• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I7500XEFJB2- Phone never sleeps !!!

This might be way off, but could this sleep/battery issue have anything to do with the new way the unlock button behaves in JB2/1.6? Before, we needed to push unlock to bring up the "locked" screen which included some minimal state info, then press and hold unlock to bring up the "draw pattern" screen.
With JB2 (on my phone anyway) a quick press on the unlock button now brings me straight to the "draw pattern" screen. I had been thinking that this new behavior was a fix finally implemented by samsung, but now I am wondering if perhaps it skips the "locked" screen because it has never gone to sleep.

I really hope this is not the issue, because the unlock button is so much more functional this way.

Upvote 0
Guys,
for sure its a firmware issue!
I was using for a couple of days with a lot of apps installed and the battery behavor was like ik5. Sudenlly the battery started to drain very fast and I decided to take all the apps out.
Nothing change here, even after a boot!

I believe its something related to the camera. I do not use it and even so, its the application with more "using time" in the CPU list.

Is it possible to disable the camera app?

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure it's not camera, and more network related (data network related to be precise).
I happen to be currently in a foreign country, and therefore have data completely disabled of course.
As it is, for the last 4 hours my battery level has stayed on a stationary 61%...
I unplugged it about 1:30 minutes before switching it off in the plane, by what time it plunged from 99 to 75%, and that was now 36h ago or so, and has only since dropped to 61%, due mainly to mp3 player usage.
i am pretty sure if someone tried to delete their APN or use APNdroid, they would notice the battery drop to cease...

Upvote 0
anyone proves Pieter wrong?

Let me summarize all thesefindings about the phone never sleeps bug:

- it happens for people with no applications installed, and with applications installed
- some people say: if you uninstall goggles, then reboot, it's gone for a while!
- some people say: if you disable wireless location, then reboot, it's gone for a while!
- if you change nothign at all and reboot, it's gone for a while!

So, we can conclude:

- it happens regardless of installed applications or settings
- A reboot fixes the problem, but it will come back
- the issue is not caused by an application, but by the samsung firmware

???

Upvote 0
the problem wasn't about cpu not being able to throttle down to 245MHz, it's about sleeping. those two things you mentioned can't solve this bug.

I cannot discern the logical relationship here either, but after installing setCPU and running the sleep/standby profile at 320max/245min, and after approximately 6 hours of normal daily use*, I have the following results:

Running: 13.3%
Screen on: 3.8%

This is after two days of normal use reporting Running at 100%.

* I am not a very good scientist. I also limited my data connection to 2G only and kept Autosync off for most of the day. So much for one variable at a time.

Upvote 0
My tests reproduce the No Sleep error if I place a call and then let the caller end the call. Like if I call my VM or auto parking attendant and let it time out and they hang up on me rather than me ending the call the phone will not sleep after. But if I make a call and I hangup the phone will sleep as normal.

Each call was made after a fresh boot and Goggles is not installed.

These are just my observations. Can anyone reproduce?

Has anyone tried reproducing this?

Upvote 0
fresh boot is prob main reason No sleep issue not showing

usually works properly for a while after fresh boot then issue returns

RellikZephyr
yep i think i see the same, but yesterday uninstalled google voice search and some other apps and then rebooted and in 8 hours the screen usage is the same as time spent without sleeping :)
don't know if it's related but i hope it is.
i uninstalled voice search as it's not working properly anyway (actually working very randomly).
will let you know if the no sleep issue comes back.

Upvote 0
Hrm.. guys using minfreemanager and setcpu, with advanced task killer. Do you guys have to include the 3 said apps in your ignore list? I have a running 70% vs screen on 2% battery history record... I don't have a clue why. The only thing that should be running with my screen off is the battery indicator.

Also, I have disabled ALL data connections, so I don't think it's that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones