• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I Need Help Rooting the Wildfire S on VM

sportsinger75

Aug 22, 2011
Hey all,

I'm a bit stuck here. I'm trying to root my Wildfire S on Virgin CDMA so that I can remove some of the bloatware and free up some memory, but I'm not sure where to start. It seems that I need to unlock the bootloader first, but when I go to HTC's Dev site and select the Wildfire S to proceed, the "Begin Unlock Bootloader" button does nothing...both on Chrome and IE9. I'm confused and I'm not even sure if I need to unlock the bootloader. There seem to be so many Wildfire S makes out there for different carriers and I'm confused as to what root guide to follow and how to get HTCdev.com to work. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Root the HTC Wildfire S

Plain and simple. Nothing else needs to be said.
Gaining S-OFF with a Goldcard is much simpler than unlocking the bootloader, if you have a MarvelC. And this guide doesn't say anything about how to accomplish that. I also don't like the outdated Recovery. We're up to 5.0.2.8 now, and there is a different one for both Marvel and MarvelC, a distinction this guide fails to make.

Sorry to bang it so hard, but it's got some issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones