• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Weather Widget Vs Weatherbug Elite

majormarkd

Mar 17, 2011
With weatherbug elite free on Amazon app store today I figured i'd download it and give it a shot. I love the detail oriented full page information with the ability to look at week long forecasts, radars, and warnings/alerts.

I still prefer HTC's main page widget with the clock, its just so well done.
So my plan was to have a widget set up on a diff page for quick in-depth detail.

Unfortunately though, I'm noticing a big difference in temperature readings for my location.

HTC says my location is 41 degrees
WB Elite says its 47 degrees
Both after refreshes.

Theyre much closer on other larger cities that i frequent, but still generally off 2-3 degrees. 6-7 degrees though is quite a bit imo.

Anyone else seeing this?

Just FYI about WeatherBug's colored history:

WeatherBug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not advice though, it's up to you what software you choose.

I didn't know this
"In 2004, AWS Convergence Technologies, Inc., the National Weather Service and the Department of Homeland Security entered into a public-private agreement so that the WeatherBug stations could be used by Homeland Security to assess weather conditions in the event of a disaster."

this is not some little shareware guy working from his basement.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately though, I'm noticing a big difference in temperature readings for my location.

HTC says my location is 41 degrees
WB Elite says its 47 degrees
Both after refreshes.

Theyre much closer on other larger cities that i frequent, but still generally off 2-3 degrees. 6-7 degrees though is quite a bit imo.

Anyone else seeing this?

It's not going to know the temperature of exactly where you are because there is no thermometer in your phone. It uses the tracking of the closest weather station to your location. Weatherbug has many stations all over the place so it may be able to give you a more precise reading than other widgets.
That may also explain why the divergence is less in the cities because there are more alternative stations there.

Upvote 0
It's not going to know the temperature of exactly where you are because there is no thermometer in your phone. It uses the tracking of the closest weather station to your location. Weatherbug has many stations all over the place so it may be able to give you a more precise reading than other widgets.
That may also explain why the divergence is less in the cities because there are more alternative stations there.

Makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones