• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I hate Instagram so much.

HaTrEd360

Android Expert
Aug 18, 2012
Soo I had my first brick. (Just in time that someone else did too.) I have never had any problems with my phone before. But the one time I decide to finally install Instagram, and upload a photo, it crashes my phone. It froze completely. Pulling the charger out didn't even turn off the charging LED. So I pull battery. Turn on. Half hour later? Still on the 3D boot animation from BluROM r109.

I grabbed a fresh boot logcat. No file. I only saw one error which was regarding the phone having issues loading a package in the package monitor. And what was it? Instagram.

I'm going to warn you guys, I would NEVER use that phone destroying app. I'd rather use ROM Manager on an unsupported phone then use Instagram ever again. I submitted a one star review, emailed the developer, and for the hell of it I reported it. LOL.

I had NO recent backups. Latest was the 7th of May. So yeah I lost quite a few new apps.

I do have a question tho! For anyone reading. (Hopefully a guide!)
Is there a way to create a flash able zip of all my data and apps coming from a nandroid advanced backup of data? When couldn't boot anymore I backed up via advanced backup data so I'd still have my apps. I used Zarchiver to basically delete Instagram in data/app and the corresponding data for it in data/data and then tried to restore that via 4ext latest version, and it gave me a md5 mismatch but restored anyways. (Knew that would happen anyways) and it still wouldn't boot.

Does anyone have an idea of what exactly happened? Because it's actually happened twice now on 2 different phones. the last one was recoverable with a fix permissions tho. This time on the Evo it did not work tho sadly.

So is there a way to just flash the apps of my choice and there data from a nandroid advanced data backup?

Are you not using Titanium Backup or something similar? I set my TiBu to backup new apps and data while I'm sleeping. I try to nandroid every 2 or 3 days but sometimes I forget. But nandroid or not, my apps and data are only as old as the wee hours of the morning.

There is an app called app2zip that is supposed to allow you to make flashable zips of your apps and data. It works for the apps, but not the data. But Titanium Backup now has that feature. It works but I never do it. I just flash titanium after a rom flash and then just restore from there.

Not sure why or how instagram could do that much damage. Maybe a developer will have an answer on that??

Upvote 0
I do too but BluROM hasn't been updated in a while so I haven't needed to make a nandroid. I did absolutely nothing to the system. I noticed in the .android_secure.vfat.tar archive tho located in the advanced restore folder had only 6 or 7 .asec files and one of them was Instagram. I believe I found the culprit.

Not gonna bother restoring now tho. I already dug through all of my data in that advanced backup and picked out the apk's I needed.

I have a game issue tho... I play Diner Dash 2 (found elsewhere as its not in the market wtf?) And that was backed up in the advanced backup. BUT. I can't seem to find the data for it. Using Nandroid Browser all I found was a preferences xml for it. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah its weird but after more research it was definitely the culprit. It only happened when uploading a photo and it's right after hitting the Done button after choosing the effects you want on it. Then it froze and wouldn't boot back up. Basically it corrupted my the package manager from working properly so the phone couldn't load ANYTHING that was installed. Not even the system. It was there, it just wasn't able to load. That's what I believe happened based off of research.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones