• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need some help with an issue

xploPR

Android Expert
Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, VA.
Hey whatsup, can someone please help me out with an issue, im was using rom vm-revamp-20130128.zip and CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 for over a month now, until this morning, that the phone started rebooting, and when it finish the boot, it shows the startup menu like after you flash a new rom that you have to pick the language and beging the new setup, but that's not all, it starts rebooting again by itself and wont let me finish the setup.

anyone knows why it's doing that, i didn't mess with recovery or wiped anything, it just did that randomly, i have lot of data in there, that i would not like to lose :(

Hey whatsup, can someone please help me out with an issue, im was using rom vm-revamp-20130128.zip and CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 for over a month now, until this morning, that the phone started rebooting, and when it finish the boot, it shows the startup menu like after you flash a new rom that you have to pick the language and beging the new setup, but that's not all, it starts rebooting again by itself and wont let me finish the setup.

anyone knows why it's doing that, i didn't mess with recovery or wiped anything, it just did that randomly, i have lot of data in there, that i would not like to lose :(

Try reflashing the rom. No need to wipe data. Just make a backup as usual, then wipe /system. DONT wipe data or youll lose all your stuff. Then just the flash the rom as normal. Tell me if it works. Id also try a newer recovery. 5.5.0.4 or 6.0.1.? are the ones that are the most used.

Reactions: xploPR
Upvote 0
thanks all, i tried making a backup before flashing but when it was backing up data it gave me an error, that data image couldn't be backup, so i went ahead and flashed the rom with out wiping data but when i booted after flashing it did erased all data, so now i will do a fresh install wiping everything, i will also flash a newer recovery, which recovery version should i download?

about the sd card, its the same sd card that came with the phone, but i just notice that when i go to the default gallery app. it won't show any of my pictures. gallery comes up empty, but if i stick the sd card to computer slot, it will show all files including pictures.

Upvote 0
thanks all, i did flash the rom again with out wiping data, but i did lose all data, i also tried to make a backup but when it was backing up data, it gave me an error, that data image couldn't be backup, so now i will do a fresh install wiping everything, i will also flash a newer recovery, which recovery version should i download?

about the sd card, its the same sd card that came with the phone, but i just notice that when i go to the default gallery app. it won't show any of my pictures. gallery comes up empty, but if i stick the sd card to computer slot, it will show all files including pictures.

Did you wipe data/cache? If you did thats why you lost all your data. If you just wiped /system, then flashed the rom again like normal, you shouldnt have lost your data.

And for the recovery, i would 5504 or 6015(<- i think thats the right last number)

Reactions: xploPR
Upvote 0
Did you wipe data/cache? If you did thats why you lost all your data. If you just wiped /system, then flashed the rom again like normal, you shouldnt have lost your data.

And for the recovery, i would 5504 or 6015(<- i think thats the right last number)

i did wipe cache, and dalvik cache, not sure if i was supposed to wipe that, im still learning :eek:

i will search for that recovery version now.

Upvote 0
On recovery, did you go into Mounts and Storage->Wipe /System and Wipe /Cache? Or did you click wipe data and cache from the main scren?

I wiped cache partition from main screen, then went to advance and wipe dalvik cache, i didn't go to Mounts and storage. i did wrong?

i haven't flash new recovery or rom yet, how should i do the steps this time?

Upvote 0
I wiped cache partition from main screen, then went to advance and wipe dalvik cache, i didn't go to Mounts and storage. i did wrong?

i haven't flash new recovery or rom yet, how should i do the steps this time?

Ok. It might work, not sure since you are on an older recovery, but...
1.boot into recovery
2.make a backup(in case you mess up somewhere)
3.go to Mounts and Storage->wipe /system. Then you can wipe /cache.
4.Flash the rom.
5.Reboot

If it doesnt boot, get a newer recovery then follow those steps. Hope this helps ya.

Upvote 0
thanks all, i tried making a backup before flashing but when it was backing up data it gave me an error, that data image couldn't be backup, so i went ahead and flashed the rom with out wiping data but when i booted after flashing it did erased all data, so now i will do a fresh install wiping everything, i will also flash a newer recovery, which recovery version should i download?

I hope you don't have a failing SDcard slot. I have seen that before. One way to test is to try another card or formatting the card (in Windows, FAT for 2GB, FAT32 for bigger). Of course backup the data on the card first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones