• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Don't WANT a Bigger Tablet! BUT...

barkway

Dec 19, 2010
I like the size of my 7inch Galaxy tablet. I don't want a 10inch tablet (too big) but now....

I've read on several forums that Google's license for the new OS stipulates that it is aseparate license....meaning those of us with the 7inch tablet will not be allowed to upgrade to the new OS! Most sites, developers, apps are being created for the new 10inch tablet with the new OS. For instance, here in the US, you can get CNN streaming live on your tablet if you have OS 3.0 or higher. The 7inch tablet has Froyo (2.2) so we are just out of luck.

I think it's pretty stinky to have made people pay $500 and up for a tablet that was, first, jury-rigged to block voice services so you need BOTH a cell phone and a tablet SIM and contract (instead of both being available via the tablet), and, now, a unit that is not upgradable to the latest OS virtually turning it into just another portable game player for the kids because everyone is developing stuff for the new OS! I'm sorry I bought this 7inch tablet and I'm sure not going to reward Samsung or Gooogle by going out and buying another one! I'm tired of this game they play charging top dollar for hardware only to have it become obsolete months later and requiring you to (over)pay again for more hardware.

Why can't those of us who prefer the smaller sized tablet get all the bells and whistles those purchasing the 10inch will have available to them?!

Can you post a link to where you read this? I've got an HTC Flyer that they said would be upgraded to HC eventually , although I bought it for what it can do now.

I like the size of my 7inch Galaxy tablet. I don't want a 10inch tablet (too big) but now....

I've read on several forums that Google's license for the new OS stipulates that it is aseparate license....meaning those of us with the 7inch tablet will not be allowed to upgrade to the new OS! Most sites, developers, apps are being created for the new 10inch tablet with the new OS. For instance, here in the US, you can get CNN streaming live on your tablet if you have OS 3.0 or higher. The 7inch tablet has Froyo (2.2) so we are just out of luck.

I think it's pretty stinky to have made people pay $500 and up for a tablet that was, first, jury-rigged to block voice services so you need BOTH a cell phone and a tablet SIM and contract (instead of both being available via the tablet), and, now, a unit that is not upgradable to the latest OS virtually turning it into just another portable game player for the kids because everyone is developing stuff for the new OS! I'm sorry I bought this 7inch tablet and I'm sure not going to reward Samsung or Gooogle by going out and buying another one! I'm tired of this game they play charging top dollar for hardware only to have it become obsolete months later and requiring you to (over)pay again for more hardware.

Why can't those of us who prefer the smaller sized tablet get all the bells and whistles those purchasing the 10inch will have available to them?!

Upvote 0

I prefer the 7" tab as well. It is a good balance between portability and screen size.

10" is better for video, but is way too big for reading, and quite unportable to be used as a cellphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones