• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"http://antivirusandroid.mobi" real or not?

p4r4d1se

Lurker
Dec 7, 2013
I was using my LG LG-L38C with android 2.3.6 to find directions on the web when this screen came up that reads, "the page at 'http://antivirusandroid.mobi' says: Memory Warning! Your phone has (7) serious errors! Press OK below to start the recovery process..." the back button doesn't work so I cannot use the browser and I don't want to press the "OK" button without knowing what this is. Also my provider is straight talk wireless. Please help.

Hello again p4. I'd be extremely suspicious about anything I could not back out of. That said... I searched the web and these forms for your warning and came up dry. Unless I'm missing something.. I think you have hit a site that is trying to spam you. I may be wrong but I'd pull the power long before I'd click Ok on anything I did not solicit. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I was using my LG LG-L38C with android 2.3.6 to find directions on the web when this screen came up that reads, "the page at 'antivirusandroid . mobi' says: Memory Warning! Your phone has (7) serious errors! Press OK below to start the recovery process..." the back button doesn't work so I cannot use the browser and I don't want to press the "OK" button without knowing what this is. Also my provider is straight talk wireless. Please help.

Great that you did not press the OK button. The message you received is basically asking your permission to install malware on your Android device. If you had you clicked OK, your device would have become infected. Rebooting is the correct procedure to avoid getting infected. Also, it really helps if you report the site to google and to stopbadware (Search for how to report a malware infected site).

The source of this malware appears to be compromised ad servers. A number of legitimate but poorly maintained web sites are linked to these ad servers. Instead of showing you the ads that the webmaster originally thought would be shown, the ad servers have been compromised and now attempt to install malware on your device.

My advice is to NEVER GO BACK to the site where you experienced the problem -- clearly the site's owner is paying no attention to the security of the site, which places its users (you) at great risk of getting a virus.

And DO REPORT THE SITE to google and stopbadware -- that will cause the compromised domain to be found and pulled.

Upvote 0
And only install apps from places you trust (Google Play, Amazon and pretty much nowhere else). and read and understand the permissions that the app is asking for. If you're not happy with them then don't install the app, and do email the developer asking the reason for the permissions. See here for an explanation of Android's permissions: App Permissions Explained - What Do They Really Mean? - AndroidPIT

Reactions: p4r4d1se and Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones