• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hype around cyanogen?

the option to install .tar files like adamz kernals, and when restoring a nandroid back up, select only certain parts, and also naming nandroid backups.

If you install through rom manager there are plenty of install options. Same with naming nandroid backups can be done through rom manager. Would be nice to be able to just restore part of a backup though

Upvote 0
If you're not happy with the recovery...you should have tried it a few weeks ago! It has come a LONG way in a very short time. Being able to format the system partition without using ADB is a nice addition.

what is the need for formatting the system partition? just curious cause i am running Cyanogen and i did not need to do that.

Upvote 0
Actually I did mention that haha, it's all good though. That is IMO the best thing about Cyanogen ROM's. Other developers are updating every 2 or 3 days with little to no difference where as Cyanogen updates every 2 or 3 days because he has added in any bug fixes or tweaks found in the AOSP. If anyone here runs Linux on there PC then you can compare it to the update manager and how often it updates. That is what Cyanogen does for us.

Quite right, my bad. :cool:

If only I could su -c 'yum update' from a terminal. Hmm, I'd love to see a mobile fedora fork.

Upvote 0
what is the need for formatting the system partition? just curious cause i am running Cyanogen and i did not need to do that.

sets up the sd card for apps2sd

I haven't played with the apps2sd yet...no immediate need for me, but I am REALLY glad it's there!

I have used the format system option and I recommend formatting the system anytime you are switching to a new ROM. There are so many files loaded in the system partition in various ROMs that are different/unique. I had been utilizing it with SPRecovery via ADB for awhile now. It has really helped with minimizing FC's and certain features that you may find broken when moving to a new ROM.

TIP: I have seen so many people posting problems that I'm sure would not have been problems if they utilized some method of formatting the system partition prior to flashing the rom they are on.

2nd TIP: MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A FAILSAFE BACKUP AVAILABLE WHEN YOU UTILIZE THE FORMAT FEATURE...better to be safe...you are wiping system data, not just your own.

Upvote 0
Cyanogen is all hype. There is absolutely nothing special about it, and I definitely wouldn't waste my time flashing it.

:D

For what it's worth... and I've told a few people this via PM now... Ever since ROMs first started popping up everywhere, I've been flashing new ROMs at least twice a day. More often than not, it was closer to four times a day. I finally bit the bullet about two weeks ago and flashed to Cyanogen. Ever since then, the only time I touch the ROM is when an updated version of Cyanogen comes out.

It's all the little things that leave me hooked... a reboot option, 360 degree auto-rotate, the ability to update rather than flash and start over when new releases come out, The most stable rom by far that I have used, Apps2SD which I haven't played with yet... but it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I have something new to try when I run out of other new things to discover with this ROM.

Just because a huge group of people are jumping on the bandwagon doesn't mean there's nothing but hype surrounding something. Sometimes the attention is warranted. This, IMO, would be one of those times. But to each their own... I don't see much point in trying to convince someone I don't know to do something that wouldn't affect me. All I can say is that I'm using Cyanogen and I'll never look back.

Damn you! It's 3am here and now I want to try this ROM!
Actually I think that the features will be worth it. My true test is the benchmarks. If those are way off, I am not in. BB has been great to me so far.

Upvote 0
Wow, I just flashed Cyanogen. I was planning on dedicating an hour or two to getting around this, but I downloaded ROM Manager, flashed ClockworkMod in about a second (beats having to do "flash_image /sdcard/clockworkmod.img" in the terminal), and then the program downloaded Cyanogen for me and flashed it! I'm amazed at how easy the procedure was.

Now as to what I think of the ROM... first boot actually feels REALLY laggy. I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, though. This ROM is far too different from all the others to let my first impression affect my decision!

Upvote 0
the first boot isnt laggy it just takes awhile because its loading all the new files. that is the way update.zips usually work compared to nandroids. a 5 minute first boot is normal

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oh, alright. I have to say though, using it now, it feels a lot like Bugless Beast. I don't see much that's really different except that ROM Manager makes updating so much easier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones