• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i hate fitting bl**dy screen protectors!!!!! :( :(

I don't see a screen protector protecting any better than GG2 already does (especially if you don't do anything risky like put your keys on the screen). I do, however, see screen protectors really make the screen filmy, dull, bubbly, ugly.

They may have had their purpose with heavily-used (i.e. corporate) resistive screens with a stylus, but I can't see their purpose today.

I agree,but I think some people who have the phablet-sized phones (or tablets) still like to use screen protectors not so much for scratch resistance,but,for a rigidity effect,to perhaps guard against breakage,w/the belief that the glass is weaker on a phablet-sized phone due to the increased surface area.

Even so,if you have BEST BUY'S insurance(as I do),I still probably wouldn't use a screen protector & use the insurance to replace the screen/phone in the event of breakage.

With that said,I'm glad GORILLA GLASS (II) exists & will never go back to a screen protector.

Upvote 0
I think screen glass technology has just gotten more scratch resistant. A little over a year an a half ago my wife and I bought a pair of Samsung Galaxy Indulges. I don't know what the display is made of but I am pretty sure it is not Gorilla Glass. Anyway while we don't abuse our phones we don't go out of our way to protect them either. We've kept them in pockets and purses with keys and other items (I generally carry a screwdriver and Leatherman in mine), have probably dropped them on every surface available, and oh yeah let kids handle them. We recently retired these phones. The battery covers are cracked, the paint is worn and chipped off in places but the screens are pristine.

We now have a pair of S3's for about 2 months - no screen protector and no scratches.

For those sharing stories about damaged screen protectors. All that shows is the protector took damage that the actual screen might or might not have taken.

Anyway using a screen protector is a personal choice - if makes you feel better, go for it. I've never gotten one on without air bubbles and at this point just do not think it is worth the hassle.

Upvote 0
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

just tried to fit the 2nd belkin one (after first one came off) - virtually impossible to get a nice bubble free fit .....and then right at the end, the '2' tag on the protector wouldnt come off - so bleedin wrecked all my effort!

#@!!@# :( :(

yes this is just a rant - sorry :D

I was told a pro-tip which is meant to work wonders. Apparently, rolling a lint roller over your screen picks up all those tiny fragments which a tiny cloth probably contributes to. I have yet to try this as I my latest effort went on rather well and I'm reluctant to replace! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones