• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I727 won't turn on, vibrates every two seconds...

I had the same problem with my wife's phone and i have been researching the problem and found out it is a a power button issues. Apparently this has been a problem with the S2. The way you can tell if it is a power button being stuck on is, when you put the battery in and it starts to boot keep hitting the power button repeatedly while booting and see if the phone boots up. After i worked the power button for a couple minutes the phone seems to be working fine now, but i am sure this problem is going to get worse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps

Yes, I agree with Adam. The problem appears to be with the power button.

Step 1: Remove the battery

Step 2: Re-insert the battery into the phone while at the same time you must repeatedly press the power button as the phone begins to start on so that the vibrating will stop. From there, the phone should boot up as normal to the main menu.

I hope this helps with everyone encountering the same problem on the Galaxy S2 as it worked for me and my phone was able to turn on and the vibrating came to an end. Enjoy!

Upvote 0
its a sticky power button. i tried everything mentioned on the internet, like beating the crap out of te phone and all. but one day i was driving with the phone on the dashboard. when i picked it up, it was hot as hell due to the sunlight. but worked like a charm since then. try putting it to direct sunlight for a while. Normally a sticky button is caused by moisture in form of water or sweat.

Upvote 0
Had a customer bring me a Samsung Galaxy S2 lte with the vibrate every 2 seconds problem.
I seen post for the smack the hell out of it. It made me think, if the power button is stuck, then quick releasing the switch might reset it. I removed the battery, sim and SD card. Then removed the screws and popped off the rear cover to access the mother board. I located the power button switch. I then used a small screw driver and pressed down the switch and slid the screw driver passed the end of the switch so the spring in the switch would reset the switch. Did this a few times. I put the phone back together and Voila!!! It worked! Hope this helps!

Reactions: Irina
Upvote 0
Had a customer bring me a Samsung Galaxy S2 lte with the vibrate every 2 seconds problem.
I seen post for the smack the hell out of it. It made me think, if the power button is stuck, then quick releasing the switch might reset it. I removed the battery, sim and SD card. Then removed the screws and popped off the rear cover to access the mother board. I located the power button switch. I then used a small screw driver and pressed down the switch and slid the screw driver passed the end of the switch so the spring in the switch would reset the switch. Did this a few times. I put the phone back together and Voila!!! It worked! Hope this helps!

Thanks very much for the above advice. Worked like a charm. I was having the exact same problem as all the rest in this thread and was ready to just move on to a new phone thinking mine was done (Rogers Samsung S2 LTE). Followed clackity box's advice and rebooted without a problem right away. Found this vid on youtube on how to pop the back off as I was kind off tentative.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Disassemble Repair & Assemble - Screen & Case Replacement - YouTube

Once i got it off i gently moved a small screwdriver back and forth across the small white power button a few times. then I popped the battery back in and the phone booted up normal. Pretty happy about that.

Thanks all !!

G.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION: I just ran into the same problem with my Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket i727. This is a simple fix you will need a micro screw driver and something to pry the back off the phone to reach the board inside, I used a knife. First take battery and sim card out along with any SD card you may have. Then take all screws out of the back of the phone. Then with a pry tool carefully pry off the back cover, easiest to start near volume buttons and work your way around the phone. Once cover is off you will notice a blue cord that runs down the left side of where your battery would normally be. On each end of the blue cord there are little connectors. If one has come loose plug it back in. Or if they are still plugged in unplug them and reconnect them. Then put your sim card back in along with battery and turn it on. It worked the first time I tried it

thanx a ton. this solution worked for me and you saved me :)

Upvote 0
my own experience:
its because of moisture, wait for the button to get dried. leave it in the sunlight, or i wont recommend but what i did was to use a hair dryer near the button and it worked. try to keep the power button safe from wet hands once it gets working again. i took it to get repaired and the fellow there said that if you want to spend money i can replace the button otherwise wait for it to get dry. i waited and its been good since months.

Upvote 0
hi I had the same problem with my s2 skyrocket is so aggravating don't know what else to do trust me when I tell you pulling the battery will not do shit take the battery out separate the frame from the front glass you can go on YouTube find out how to do it when you see the power button little white buttOn get you some peer silicone spray spray some On atoothpick let one little drop go in 2 the buttOn perfect fix for mine

Upvote 0
hi I had the same problem with my s2 skyrocket

Wow... talk about bring a thread back from the dead!

As you discovered, the power switch is defective.

See these threads for more info:
Galaxy S II Won't Turn On!!! Only beeps!!!
samsung galaxy s II won't turn on-vibrates | Support
Blank Screen, Will not do anything except pulse... | Support
FIX: Constant reboot and vibrates every two seconds
Galaxy SII SPH-D710 Power Button issues

It's a VERY common problem on all the US Galaxy S2 models. "Cleaning" it with compressed air, oil, silicon spray, rubbing alcohol, etc will be a temporary solution at best. To fix the problem, the switch needs to be replaced.

If you don't have insurance coverage and are out of warranty, you can replace the switch yourself. Several eBay sellers offer the switch for under $10:
AT&T I727 I777 power switch | eBay

Or, if your soldering skills aren't up to snuff, you can mail it in to be repaired for about $40:
AT&T i727 galaxy s2 bad power switch repair service | eBay

Upvote 0
SOLUTION: I just ran into the same problem with my Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket i727. This is a simple fix you will need a micro screw driver and something to pry the back off the phone to reach the board inside, I used a knife. First take battery and sim card out along with any SD card you may have. Then take all screws out of the back of the phone. Then with a pry tool carefully pry off the back cover, easiest to start near volume buttons and work your way around the phone. Once cover is off you will notice a blue cord that runs down the left side of where your battery would normally be. On each end of the blue cord there are little connectors. If one has come loose plug it back in. Or if they are still plugged in unplug them and reconnect them. Then put your sim card back in along with battery and turn it on. It worked the first time I tried it

I have taken the screws out, but the back cover seems to be sealed...glued...not sure. I don't want to proceed and cause damage if yours was not tightly sealed like this.

Upvote 0

Thanks your post was very helpful. I did it with your help. Yes ppl it is a power button and wait before you replace it do it yourself and it should definatly should work for you. I tried to do it like 5 times and volla!!!!!!;) so exited. Good luck guys to you hope it'll work for you all who is having the same problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones