• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think I am done with windows

Too late. I now have a 15" base MBP right now. Its the one I probably should have bought in the first place.

From what I have heard the Ivy Bridge Intel chips are not going to be a huge performance increase, what 10%? Even so, this is apple, so I expect an incremental upgrade anyway :)

I haven't looked into what the new chips can do, but I do know your MBP will run circles around my 2010 dual core! :D congrat on the new laptop btw. I consider the MBP the top of the laptop food chain. It's not iOS, so the walled garden isn't so high.

Reactions: ajdroidx
Upvote 0
Well, updated my motherboard bios and installed the latest driver for my video card to see if that helps things. But so far the spinning icon above the mouse pointer is still there (almost as if something is running in the background).

Also on boot when windows desktop comes up, I get a window that says server busy and gives me an option to retry or something else. Could be my antivirus popping up - Avira the message.

More digging around. I may just need to do a clean install of windows. At least hard drives are cheap but my other hardware is getting dated. I am starting to fear for my data - Raw files of photographs

Upvote 0
Well, updated my motherboard bios and installed the latest driver for my video card to see if that helps things. But so far the spinning icon above the mouse pointer is still there (almost as if something is running in the background).

Also on boot when windows desktop comes up, I get a window that says server busy and gives me an option to retry or something else. Could be my antivirus popping up - Avira the message.

More digging around. I may just need to do a clean install of windows. At least hard drives are cheap but my other hardware is getting dated. I am starting to fear for my data - Raw files of photographs

Get a good 2-3tb external and back your picture files up, RAW is not subject to the degradation jpegs experience when being copied repeatedly.

After that, a clean install is always a good cure-all as long as it is not a hardware issue. Barring any problems I usually wipe and reload once each year and a half, more if the need arises. My record is a little over two years on an install but I play around with things a lot which tends to muck up the registry.

Upvote 0
Updated some stuff on the desktop and still having issues. My USB 2 slots are now (and have been USB 1.1) - I plugged my nexus in and it said this device can run faster if installed into a USB 2 port.

Mouse still acting strange, Double clicks, scrolling a window up will select the window behind it or deactivate the window. Still the spinning. I tried to play a video and it was super choppy.

Yeah, something is not right.

I got a spare 2 TB HDD sitting in the bay thats just unplugged I was going to use to back up my MBP when I was going to install an SSD but never got around to it. So, I think I will pull all the drives in the desktop, install the fresh 2TB drive, boot from CD and re-install windows. Perhaps I should try the SSD again first?

Last time I attempted to use the SSD I could not get windows 7 64bit to update. It kept looping. Could have been driver issues or the motherboard (its a p55-ud3r revision 1) which supports SATA 1 I think. The drive is a SATA II with the 6gbps standard. I did update the motherboard bios so I could try it again, if nothing else use 32bit windows

Upvote 0
Removed all the drives in my system, put in the SSD with 64bit windows 7 installed on it along with a 2tb drive for storage and my dvd burner. All other drives are out. Doing a fresh install of windows 32bit (I don't have much use for 64bit windows - my hardware is a bit old anyway). I may set aside about 15gb for a linux distro too.

Upvote 0
Seems like my mouse is having one of the problems. Wonder if the wireless keyboard is interfering with the mouses receiver?

Trying the old mouse again.

Oh, and it turns out, I no longer have my ESATA ports. I guess I could install the driver disc for the motherboard, but, meh, I don't think so. USB 2.0 should be enough.

Upvote 0
Removed all the drives in my system, put in the SSD with 64bit windows 7 installed on it along with a 2tb drive for storage and my dvd burner. All other drives are out. Doing a fresh install of windows 32bit (I don't have much use for 64bit windows - my hardware is a bit old anyway). I may set aside about 15gb for a linux distro too.

If your system is 64bit you should definitely install 64bit Windows, it uses the resources more effectively, especially RAM.

Upvote 0
I've been using Macs for two years, since i started in graphic design. I don't miss windows at all. The interface is great, everything runs smoothly, and I've had minimal issues. Keep in mind that the genius bar is essentially collected ignorance, but that's what Google is for.

Also, if you're a gamer, especially a heavy gamer, consider other options. While Macs are getting more games, they honestly don't run as well. I keep an alienware laptop for gaming.

Upvote 0
If your system is 64bit you should definitely install 64bit Windows, it uses the resources more effectively, especially RAM.

I agree that it uses RAM more effectively and also CPU where programmed correctly.

That said, windows and windows programmes are still well behind Linux. There are STILL issues with compatability, 10 years after Windows started with XP 64.

Upvote 0
Fedora dual boot with win 7 both are x64 and Windows gets opened every know and then do to the fact that not giving a prisoner :p day light every now and then is cruel. No I just really have no use for it. Windows has to many issues. I hate the fact that programs I paid for can not be used in the newest version unless I pay those mongers even more money to use their crappy program. At least when it was 9x I wasn't forced into updating all my hardware just to get to use buggy features that sucked to begin with. With 9x everything sucked right off the disk without having to spend more money to find it out :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones