgrade which I have had for 2 months now. That and the fact that early adopting any phone will practically ensure that the bugs aren't worked out yet. I'd rather give a phone a couple months in users hands before I jump on it anymore.

This is gonna sound dumb (but then, I specialize in dumb questions), but when you speak of the relevant "brightness" of the two phones, have you unchecked the auto brightness control and manually set the things to the same level - so you're comparing apples to apples, and not apples to oranges?

I don't find the Droid X to be brighter at all. I crank my display ALL the way up on my DX as well as my HTC Inspire and find the colors on the Inspire to be more vibrant. Not dimmer or brighter, but more vibrant.

-Mike

Upvote 0
Just a thought "Thats"... but maybe rather than telling people to check the spec sheet it would be better to provide a link to one for reference.

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC ThunderBolt? - Tech Specs
HTC ThunderBolt? at Verizon

All in all I enjoyed your review! While I tend to disagree with certain aspects of the review, the time and effort you put into it is much appreciated.

I think I came across more spiteful in the post that you quoted than I meant to come across as.

I am glad that everyone is enjoying the Review! I hope it helps!

Sidenote: I find it funny that I am in the Droid X forums still WAY more than I am in the Thunderbolt Forums. Shows how we flock to where we enjoy the community.

Upvote 0
The Droid X actually has one of the most color accurate screens made. Those vibrant colors are actually oversaturation, and not something I'm generally interested in.

This is one thing that I HATE about the Thunderbolt. The colors are way off. Very over saturated. I am a photographer and find that if I want to use any of my photos for wallpaper I have to first go in and turn down the saturation by about 30 or more in Picsay to get them to look realistic. With my Droid X and iPhone 4 I don't have to do that. I wish there was some sort of app that would let you turn down the color for everything.
On a side note, I am finding the Thunderbolt's screen harder to see when outside in direct sunlight. Even with brightness cranked up to 100%, it's still harder to see and use than either my X or iPhone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones