• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I can't access recovery mode - can't update to 4.0.4

This morning when I saw that 4.0.4 started going out, I downloaded it and wanted to install but I didn't have enough time so I decided to do it when I get back home. I can't, when I hold volume up + power and select recovery I get
- Google logo
- Android with something blue in it that lasts no more than half a second
- black screen with touch buttons on the bottom (they're on)
- Google logo, boot up - PIN and home screen

It's I9023, rooted with 4.0.3 official. I remember that somewhere I read that ROM Manager causes this so I deleted it but it's still same.

:( What do I do?

This morning when I saw that 4.0.4 started going out, I downloaded it and wanted to install but I didn't have enough time so I decided to do it when I get back home. I can't, when I hold volume up + power and select recovery I get
- Google logo
- Android with something blue in it that lasts no more than half a second
- black screen with touch buttons on the bottom (they're on)
- Google logo, boot up - PIN and home screen

It's I9023, rooted with 4.0.3 official. I remember that somewhere I read that ROM Manager causes this so I deleted it but it's still same.

:( What do I do?

I have the same problem, still 4.0.3. When will nexus s update to 4.0.4 autimatically?

Upvote 0
Lol sorry guys, I didn't know there were more of you. I found out this could work by Googling and my own creativity (I'm the kind of person that restarts and hopes it will work)
- Copy the downloaded 18MB update file and rename it to update.zip, copy it to your device (you already did that)
- Delete all backups in ROM manager (it's under Manage and Restore Backups)
- Uninstall ROM manager and install it from Play store again
- Flash ClockworkMod recovery in ROM manager
- Backup current ROM (it's gonna take a while, I don't even know why I did this, I guess my paranoia)
- Once Android is up again, go to ROM Manager and tap the second option (Reboot into Recovery). It should boot into recovery, now just select apply update.zip

I have no idea how this works, all I did was reading and reading, and decided to try this out. As I said, I'm the kind of person that hopes restart and rewipe will do it, and this time it did. I have 4.0.4 now.

I hope it works for you, I know this is pretty much unprofessional, BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.
Please let me know, and good luck, and sorry for not posting this, I didn't know there were more of you. ;) :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones