• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate to bring nagativity into the boards but...

I have to admit, based on the criteria they chose, the Iphone should have won that comparison. The EVO still does not have a app that compares to facetime, I would consider that a tie though. Evo, more capable, Iphone better software.

But the Iphone is more portable, has better battery life, records better (with editing), has a better looking (albeit smaller) screen and comes with more memory. I still think the EVO takes better pictures from what I've seen though so the camera could have been a tie.

Based on that criteria it will be hard to beat the Iphone if the results are not weighted. Obviously a huge weight should go to connectivity especially given the problems with ATT and Apple. And that's just regular connection over 3g. You really need extra categories for 4g and Wirelss hotspot because the Iphone doesn't even have them AT ALL. Then there is Android vs IOS prison. And HDMI.

You can always choose criteria that will make a winner out of what you want it too. This test was weighted to the Iphone, or maybe this is what they use for all their tests and it fit the Iphone better and negated the advantages of the EVO.

Upvote 0
You can pretty much disregard these kinds of comparisons when they divide up their tests into idiotic categories. Storage and videoconferencing are minor details, one can even be changed with $20 dollars for the evo. Having a category for portability makes no sense, as the one with the best portability is the one with the fewest features. Also, the writer states that all three phones have a 1Ghz processor, but i don't think the A4 gets there does it?

Upvote 0
I have to admit, based on the criteria they chose, the Iphone should have won that comparison. The EVO still does not have a app that compares to facetime, I would consider that a tie though. Evo, more capable, Iphone better software.

But the Iphone is more portable, has better battery life, records better (with editing), has a better looking (albeit smaller) screen and comes with more memory. I still think the EVO takes better pictures from what I've seen though so the camera could have been a tie.

I'm sorry but these are pretty crappy comparisons in my opinion...I have no choice but to give my opinion:

iPhone is "more portable"? Lol...um...what?! The Evo is .3 inches taller, .2 inches wider. Please...

Do you own both phones? Do you know for a fact that iPhone has better battery life?

I say Evo has a "better" screen. I'll take screen size any day over a tiny tiny difference in color that we would never notice unless closely examining the phones side by side.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone's picture quality is much better than the Evo's...

Upvote 0
You can pretty much disregard these kinds of comparisons when they divide up their tests into idiotic categories. Storage and videoconferencing are minor details, one can even be changed with $20 dollars for the evo. Having a category for portability makes no sense, as the one with the best portability is the one with the fewest features. Also, the writer states that all three phones have a 1Ghz processor, but i don't think the A4 gets there does it?

I agree.

And I think the A4 does get there.

Upvote 0

How is storage a minor detail? Storage is HUGE!! Especially with the media capabilites of these phones. Movies, Music, Recorded Video, Apps, Contacts, Emails, MMS, SMS. And we aren't talking about low def video or VGA size vids either. These files are big!!!

And you misunderstood portability.

I'm sorry but these are pretty crappy comparisons in my opinion...I have no choice but to give my opinion:

iPhone is "more portable"? Lol...um...what?! The Evo is .3 inches taller, .2 inches wider. Please...

Do you own both phones? Do you know for a fact that iPhone has better battery life?

I say Evo has a "better" screen. I'll take screen size any day over a tiny tiny difference in color that we would never notice unless closely examining the phones side by side.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone's picture quality is much better than the Evo's...

Denial....... If you think the EVO has better battery life I'm not going to argue with you.

I agree that portability is a useless category, however, for people with small hands, the size of the EVO may be an issue. SO I guess for the most basic of nonsense, the Iphone is a better more compact fit (pants pockets etc.)

You obviously have not seen the Iphone screen in person next to the EVO. The Iphone screen is clearly a better screen. Better enough to justify the small size of it, and boring customization? IMO no, but for basic reviews I doubt that gets factored in.

I've seen at least a couple of reviews that said the EVO took better pictures but far worse video, and I agree from what I've seen.

Upvote 0
I'll admit to anyone that the evo 4g is the best phone on paper(not including the international version of the galaxy s). The evo is the only phone to have 4g and a ffc. But you have to admit, with it being the largest phone out there(i think...up until the dell streak is released), it is an outlier, making the size most likely a negative. Also, battery life is a major part of a phone and has to count as a negative. I don't mind the reviewer saying the ip4 was the best, but IMO the international samsung galaxy s is the best phone out(or atleast it will be when they fix the lag and gps issues). It's hard to say which android phone is best. They all offer something different fulfilling different people's need which is what makes them such good phones.

Here's what i think when comparing the captivate, ip4, and evo 4g

Display: Disagree. Samsung's super amoled is the best screen out there. The reviewer should have at least made this a tie. I've seen the retina display, and compared the captivate, ip4 and my old droid inc side by side. Overall the galaxy s is not only larger but the colors are better. The only area the ip4 wins over the galaxy s is in resolution. The only area the evo would win is...size. For comparison, my droid inc in sunlight with full brightness is comparable to my samsung captivate in sunlight on lowest brightness. Also, while the galaxy s can reflect a direct light, it reflects much less ambient light like from walls and such. You can only see pixels on the smallest of text.

Connectivity: Agreed, evo wins.

Rear Camera
: Reviewer was right, from what I've seen, ip4 does have the best camera

Videoconferencing
: maybe should have at least been a tie between ip4 and evo 4g but that might be the android fanboy in me talking.

Battery Life
: Agreed, tie between ip4 and captivate

Portability: Ip4 and captivate could be a tie. Yes the captivate's screen is larger, but hardware speaking the ip4 packs in that ffc, a dependable gps, and a flash (not to mention better quality)camera into the package so it levels out.

Speed: Ip4 could have been a winner. Considering raw power for games and such, the captivate and ip4 would tie. But ask anyone who uses a galaxy s phone and most of them(who are tech savvy enough to recognize it) will tell you that it suffers from horrible lag issues. Also, the ip4 user interface is faster than android os interface anyway(right now at least). This may not be relevant because since the android os offers more customization, the slower interface is forgivable. iOS is just buttery smooth, you have to admit.

Storage: Agreed, captivate wins.

Overall winner: This reminds me of the google chrome, firefox 4 debate. Chrome is superfast and easy to use out of the box. But firefox offers some customization that many people aren't winning to give up. Overall speaking tho I'm not mad for saying the ip4 was best.

This is coming from a samsung captivate owner. I owned the droid incredible for two months and now I am using the samsung captivate. I loved the droid incredible and verizon, I only switched because I was getting off a family plan and could go to any carrier i wanted. At&t happens to have good coverage where I live so I said what the heck. I was willing to give up the camera flash and sense ui for the larger, better screen and touch wiz interface. GPS is weaker than my droid inc was, but it still locks on. There is lag with my galaxy s sometimes tho. I'm just hoping there is an update with froyo that fixes these issues.

100th post!

Upvote 0
I'm first to admit that based on the criteria used, the IP4 should have won that comparison, but it is not a better phone than the EVO. To be a good phone you have to actually be able to talk on it.

IP4 antenna+ATT = FAIL.

A bigger screen is NOT a negative, are you serious? Then why are ALL phones going up in screen size.

I'll admit to anyone that the evo 4g is the best phone on paper(not including the international version of the galaxy s). The evo is the only phone to have 4g and a ffc. But you have to admit, with it being the largest phone out there(i think...up until the dell streak is released), it is an outlier, making the size most likely a negative. Also, battery life is a major part of a phone and has to count as a negative. I don't mind the reviewer saying the ip4 was the best, but IMO the international samsung galaxy s is the best phone out(or atleast it will be when they fix the lag and gps issues). It's hard to say which android phone is best. They all offer something different fulfilling different people's need which is what makes them such good phones.

Here's what i think when comparing the captivate, ip4, and evo 4g

Display: Disagree. Samsung's super amoled is the best screen out there. The reviewer should have at least made this a tie. I've seen the retina display, and compared the captivate, ip4 and my old droid inc side by side. Overall the galaxy s is not only larger but the colors are better. The only area the ip4 wins over the galaxy s is in resolution.

Connectivity: Agreed, evo wins.

Rear Camera
: Reviewer was right, from what I've seen, ip4 does have the best camera

Videoconferencing
: maybe should have at least been a tie between ip4 and evo 4g but that might be the android fanboy in me talking.

Battery Life
: Agreed, tie between ip4 and captivate

Portability: Ip4 and captivate could be a tie. Yes the captivate's screen is larger, but hardware speaking the ip4 packs in that ffc, a dependable gps, and a flash (not to mention better quality)camera into the package so it levels out.

Speed: Ip4 could have been a winner. Considering raw power for games and such, the captivate and ip4 would tie. But ask anyone who uses a galaxy s phone and most of them(who are tech savvy enough to recognize it) will tell you that it suffers from horrible lag issues. Also, the ip4 user interface is faster than android os interface anyway(right now at least). This may not be relevant because since the android os offers more customization, the slower interface is forgivable. iOS is just buttery smooth, you have to admit.

Storage: Agreed, captivate wins.

Overall winner: This reminds me of the google chrome, firefox 4 debate. Chrome is superfast and easy to use out of the box. But firefox offers some customization that many people aren't winning to give up. Overall speaking tho I'm not mad for saying the ip4 was best.

This is coming from a samsung captivate owner. I owned the droid incredible for two months and now I am using the samsung captivate. I loved the droid incredible and verizon, I only switched because I was getting off a family plan and could go to any carrier i wanted. I was willing to give up the camera flash and sense ui for the larger, better screen and touch wiz interface. GPS is weaker than my droid inc was, but it still locks on. There is lag with my galaxy s sometimes tho. I'm just hoping there is an update with froyo that fixes these issues.

Upvote 0
It's funny how in the front-camera department the iPhone wins because you don't need to login into a separate app for it. On the Evo, you can videochat with people who are on the computer or other smart phones while connected to the 3G/4G connection, but on the iPhone, you're limited to videochatting with other iPhone users on a WiFi connection. To me, that seems like a much larger advantage to the Evo that makes up for the small hassle of logging into Fring. Whoever wrote this article is a moron.
you can use fring on the ip4 also.

Upvote 0
A bigger screen is NOT a negative, are you serious? Then why are ALL phones going up in screen size.
I didn't say it's definitely a negative. I said it's an outlier so it's more likely to be a negative based on most people's preferences. All of this is just preference, I'm just trying to weigh out what most people would prefer. With the galaxy s being on the larger side but not as huge as the evo, droid x, or dell streak. And having the super amoled, I would think it is in a sweet spot of size and vibrancy.

Upvote 0
I doubt it. There are a number of 4"+ screens out there and flagship phones from major carriers. I think they have done their research. A larger screen is not a negative to the majority especially when it's still easily accessible to average size hands.

The Droid X seems to have more complaints because of it's height, but even then, those are few and far between.

You can rest assured that if larger screens were negative, there would not be a trend towards these larger ones. The Galaxy S and Epic both with 4inches plus will make ALL of the top smart phones other than the Iphone over 4 inches in screen size.

EVO
Droid
Galaxy
Epic

These are the phones that Android/Google will use to topple the Iphone hierarchy for good. The next generation will not be getting smaller. That's for sure. Want to bet the next generation Iphone will have a bigger screen? I bet 4 inches.

Upvote 0
The best part about that review is where the EVO wins on connectivity....Maybe I missed something here but i thought the main purpose of these devices was...Communication.

Well at least I'll be able to call, text, and video conference people and tell them how much I love my phone....Well as long as the person I'm calling isn't using an iPhone.... :)

Upvote 0
IP4 vidchat is meant for only iP4 users. In essence, only the iPhanclub can talk to each other. Who cares?

Everything else in the comparison was slanted. I don't care about that either.

I never thought Evo would sell millions like the iPhone. Neither will any other phone. And for all the greatness people are proclaiming for Samsungs before they're even widely available, what about the versions that are? They're not doing so hot, are they?

The really sad news is all the jabs at HTC Evo might start to have a negative impact on new phone development. HTC took a bold step with Evo. There's nothing really out there like it, and it's been panned for its size???? Just this type of group-speak and simple-mind thinking that dampens innovation.

What needs to happen is someone should review these "review experts." Though I don't agree with Consumer Reports, I trust that they aren't influenced by companies they review because CR buys the products it tests (not provided by the companies) and posts info that generally stands up to 3rd party review. We need more of this same approach from these review sites and experts.

Reactions: Scrodus
Upvote 0
Yes att and yahoo are in bed together. And why would anyone expect yahoo to be a fan of anything that has ties to google. Google and yahoo are in direct competition, and google is with the android bandwagon, so of course there is bias in play here. Keep things in perspective and dont sweat a little NAGative publicity from the other camp. Would we expect google to write a glowing article about the iphone? I for one am happy with my evo and if others dont like it, and want to spend more money, and want less options, then im fine with them choosing to do so.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
But a few things no one wants to point out:
1. If your a power user, you can carry a spare battery and in about 2 minutes change it out and be up and running. "Can't do that with a IP4"
2. In about a year or so when the battery starts losing storage I can just replace it, on a IP4 you have to find the nearest Apple store and have them do it, well actually they will probably just swap it with a refurb'd unit and transfer your data, and of course if you don't have Apple Care, it will probably cost you about $100.
3. With the IP4 you have to chose a 16gig or a 32gig phone, no changes or upgrading later. So if you bought a 16gig for cost reasons, your stuck with it, with the EVO you can upgrade at your choice.
4. As far as video goes, one thing I pretty sure of with all the developers out there is the fps will get better, but in the mean time, seriously I didn't buy my phone for HD video's, yes I do enjoy it while sitting in a terminal and watching an occasional movie but it's plenty fine and with the larger display a heck of a lot easier on the eyes then the best smaller screen out there.
5. Applications, all in all there are more free apps out there for the Android market then there are for the IP4, and more being developed each and every day because the OS is open market.
6. Let's face it, each and every day there seems to be a new app to fix a lot of the little quirks of the EVO and other Androids, and that's one up on the Apple products that pretty much are dependant on the Big Office as to whether or not it's needed or of any value to them, not the user.

I just keep noticing everyone including reporters want to just go with just the fluff items and not the overall package of a item. If your sold on the beauty of the display of the IP4 and that's the selling thing for you, then don't complain that it's not as fast or can't do as much as Brand X. No matter how incredible the device is, and looking back just a few years who would have ever thought you could hold in your hand a device that is probably faster, more functional and just about anyone can operate, compared to the top of the line computers 5 years ago.

Evo, isn't perfect but it's pretty darn close and with a few updates, mods and such (which since it is Android we can do, try doing half those things on a IP4) it can only get better.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
I doubt it. There are a number of 4"+ screens out there and flagship phones from major carriers. I think they have done their research. A larger screen is not a negative to the majority especially when it's still easily accessible to average size hands.

The Droid X seems to have more complaints because of it's height, but even then, those are few and far between.

You can rest assured that if larger screens were negative, there would not be a trend towards these larger ones. The Galaxy S and Epic both with 4inches plus will make ALL of the top smart phones other than the Iphone over 4 inches in screen size.

EVO
Droid
Galaxy
Epic

These are the phones that Android/Google will use to topple the Iphone hierarchy for good. The next generation will not be getting smaller. That's for sure. Want to bet the next generation Iphone will have a bigger screen? I bet 4 inches.
Good point but I'm just saying the evo and droid x are 4.3", a decent amount larger than the galaxy s phones. And the evo is way thicker than either. The thing is huge. 3.7 or 4" seems to be the sweet spot. There are only 3 phones with screens larger than 4". The evo, droid x, and dell streak.

Upvote 0
...The thing is huge. 3.7 or 4" seems to be the sweet spot. There are only 3 phones with screens larger than 4". The evo, droid x, and dell streak.
I gotta say though, from my own personal experience (and others too I'm sure) the size of this thing is quite comfortable and hits my sweet spot :p

I'm not disagreeing with you about the 'optimal' size, but for years phones have been "tiny" to "normal" in size IMHO. And as a guy that can palm a basketball straight off a dribble, it's good to have something that fits my hands about the same way I see other phones fit other people. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones