• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I have a new icon in the black bar it's worrying me

• Thread starter Weird New Status Bar Icon
  • Start date
W

Weird New Status Bar Icon

About a week ago a new icon appeared in the black bar that displays your WiFi connectivity, battery power, time, vibration status, etc. It's starting to worry me, and I can't find anything online about it. It looks like a white, bold capital N with a small, diagonal WiFi symbol ontop of its bottom left corner. It's not the same icon as the fancy looking capital N in a white box.

Can you post a screenshot? It sounds like it's your NFC (near field communication). It's used for phone to phone transfers (touch the phones together) and Android/Samsung Pay type apps. You can turn it off in settings if you aren't using it. Not sure exactly where it is in your settings 'cause you didn't mention what phone/Android version you have :p It's there somewhere though.

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
2016-07-07 13.10.37-1.png
I have a Samsung Galaxy LTE. I checked to see if it was the NFC, and I tried turning it off but nothing changed.

Upvote 0
Can you post a screenshot? It sounds like it's your NFC (near field communication). It's used for phone to phone transfers (touch the phones together) and Android/Samsung Pay type apps. You can turn it off in settings if you aren't using it. Not sure exactly where it is in your settings 'cause you didn't mention what phone/Android version you have :p It's there somewhere though.

Welcome to the forums!

I realize I just posted and not replied so I wanted to re post as a reply in case you didn't come to check. I have a Samsung Galaxy LTE, android version is 4.4.2. I checked to see if it was my NFC and to be sure turned it off and I still have the mystery icon. It looks like:
2016-07-07 13.10.37-1.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones