• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hulu Hack: Small Problem with Working Hulu Hack

vshand wrote:
"Finally make Hulu works on SC 2.1 voodoo. Following listed steps.

1) Extract old version flash 10.1 installer apk from the eb01 stock and install it.
2) Extract update script file from the zip file, flash_hulu_installer_v3.signed.
3) Open the update script file and following the steps in the file to cleanup and extract system dir and data dir in the zip file to /system and /data.
4) Reboot and Hulu is back."

So, to clarify, what I think he is meaning is

1) Extract or unzip the stock EB01 froyo and go to "stock_eb01 folder\system\app\" and copy "install_flash_player.apk" and install to your phone
2) Extract/unzip flash_hulu_installer_v3.signed.zip file, and open the folder. Go to flash_hulu_installer_v3.signed\META-INF\com\google\android\ and open "updater-script" with notepad.
3)now your looking at:

mount("BML", "system", "/system");
mount("BML", "data", "/data");

# ---- start making changes here ----

show_progress(0.100000, 10);
ui_print("Remove old files...");
delete_recursive("/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer");
delete_recursive("/data/data/com.android.browser/app_plugins/com.adobe.flashplayer/");
delete("/data/app/com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.adobe.flashplayer.apk");
delete("/system/app/install_flash_player.apk");
delete("/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.adobe.flashplayer.apk@classes.dex");
delete("/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk@classes.dex");

ui_print("Pushing new version of Flash...");
show_progress(0.100000, 5);
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data");
show_progress(1.000000, 0);

ui_print("Set permissions...");
show_progress(0.100000,5);
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system/app");
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system/lib");
set_perm(1000, 1000, 0755, "/data");
set_perm_recursive(1000, 1000, 0755, 0644, "/data/app");
show_progress(1.000000, 0);

unmount("/system");
unmount("/data");

And now I have no idea what he means by "Open the update script file and following the steps in the file to cleanup and extract system dir and data dir in the zip file to /system and /data," But as soon as I do, i'm sure you just make the changes and save the file and voila, everything is fixed.

Or, does he simply mean to look at where the script would normally put the files it updates for flash, and go there on your phone and delete it...? ie, "cleanup"? I dunno, i'm going to play around with it and see if I can decipher this enigma...lol.

***Update: I'm guessing what he meant was to follow what the script would normally do and "remove the old files" at:

("/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer");
("/data/data/com.android.browser/app_plugins/com.adobe.flashplayer/");
("/data/app/com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk");
("/data/app/com.adobe.flashplayer.apk");
("/system/app/install_flash_player.apk");
("/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.adobe.flashplayer.apk@classes.dex");
("/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk@classes.dex");

And then install the new flash files into these directories, "Pushing new version of Flash..."

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data"

So, I really think all that is going on here is he's wiping out the updated version of flash that is already installed on your phone via the new rom you installed (ie, super clean 2.2) and reinstalling the old/untouched version of Flash manually, which is what the flash_hulu_installer_v3.signed.zip does in CWM in non voodoo versions, and would have done if the CWM for Voodoo would work with it.

That makes a lot of sense, but to me, the way Vshand wrote it was extremely confusing. So i'm going to see if I can get this to work and if so, I'll come back and write a complete and simplified step by step for getting hulu working with voodoo versions of superclean.

So if anyone knows what he means, please, by all means, let me/us know and get me my goddamn HULU BACK!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Those are just absolutely simple steps, like a "for dummies guide." Those are not instructions on how to fix anything, so if you are just doing those steps over and over again, i certainly hope you're not expecting different results.

No of course im not doing them over and over. I meant i have tried multiple ways of installing this from other posters who have been trying things.

Upvote 0
Okay. I have full flash on every site i have checked, I can watch hulu i can watch you tube, i can go to my personal site that has flash and look at any picture gallery and choose them to view. I went to flash sites from other countries. It all works!

But i uninstalled flash from the market place. I did run the flash file from the hulu zip and it said it was updated. But what and where did it update to? Why is everything working with the flash 10.1 from the market place uninstalled?

Upvote 0
okay, finally got everything working on voodoo superclean 2.2. Basically, my big post above was right...Just need to clear out everything old, and then transfer everything manually instead of the script doing it for you, cause the script is based on an RFS formatted phone. If anyone wants me to do a very simple how to guide, let me know, and I'll get it on here asap.

But, in conclusion, I have Hulu working through the Hulu modded apk. Looks and sounds great. hulu.com doesn't work, and never has for me, so I have no idea what ppl are talking about when they talk about watching hulu.com in full screen through their browsers all the time... But, this works great for me and what I need.

Upvote 0
tgulcgh22, I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying. You used three key words in the first sentence, which confused me. Format, convert, and install.

Does it take several minutes to load/boot up after you disable the lagfix? Does it take a long time?

I don't think voodoo is what's preventing the install of Hulu, but rather the script included in the Hulu mod, cause it's calling for mounting the disk in what looks like RFS format. So it's trying to delete/install files that are not in the same location anymore.

Note: I think you might be associating the term "format" with deleting your files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones