• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I don't know what to do now with my upgrade. Help please?

@mitchedo, Thanks. Your response and experience helps me to get closer to a decision.

To answer your question, I hate my Epic because it's never really worked well. The screen is killer. I thought I'd like the physical keyboard but I'm finding that I use it very rarely. I'm on my second Epic. The first one stopped responding to touch after 6 months of owning it. The screen started to flicker uncontrollably. This was after the first Froyo OTA update messed up my phone. Before the update entering text into fields on a browser was bad but after the update it was absolutely painful. It's still not great on my second Epic. On my second Epic the micro usb port is messed up. It became loose. Now Sprint won't do anything for me. I'm done with the shoddy hardware and software from Samsung. This Epic feels cheap and flimsy.

@whatsitsname, I wasn't upset. It's just that the responses I got had nothing to do with my questions. And where did you see that the etf is going up to $350? That would suck.

After my awful experience with the Touch Pro, I ruled out any phone with a physical keyboard, as that means moving parts, and that means breakdowns. I do miss the 5-row keyboard a bit, but the screen keyboard on the MoPho is fine and easier on my hands.

ETF going to $350? Well, if they change the rules on me again in the middle of my contract, I just may bail for Verizon during the 30-day rejection window. Last time, they removed the corporate discount I was getting on my whole bill and applied it only to the primary line. My bill went up a few bucks, and I looked long and hard at Verizon, but Big Red was still way more expensive. ...but that was before the $10/month "smart phone fee". I suspect Sprint would still be the better deal even now. ...but if the monthly difference isn't too much, Verizon has a far wider coverage area, which is important out here in the West.

Upvote 0
I very much appreciated the feedback to my request about getting the Photon, so thought it appropriate to pass it on.

Picked my Photon yesterday morning at BB. Spent a fair amount of time loading apps and customizing it to my look. Have not had one problem with it. Everything works as it should. Compared to my rooted Hero, this thing just flies! Very happy with my purchase decision.

Upvote 0
I very much appreciated the feedback to my request about getting the Photon, so thought it appropriate to pass it on.

Picked my Photon yesterday morning at BB. Spent a fair amount of time loading apps and customizing it to my look. Have not had one problem with it. Everything works as it should. Compared to my rooted Hero, this thing just flies! Very happy with my purchase decision.

Congrats on the MoPho purchase!

Upvote 0
I'm one who has all the Photon accessories and let me tell you, each day I use them, I feel like a lil kid in a candy store. One would think I've never owned a car dock in my life for as giddy as I am over the thing. Something about that dock just breathes new life into the entire ride. People who pull up next to me look at me like they wish they were having whatever it is I'm having. :)

The HD dock w/BT KB is another plus unto itself. I opted for the Moto BT KB because #1) I'm OCD like that...Moto phone/Moto KB. #2) It has every phone feature on it as opposed to using any old BT KB you have lying around.
Don't get me started on how much faster I text- I've been asked...no...told to slow down.
I purchased my KB at Best Buy for $35. Sprint wants $70 which I would have gladly paid if Best Buy were out of them.

I've only connected it to my TV once. My setup doesn't allow me to be close enough to it when using the phone portion of it so its hard to hear me talking unless I shout.

Also, I haven't played RipTide yet on the big screen cause I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Wiimote to work on it. Youtube only shows you the game in action- not the setup.

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
I too am keeping my photon, today was my last day to return the phone, so I went to sprint, was going to exchahnge for the evo 3d, so as I am in sprint I am looking at the evo 3d, and the rep comes up to me, so I tell him I am on my last day, and he says to me " what do you use your phone for mainly?" I told him gaming and texting mostly, he then says "stick with the photon 4g", according to him, he says its faster, and gaming on the E3d is a little laggy. So... He got me, he convinced me to keep it, only issue is the loose battery cover, he said if you have insurance go to a sprint repair center and they will replace it because I do have insurance. Whats funny to me is that he was recommending the photon, yet they don't support it nearly as much as the evo 3d, meaning they dont even have screen protectors for it yet. I am happy with the photon pretty much, so will stick with it for now

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
Lol, OMG!!! My Epic is such a cheap piece of crap! My physical keyboard was stuck. My screen was blank. I tried to open the physical keyboard so I could close it. One of the damn keys popped off!!! Lol

So I decided to go to BB to see if they could move my upgrade up one day. The BB Mobile manager called Sprint and convinced them to allow me to upgrade to the Photon today. Well, she searched the store and there were no Photons in stock! lol! So she let me know that they could have one shipped to me for free by Fedex or UPS. Unfortunately I don't live in a place were anyone is home to receive packages. That would mean I'd have to pick up the package at Oakland International Airport. I didn't like that option. So the manager set it up so that she will pick up a Photon at another BB on her way in to bring it to the store that is most convenient to me. I'm amazed at this level of service.

If I can manage to get to BB tomorrow, I'll be joining you MoPhos tomorrow. Lol!!!

By the way. BB's price of $99 for the MoPho changes this weekend.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Truth is if everyone who bought a photon and had no issues wrote in here it would dwarf the complaints. We are the fringe and typically the problem resolution fringe at that. I've had my stock photon for 10 days now and have truly had ZERO issues as described in numerous posts. Try the phone for a week. If you don't like it exchange or return and wait for something else. I came from a og evo and I love the photon. The battery life alone is incredibly impressive not to mention all the other hardware. Google owning moto can only mean first in line treatment with regards to updates. I'm happy...for a year at least...;)

So does your headphone controls work? End call button? No blue in the indoor on your camera ? What happens

Upvote 0
Lol, OMG!!! My Epic is such a cheap piece of crap! My physical keyboard was stuck. My screen was blank. I tried to open the physical keyboard so I could close it. One of the damn keys popped off!!! Lol

So I decided to go to BB to see if they could move my upgrade up one day. The BB Mobile manager called Sprint and convinced them to allow me to upgrade to the Photon today. Well, she searched the store and there were no Photons in stock! lol! So she let me know that they could have one shipped to me for free by Fedex or UPS. Unfortunately I don't live in a place were anyone is home to receive packages. That would mean I'd have to pick up the package at Oakland International Airport. I didn't like that option. So the manager set it up so that she will pick up a Photon at another BB on her way in to bring it to the store that is most convenient to me. I'm amazed at this level of service.

If I can manage to get to BB tomorrow, I'll be joining you MoPhos tomorrow. Lol!!!

By the way. BB's price of $99 for the MoPho changes this weekend.

It changes to $49? :):eek:

If that's true I'll just march in and have them honor the new price. Lol! :)

Yup! Me too! I'm a Silver Rewards Zone member, so my return period is 45 days. If the price drops down to $49, I'll be SO happy!

BTW, where did the $49 come from?

Upvote 0
Just throwing it out there as a joke since he left the statement wide open out there that price is gonna change from $99. Change up down left right? Who knows.

That's actually a valid point. I'm hoping for down because it'd save me more money (even though I'd have loved to get the additional points), but I guess we'll see Sunday (isn't that the day that Best Buy normally applies any new changes?).

Nontheless, I was already happy at $179. $99, so soon after launch was a great surprise. $49 would be an absolute steal IMO!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones