• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just want my phone to work

mdunn

Lurker
Sep 8, 2010
So I've had my Eris for about 5 or 6 month and I have never had so many problems with a phone in my life. There are multiple problems I am having.
1. My phone is ridiculously slow and freezes easily.:thinking:
2. I'm getting pretty sick and tired or my phone doing whatever it wants, whenever it wants to.:thinking:
For instant, my Eris has learned to resend texts. It will, at any given time, for any given reason, resend old messages that are in my outbox.
3. Sometimes my alarm will wake me up for work, and sometimes, it just doesn't. :thinking:

I have been into the Verizon store multiple times, and have been given advice on how to make it run faster. I have downloaded the task killer and use it a million times a day. It helps a little, but only with the speed issues. PLEASE...IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVISE LET ME KNOW. I would love nothing more than to throw it at the wall, but I know it won't help. :)
All I want is a phone that will work when I want it to, and go at a decent speed. For the amount of money I paid for this phone, I expected to get a good phone, but....all I got was a really expensive phone with the speed of a phone I had 10 years ago. SUPER ANNOYING.

Hello mdunn, and welcome to Android Forums.

Sorry to see you're having those issues with your Eris.

If it were mine having those problems, the first thing I would think of is doing a factory data reset, after backing up my apps, etc.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

Sometimes even a live battery pull will bring the device around to better behavior, you may want to try that first (remove the battery while the Eris is on, wait for a minute or so then put it back in and reboot).

The text resending makes me wonder what texting app you are using.

Reactions: mdunn
Upvote 0
The texting problems just started about a month ago. I have been using Handsent SMS for my texting app. I have been using the same app since I got my phone. It's just weird.
And the task killer was killing my clock. But when I realized it, I unchecked the clock, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
One more thing I might add is when using a task killer it can also kill your alarm clock. Check your task killer settings and make sure its not killing your clock/alarm. This very thing was happening to my wifes phone...

That's right.. we've seen a lot of reports of that here.

Especially in the "you have to have a task killer!" threads. :D

Upvote 0
I bought the Droid Eris in Feb. when it first came out. Since then I have gone through 3 defective versions. My sister is on her second. Mine was freezing, battery life was about 3 hours, brought my charger EVERYWHERE. It was sssssssllllllloooooowwwww. When I went back to Verizon to discuss the problems about my second one they told me that if I continued to have problems, they would first set me up with another Eris. If that was defective- then they would set me up with the Motorola Droid. Well this past Saturday, I went back to Verizon. They sent me the Motorola Droid. Long story short- I think HTC put their phone out too fast before testing it for a long enough period of time. Go to Verizon. :)

Upvote 0
My wife has an Eris. It works flawlessly, but hasn't always done so. After the 2.1 update, she had all sorts of odd issues. Random things running themselves, phone autocalling someone she seldom calls, etc... She took it to the Verizon store. The rep downloaded a task killer and said that that would take care of all of her problems. The problems only multiplied. At this point she (my wife) decided to tell me about the problems she was having (she tends to be a bit independent.) I did a hot battery pull and that did nothing. I uninstalled some suspicious apps, which did not help. I finally convinced her that the VZW rep didn't have a clue about how to correct the problem and she let me uninstall the task killer. Well that got us back to the starting point. After convincing her that a factory reset wouldn't lose anything that she had on the phone, she agreed to let me do that. After the factory reset, the phone has worked flawlessly. Battery life is good, no haphazard occurrences, no random dialing...

On the Android OS, the only time a task killer is of any good is when you have a poorly coded app that doesn't shut itself down properly. Your phone is designed to manage tasks itself and when an app is written well, this feature works well. If you must have a task killer installed, limit it to only kill apps that you have installed and that you know don't do anything in the background. For example, if you have a calculator program that you installed, it obviously doesn't need to stay active when you finish with it. Set your task killer to kill this type of software, not the native stuff on the phone. I had a friend that went the task killer route and somehow got it to kill the service that polled the radio for incoming calls. This caused all sorts of issues.

On to the factory reset... Evidently the "Seamless" upgrade for 2.1 wasn't "Seamless" on all phones. I have a few friends that got the upgrade and had no issues at all, but I also have a couple of friends (and my wife) that received an OTA gone sour. My personal experience with the factory reset on both my wife's phone and a friends was that it went very smoothly and after reactivating and reregistering the phone (on google,) all of the apps that they had installed came back within an hour of the reset and all of the issues that they were receiving were gone.

Bottom line, be careful (very careful) with a task killer, I would recommend finding the offending app(s) and dealing with them and just getting rid of the task killer. Do a factory reset, it can't hurt and in my experience, resolves the issues that some folks see with the OTA.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm at work and don't want to do anything and this makes me looks as though I'm working.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones