1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I have a new icon in the black bar it's worrying me

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Weird New Status Bar Icon, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Weird New Status Bar Icon

None
    About a week ago a new icon appeared in the black bar that displays your WiFi connectivity, battery power, time, vibration status, etc. It's starting to worry me, and I can't find anything online about it. It looks like a white, bold capital N with a small, diagonal WiFi symbol ontop of its bottom left corner. It's not the same icon as the fancy looking capital N in a white box.

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

Can you post a screenshot? It sounds like it's your NFC (near field communication). It's used for phone to phone transfers (touch the phones together) and Android/Samsung Pay type apps. You can turn it off in settings if you aren't using it. Not sure exactly where it is in your settings 'cause you didn't mention what phone/Android version you have :p It's there somewhere though.

Welcome to the forums!

Mikestony and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. Zeiddo

Zeiddo Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    Female
    2016-07-07 13.10.37-1.png I have a Samsung Galaxy LTE. I checked to see if it was the NFC, and I tried turning it off but nothing changed.

4. Zeiddo

Zeiddo Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    Female
    I realize I just posted and not replied so I wanted to re post as a reply in case you didn't come to check. I have a Samsung Galaxy LTE, android version is 4.4.2. I checked to see if it was my NFC and to be sure turned it off and I still have the mystery icon. It looks like: 2016-07-07 13.10.37-1.png

5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Once your sure NFC is off try a restart. Hold down the power button until you get a menu then tap on restart.

Clementine_3 likes this.
  6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

When it appeared did you start using Samsung or Android Pay? Or install any new apps? Or get an update of any kind to your phone?

It is NFC so something flipped it on. It should go away if you are not using it and it's turned off, did the restart work?